Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomorepowderedmilk ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 12:11AM

Now that Mormons can get married in a regular ceremony and then be sealed after without waiting a year, are they choosing to do that? Most of my Mormon loved ones are already married.

Have any of you been to a post-policy change wedding? What was it like? Is it still encouraged to get sealed first?

I would love an update since I don't run in those circles as much anymore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 06:06PM

Just got back from traveling to CA for one last Friday. The wedding was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever been to. The venue was outdoors, the greenery and flowers were abundant with only family and close friends—- about 50 people, and still a little COVID aware. There are active, inactive, and non members in both families and there was no “you’re not worthy to be here” crap. Beautiful wedding, catered dinner, dancing and socializing. I cried to see the bride walk down the aisle on her father’s arm. Oh how many generations of Mormon brides missed that amazing moment. Instead we were looking in those mirrors at endless images of ourselves covered in Masonic togas, fig leaves and polygamy-looking veils.

They were going to go to Oakland the next day for the sealing but an unwelcome wedding guest-Mr. Norovirus, put a stop to that and the honeymoon. He visited most of us before the week was through. So they’re going on to where they will be working for the summer, in the area where the bride’s family is from and will have a sealing next month. They can make that a special occasion of its own.

I know some couples are still having the wedding in the temple. Another nephew was married in March and did that. However, I can see the trend toward real weddings with sealings later growing real fast. Kids will go to friends’ weddings and the contrast will be striking. Also many parents will want to outdo the others. I think they will start getting creative. Maybe beach weddings or destination weddings. It’s a whole new world for these kids and I’m so happy for them. There is nothing uglier than a temple wedding.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 07:15PM

Another plus of a normal wedding is that the couple can have their younger siblings and unmarried friends attend. The wedding that you attended sounds like it was lovely, NormaRae.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 06:21PM

A mormon woman whom I thought less of just waltzed into the sealing room where my BYU temple bride and I were being sealed and sat and watched the deed being done.

Then afterward she came up to us and spoke to me... I forget her exact words, but it was essentially, "See? There someone for everybody!" Then she turned and waddled out of the room.

She was living proof that women don't need to have the priesthood to be in charge of the family. All she needed was to be in charge of the priesthood holder, and oh, boy, was she!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 07:37PM

Too bad they don't get married in their garments with only the "temple toga," apron, sash, and slippers over them given that no children can attend. That would be the true order of wedding.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: May 13, 2021 08:20PM

Should of been this way for 30 years but wasn't.

Sounds like a better thing. I hope they skip the sealing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.