Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tractingcookies ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 01:53AM

As a child, it was normal to see racks in the back of pickup trucks for rifles.
My last experiences with a Mormon with a gun was very odd. Apparently they had to bring a gun and and display it and proclaim something like “WOW. I have a gun” (everything legal of course)
I don’t know why they went out of their way to show me that they carry a firearm in their trunk of their vehicle (he on about 4 occasions would go to the trunk of his vehicle, bring it into the automobile, and then hurriedly place the firearm back in the trunk)
Just completely weird.
Another time, his father showed me his firearm and placed it the hotel safe.
I really don’t understand why did this, however I did feel very uncomfortable about the repeated bringing of the firearm from the trunk to the car.
Also, purchasing ammunition without a firearm was weird, and I guess he was saying, “I can’t have a sidearm, however I will purchase ammunition”.
I’ve contemplated purchasing a gun, however I don’t really have any use for one. I don’t shoot skeet or anything, maybe just having one would make me feel powerful or something like that.
Since I don’t have a gun, maybe purchasing ammunition would make me feel super special and important?
If you have a firearm, just have it, and if you are nefarious, you definitely wouldn’t show it.
Also, I’d absolutely like my .22 back sweetness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:34AM

I grew up around guns. My father kept a handgun for protection, and both he and my brother owned rifles. My dad was a champion marksman in his day, traveling all over the country for competitions. He also went up to Maine to do hunting in his younger days. My brother was an Army captain. They both used to occasionally do target practice in our enormous back yard, which was right next to an extensive forest (so therefore, no danger to humans.)

I don't understand those who feel the need to amass arsenals of weapons, or who feel the need for assault rifles. That's not gun ownership, that's insanity.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 02:33PM

I am assuming that those who need protection see a need for protection from someone with a gun.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 02:51PM

... and zombies!

Date: May 14, 2021 10:23PM

I have not delved into the realm of zombies. I did see a comedy about British zombies and they had to be shot in the brain to get them to stop zombie'ing.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 10:59PM

Vinyl records don’t really work.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 02:56PM

> I am assuming that those who need protection see a
> need for protection from someone with a gun.

Such a simple sentence, such important implications.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 03:04PM

kentish Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am assuming that those who need protection see a need for protection from someone with a gun.

On advice from my police officer good friend/poker buddy, I have armed myself. As he told me, "When seconds matter, do you really want to be waiting and hoping that a police officer is nearby and able to be dispatched?" I LOVE my AR-15. My gal LOVES her Springfield 9mm handgun.

If "someone" wants to attempt to enter my home uninvited to come after my possessions or attempt to do harm to myself and/or loved ones...I really don't give a shit if he has a gun or not.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 05:34PM

Nope.
I grew up in Utah and my older brother had a BB gun. He was 4 years older than me. He thought it was great fun to shoot me and my friends with the BB gun. It wasn't fun and it hurt to be shot. Did I want my brother blown away with a high powered hunting rifle? Of course not, I wanted the gun TAKEN from him by an adult. I wasn't counting on anyone with a gun to come and save me.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:45AM

ammo can be a good investment for when the economy turns south, just like gold, or bitcoin. I'm mostly stocking up on cryptocurrancy at present, guns are kinda dangerous for most people. Just my opinion.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 10:02PM

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/4a9d3e61d6d1a9e9618e0b777b1d3bd59194d954c56b1b0f13ba53a4e6f1839f.jpg?w=600&h

Edit: to add link for meme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2021 10:44PM by caffiend.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 02:37PM

Maybe they’re compensating for something.

Date: May 14, 2021 02:54PM

Is this about my six-axle, twin-dually, 6-door, jacked-up, 1-ton pick-up truck?

Hey, It's a legit need, for when I make Costco runs!!!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 03:54PM

Were you that debonair camo clad dude buying a whole pallet of toilet paper?

Date: May 14, 2021 04:00PM

The Most Interesting Man in the World doesn't always use toilet paper, but when he does he prefers Charmin.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 10:03PM

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 04:29PM

I grew up in Idaho. Guns were everywhere.

Most of the Mormons I knew who were armed mostly had shotguns and deer rifles, since hunting's a big part of Idaho culture. A few were anti-government nuts (a couple of which, I'm sorry to say, I'm biologically related to) who had AK-47s that they said they could modify to shoot full auto in case "the liberals" tried to take their guns away. Free advice: if your response to the idea of gun control is to start stocking an armory and modifying semi-autos to shoot full auto, you're the greatest argument in favor of gun control. Please get help.

I thought about getting a gun sometimes (an asshole ex-roommate threatened to kill me after I told him to either stop mooching off me or move out), but the nearest shooting range is too far to ride my bike and I don't have a car. Plus, I haven't fired a gun since I was training at Great Lakes in 2012.

Also, I don't have a problem with people who own guns and have some sense. You know, the ones who don't feel the need to flash their guns at folks (you're adults, it's time to stop playing Cowboys!), keep their guns unloaded when in storage, and use their guns primarily for hunting, skeet shooting, and target practice are all right.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 07:31PM

Back in the sixties the director of the U of Utah Institute of Religion (a family friend) proudly announced that he had a small stockpile of firearms to protect he and his family against "jaybirds", whom everybody knew had maps of the LDS residences in every major US city. You know, with all that stored food and firepower.

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2021 07:31PM by slskipper.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 11:48PM

Not sure why Hamas does not understand that if they fire rockets into Israel they will get it back ten fold.

Not sure why Israel does not understand that if you evict Palestinians from their homes to give them to Israelis, Palestinians will get angry a riot and that it can spill over into rocket attacks from Gaza.

Date: May 15, 2021 12:19AM

Not sure why anyone would think agreements between Israel and rich Emiratis would solve a problem between Israel and impoverished Palestinians.

Are the latter supposed to feel better because Israel has improved its relations with other countries?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 03:14AM

I am not a gun person, but I don't have an issue with people who own guns as long as they are truly responsible.

Just recently, on a forum for fellow aviation professionals, a person asked about the consequences of trying to take a loaded gun through security at an airport. He claimed he forgot where he had put it, and ended up using that back while deadheading for a trip (in case there are any aviation professionals on here, this guy was a King Air pilot, flying FAR part 91 operations, so he was not KCM eligible). I asked him if he thought he was a responsible gun owner. He thought he was, and he claimed there was no danger of his bag being accidentally grabbed by a child because "toddlers and little children cannot pull the triggers on guns". I proceeded to provide him seven reports in just the past six months of toddlers finding guns in bags or purses, and killing either themselves or someone else after pulling the trigger. I also shared an article from three years ago that showed that toddlers accidentally firing guns was an almost weekly occurrence. So I told him that the fact he forgets where he keeps his gun, and he was completely unaware of the ability of children to accidentally fire gun, meant he certainly did not meet my standards for being a responsible gun owner. That did not go over well. But those are the types of people I take issue with. If you know where your guns are located, you know how to properly use and store a gun, you know the dangers of them getting into the wrong hands, and you have them secured so they cannot accidentally fall into the wrong hands, then fine. But don't call yourself "responsible" if you are grossly ignorant of the dangers and risks and you forget where you keep it.

Date: May 15, 2021 12:39PM

Would the massive number of deaths, accidental and deliberate, involving guns in the US each year suggest that gun owners are responsible or not?

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 01:01PM

Not at all.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 09:00AM

kentish Wrote:
> Would the massive number of deaths, accidental and
> deliberate, involving guns in the US each year
> suggest that gun owners are responsible or not?

I certainly believe that the majority of gun owners are responsible. But there is a very sizable minority who believe themselves to be responsible, but demonstrate that they are not through acts such as forgetting where they put their gun. Then of course there are the bad actors who are clearly not responsible, and don't care whether they are responsible or not. I think the overwhelming majority of people, gun folks or not, would agree that the last category is a problem. It is the sizable minority where I think the biggest divide is, because that group of people clearly do not have the self awareness and discipline to recognize their own shortcomings with responsible gun ownership.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 03:44PM

One of the most terrifying things about small kids who find unsecured guns is that they're often not strong enough or may not have the reach to use their index fingers to pull the trigger. So they use their thumbs.

Date: May 15, 2021 04:23PM

Horrific.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:34AM

Recently in Rigby, Idaho, a 6th grader girl shot a couple people at her Middle School. Thankfully they were not fatal.

I know she is a minor and all, but there is a lot of information that never got reported on the news. How did she get the gun? Why did she do this? It feels like no one wants to criticize gun owners or something around here. I'm sure the bishop is taking care of the situation (snark). I would have thought there would be a big outcry about kids accessing guns, but no.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 02:09PM

If we don't have guns how will we protect ourselves from christians ?

Date: May 15, 2021 02:13PM

We could challenge them to thumb wars.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 08:22PM

They're probably happy with finger wars

Posted by: tractingcookies ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 07:02AM

Not exactly sure why someone would “hide” a gun. Maybe they are paranoid about someone taking it away? If I was on a normal business trip or vacation, I’d absolutely not hide it, or proclaim it. (Unless on an airplane)
The need for firearms has decreased, however some people have found great solace in knowing that they have it to do great things.
John Wayne is dead. He wasn’t stabbed to death.

Date: May 16, 2021 10:26AM

I am reminded of my first touchdown in North America and seeing my first ever handgun on a policeman's hip. And that was Canada, the next door neighbor that has not succumb to the gun slaughter.

Posted by: Theeetherealthem ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 12:10PM

May I remind you that everything you have is secured by brave men who are willing to give the enemy the maximum opportunity to die for their organization/beliefs/country.

Date: May 16, 2021 06:00PM

Not sure we are talking about the same thing.

Date: May 16, 2021 06:18PM

Toddlers in diapers?

It would be helpful to differentiate between the military/police and various categories of civilians who are heavily armed but do not contribute to social stability and safety.

Date: May 16, 2021 06:34PM

Being raised in a different culture and living in the US, even after all these years, can be a difficult thing at times. The posters' comment sounds like something out of the movie Patton and his speech to soldiers under his command.

I might have posted this before but it but the post caused me to revisit a You Tube piece in which Kenneth Branagh reenacts a speech delivered before the Iraq invasion to Northern Irish British troops. Not sure of the exact address but it can be found at You Tube Col. Tim Collins' inspirational speech - Kenneth Branagh The speech was taken down word for word by a reporter. It's good sometimes to have a reminder of a less "kick their butts" attitude that dehumanize, I think. .

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 08:28PM

Is this a complaint?

Why don't you get your .22 back? Would you use a cap gun to get it? Or a squirt gun?

Is this about Mormons or guns? It sounds like the latter.

Whats the matter?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 03:05AM

My dad was a WWII vet. He had a German Lugar he took off a German officer they took prisoner. I remember we had some old beater German K98K carbines that had no bolts and the trigger was filed down to where they would cock the action if you put a bolt in them. Those were our play guns. I remember they still had the eagle and swastika proof marks on them. But we played war in the vacant lot next door.

People would freak out now but during my childhood nobody cared.

Posted by: Pachinko ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 06:33AM

Another US = World post.

Most LDS in most countries have no gun culture. A handful do, but they are the exception.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 11:00AM

I was recently speaking with a close friend who works with a number of Millenial and and Generation X active Mormon males at a Utah professional office. He's mentioned on a number of occasions how obsessed they are with owning guns and making sure their conceled weapons permits work in other states. They are only interested in hand guns and AK47 type rifles.

I'm not against owning firearms. I enjoy fall days grouse hunting with my god. I still don't understand the need to arm yourself like an army.

Posted by: Investigating atheism ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 08:28PM

Does your god flush or point?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 11:27AM

For some it is religion (emotion)
For others merely a tool (reason)

What's the critical difference between these two?
That's what is interesting.
The what is interesting; the emotion/argument is itself boring.

(Fer variety and grins, substitute southern war monuments.)

Posted by: War In Gifs ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 11:42AM

Doesn't have much to do with Mormons, as this is just generally more of an American thing.

But yeah, I go by the (Sorry) 'penis rule' for gun safety. Perfectly fine to have one, but don't go waving it around in public, letting random strangers handle it, showing it off to kids, keeping it in unsafe places, etc.

Sounds like your 'acquaintance' needs to learn this rule, hopefully only for the guns.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 12:04PM

War In Gifs Wrote:
> But yeah, I go by the (Sorry) 'penis rule' for gun
> safety. Perfectly fine to have one, but don't go
> waving it around in public, letting random
> strangers handle it, showing it off to kids,
> keeping it in unsafe places, etc.
===============================

And size, of course, could get us talking Freud ;-)

Date: May 17, 2021 12:42PM

A .22 short can get a female just as pregnant as a .50 caliber.

I have this printed on my business card . . .

Posted by: .40 Fiend ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 05:39PM

Date: May 17, 2021 05:52PM

They both have the same range, shooting straight down!

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: May 17, 2021 09:06PM

I'm not longer part of any religion, including the Morg, but my spouse and I are both avid gun collectors. Pistols, rifles, shotguns, even some duly registered silencers and a submachine-gun. (The latter two categories are legal, but expensive, taxed, and require a lot of regulatory hoops to jump through.)

I, obviously, believe the 2A is a fundamental right and maximum freedom to the individual is one of the few political beliefs I hold. And, naturally, enjoy the hobby and enjoy target shooting, either alone, or with my family. (I no longer hunt, due to time and shift in interest.)

That said, to be completely candid, I'm absolutely disgusted at the "gun culture" these days. I no longer hang out with gun people nor have any desire to. We've stopped formal competition attendance a while ago. I don't recall it being anything like this years ago when growing up or young adulthood, but maybe it was just a different time and place. But, man, what a toxic, hateful bunch many of them can be. Ugh.

Too each their own, of course.

Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: May 18, 2021 12:25AM

Last time I heard someone say “I’m pro-gun,” it was a Mormon with a 21 year old daughter and 3 kids.

Only if he was pro-education, his daughter’s occupation wouldn’t be breeder.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.