Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 05:06PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZomfU3BXw

Wow! Just wow. Nothing original with Gordo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 08:33PM

I can't confirm this, but according to a reply dated 7 months ago:

"This version of MTM's was edited. An earlier cut shows some mormon practitioner saying with a straight face that when we die, we will be judged by god, jesus and joseph smith. It is kind of funny that someone removed that part, because it was almost too stupid for anyone to believe, even for a mormon and that's saying something."

In thinking about this, I kind of don't believe the claim.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:20PM

I don't know about the motion picture, but that notion of JS participating in the judgment is doctrinal. I can't point to the source but I definitely read that the head of each dispensation would be involved--and Joseph, as we know, presides over this dispensation.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 14, 2021 09:31PM

The doctrine I'm familiar with, but that it was originally in the film is hard to swallow.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 01:43AM

It's from (surprise!) Bro. Brigham in the JOD. It is absolutely orthodox mormon doctrine.

From the official church propaganda rag, giving praise to the man -

"…no man or woman in this dispensation will ever enter into the celestial kingdom of God without the consent of Joseph Smith. From the day that the Priesthood was taken from the earth to the winding-up scene of all things, every man and woman must have the certificate of Joseph Smith, junior, as a passport to their entrance into the mansion where God and Christ are — I with you and you with me. I cannot go there without his consent. He holds the keys of that kingdom for the last dispensation — the keys to rule in the spirit world; and he rules there triumphantly…" (Journal of Discourses, 7:289)

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1994/06/joseph-smith-among-the-prophets?lang=eng

(the article is nauseating and not recommended for reading by those with weak stomachs)

Date: May 15, 2021 03:14AM

Thank you for this, DO.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 05:48AM

Joseph presides over this dispensation.

That would explain so much.

Lois

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 04:47PM

Except JS, Jr., didn't know either and had to look it up...

He "called" himself.

Members today would be wise to do the same...

Start their own religions
Or finish this one

Date: May 15, 2021 06:06PM

I wouldn't need to meet a Mormon after Joseph Smith.

They say "If you can't beat 'em, join them".

I recommend the former because the latter is preposterous.

You can't meet a Mormon.

You can simply meet someone who Mormonism inhabits, and even inhibits.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 15, 2021 06:16PM

IMO, such a doctrine is socking and disgusting!

Has this really have been claimed--out loud--by some leaders of
the church?

Has it ever been said from a conference, or in public?

(I'm putting my finger--figuratively--in my mouth to make me gag.)

Date: May 15, 2021 09:25PM

Since, as Dallin points out above, the doctrine was published in Journal of Discourses, the answer would be yes. What that series of books is, is the transcripts of speeches delivered by BY and his apostles in conferences and other formal events. As BY himself said, anything he said was suitable to record as scripture.

And yes, the doctrine is shocking. JS as a judge of others. . .

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 10:23AM

Is it a coincidence that the acronym of Meet The Mormons is... MTM ?

I think we should be told ;-)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 10:53AM

I don't know what MTM means. I looked it up and there are 87 meanings of that acronym. Could you please explain. I must be too old, but I do try to keep up.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 11:13AM

I was thinking of Multi-Tier Marketing schemes (basically pyramid selling) which seem to be a mormon speciality... (but now I think of it, you say MLM in the Sates so my weak joke falls even flatter ;-). Never mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2021 11:15AM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 11:51AM

No worries. You are quite right. It really is an MTM/MLM scheme.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 12:58PM

I watched this because I was curious if it was the "Meet the Mormons" that I saw around the same time period. But I am pretty sure that what I saw was a filmstrip of the same name. It was not this movie.

Some things that stand out to me as a nevermo: This video is definitely "milk before meat." It was intended to make Mormonism palatable to your average Christian. I have to admire the clean-cut appeal of all of the people and families presented. Someone looking for a wholesome way to raise a family might definitely have been attracted.

There was some shade thrown at Catholicism (when the Christian church was supposedly in apostacy,) and approval of the Protestant movement. It made it seem as if the Mormon church was only really interested in recruiting Protestants, when that was not the case.

The word "authority" was used several times. It stood out to me. I think the Mormons were using in the sense that they were claiming divine authority, but it also came off as the church is aligned with authoritarianism (a message that I don't think they were intending for potential converts.)

Although the video presents Mormonism as a world-wide faith, it also showed the Q15 as being western white males.

I noticed that they included two college-aged students with moustaches who were attending a non-BYU institute. The message seemed to be, you can be a little different and still fit in, but not *too* different. The film also included two young black men at at time that they would not have been eligible for the priesthood.

Also, one of the missionaries shown serving in the Netherlands referred to the Mormon church as "a better way of life." Better than what? How could he possibly have had enough life experience to compare it to any other way of life?

As careful as the Mormon church was trying to be with this video, there were several examples of unintended offensive remarks.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: May 16, 2021 04:19PM

Pollythinks asked:
“ Has it ever been said from a conference, or in public?”

I was certainly taught it in church. Don’t recall where. If you look at lesson manuals for Sunday School/seminary/BYU religion classes it will certainly be in there.

I was in seminary mid-1980s, BYU early 1990s.

RG

Date: May 19, 2021 02:53AM

And It Strikes Them...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.