Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 12:49PM

Or is it the doctrine.
I've noticed over the years as we've had more move ins from Utah things have gotten weirder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 01:35PM

If they all moved to Mexico, they'd take their culture with them. My sister purposely lives in the Twin Falls area because there aren't as many mormons. She still runs into the culture if she goes to church. She isn't right now as she moved into a new ward and hates it. Her very mormon husband hasn't been since before COVID. Doesn't want to go.

My daughter likes living in Alaska because of the Utah culture. She definitely doesn't run into it up there. I'm sure she takes some of it with her!!!

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 12:19AM

One word: Shunning.

If the shunning/separation from “gentiles” ceased, normalcy would have a chance.

Posted by: Wowza ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 04:41AM

Can anyone give an example of "Utah Culture" and why its bad? Is there something unique to LDS people or is it conservative christians in general?

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 08:34AM

Fry sauce?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 10:57AM

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:52AM

I would say "Utah Culture" is more of symptom of an area dominated by religion. I currently live in Billy Graham country which is a little weird. The difference I see is the people still drink coffee, beer, etc and don't judge you accordingly. Also, nobody is outwardly trying to convert you. BTW, Billy Graham could communicate with God and his children inherited the same ability. Hmm, must be DNA

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 09:08PM

SUVs. T shirts under sun dresses. Covering up Cosmopolitan magazines in grocery stores. Karen/Rachel haircuts. Neighbors speechless when you tell them you are not a church member. Neighbors assuming you vote Republican. Green Jell-O. On a more serious note, people assuming you are anti-environmentalism, because we're in the Last Days. Essential oils as serious medicine. Racism and sexism with ecclesiastical justification. Rich = more spiritual. The state legislature taking its orders from their Priesthood leaders.

Just a few things.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 08:53AM

The whole point of a church is to tell the members that they are right. So whatever arises from their culture becomes a doctrinal imperative.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:07AM

Kind of a chicken or the egg question. Which came first, the culture or Mormonism?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 05:02PM

Or . . . is the problem with Utah the Mormon culture?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 05:08PM

When mormon lies are considered to be culture.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 11:09PM

Mormonism is the culture. Utah is the Petri dish.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 09:48AM

mormon culture. It all depends on the mormon, too, though. My boyfriend is OBVIOUSLY nonmormon. He just doesn't have that mormon look although his last name is Taylor!!!! The stake presidents there (though they are no longer in official status) are deferred to as being the wisest. Even the jack mormons bow down to them. They lie a lot.

My younger brother hasn't been to church since he was a teenager and works as a manager at a company and he even has mormons come to the company and ask for him rather than the mormon managers as they've told him "they lie."

I worked at Thiokol, which had A HUGE NUMBER of nonmormons from out of state. There was an OBVIOUS divide between the mormons and nonmormons. Some of the mormons were included with the nonmormons because they weren't assholes like most of the mormons I worked with were. I ended up being good friends with most of the nonmormons and the "good mormons" looked down on me. The division manager didn't think I could possibly be a good little mormon girl (I was 20) if I worked THERE! He was a patriarch. You couldn't have found a more devout little mormon girl if you had tried, but I was labeled.

I had many of the mormon men ask me why I wasn't married and pregnant--SERIOUSLY. Like it was my fault or something that I wasn't married yet, like I could just go out and ask someone or God would provide in some fashion (which I used to believe).

Mormon cultures screams out loud and clear in the workplace in Utah.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 11:20AM

My sister is a Republican TBM. She was raised in California (N & S) and has lived all across the country. She is on her 2nd marriage (1st one was TBM and severely abusive), and he is not Mormon, but doesn't smoke or drink ;). She is one of the most non-judgmental people I know.

Then, she moved to Utah to be near her daughter. She's been there, oh my, maybe 15 years. She's in central Utah. She hates it. She says she hates that the people treat their culture as doctrine, and that they don't know the difference. She hates how judgemental people are.

I asked her if she will go back to church when they have in person church, and she said probably not unless they take away the zoom option.

So, some of it is the Utah culture that has seeped into the doctrine. Even that bugs non-Utah TBM Mormons. But, the biggest problems with Mormonism are the doctrine and the history. Of course, ymmv.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.