Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 04:23PM

Breaking news:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/lori-vallow-chad-daybell-murder

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2021 04:23PM by tumwater.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 04:52PM

Also for Tammy Daybell's murder, with insurance fraud and theft of social security survivor benefits thrown in for dessert.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2021/05/chad-and-lori-daybell-
indicted-for-murders-of-jj-vallow-tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell/

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: May 25, 2021 05:35PM

I understand the reasons for the delay but that said, it's about time :)

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 01:52AM

The DA had plenty on which to hold the two while they and LE got their ducks in order. There was no rush. They (prosecutors) were smart to take their time until evidence was there so that the charges will likely stick.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 11:33AM

One reason for delay: Grand Jury not allowed to convene duning Covid.

But no worries. Chad and Lori aren't going anywhere.

Date: May 25, 2021 06:52PM

Oh, my goodness, just when I thought my addiction was in remission.

I have absorbed every tiny little factoid about this case, until there was nothing left for me to absorb. I knew more than the broadcaster knew, plus I knew how to pronounce "Moroni" who was Lori's husband in a previous life. None of the YouTube broadcasters knew how to pronounce "Moroni" or what a temple sealing was, or the peculiar talents of a translated being, or even what a translated being was. I knew all that stuff. And still I watched.

Now new material will be released every day and I will read every little story while promising myself that I won't.

But I will. I will.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 12:04AM

loislane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Now new material will be released every day and I
> will read every little story while promising
> myself that I won't.
>
> But I will. I will.

We'll have to start a 12-Step Recovery program for you!

Go ahead, enjoy--just don't start planning your own murders.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 01:20AM

Well, see, there’s this guy that God told me to get some brass plates from.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 01:08AM

loislane I am right there with you. Hell, I even watched the psychic on youtube. It sounds like they found something substantive in the autopsy on Tammy. They would not have charged the insurance fraud unless they could prove that. I am wondering if we will find out some new info on how Alex died soon. I will be counting on you to make sure I don't miss anything. I would be interested about why you think the two bodies were treated so differently. I will sleep better knowing these two have been charged.

Date: May 26, 2021 06:16AM

I watched that psychic too. She was crazy. She was full of herself. She made one video where she kept bragging about how good she was and how she got everything right.

She did NOT get everything right.

The one thing she DID get right, before the bodies were even found was that Tylee's body was cut up and (according to her) eaten.

So since I do not believe she IS psychic, how did she know about Tylee's body being cut up?

I think the only way she could have known is that somebody told her.

So who told her, and how did THAT person know?????

This lady has a habit of calling the friends and family of the recently deceased, and pumping them for all they are worth.

So mebbe something like that happened. But she ain't no psychic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 06:29AM by loislane.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 12:15AM

This timing tells me that prosecutors & police were being very careful & professional rather than caving to popular opinions.

Date: May 26, 2021 12:37AM

Does this mean Lori Vallow is not a god? Or is she officially in the god club?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2021 12:42AM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 01:12AM

They killed a different god two millennia ago.

Date: May 26, 2021 01:09AM

Asking for a friend-
Has loislane obtained some insider / privileged info from Superman?

Date: May 26, 2021 06:26AM

I would have but I lost the seer stone we used to communicate with each other.

So binge watching binge watching and more binge watching was all I had to go on. Plus reddit.

There are three on-the-ball youtubers who are good at finding patterns in Lori and Chad's behavior. Tylee's aunt, is also good at piecing together info, plus she was there for much of Tylee's childhood. Lori used to dye Tylee's hair blonde when she was just a toddler. Plus Tylee was taken to a plethora of doctors, spent much of her childhood doped up and in bed (Lori often drugged both Tylee and JJ just so she wouldn't have to cope with them.)

But until she actually did it she showed no signs of wanting to kill them other then once voicing the thought that given the nature of coming events, we would all be better off dead.

There is also a youtuber named Jasmine Noor, who is fun to watch and is willing to wade through a LOT of documentation and she too is good at finding patterns.

This case has LOTS of documentation -- tons of court documents, police cams, recorded phone calls.

You could spend your life wading through it all, and thinking it couldn't get any crazier and then it does.

Please God, don't let me do that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 11:10AM

Some murder cases are just fascinating. The summer that OJ Simpson was investigated and prosecuted for the murder of his wife, both my mom and I were glued to the TV screen. It was riveting.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 03:15AM

They are using as their defense a thing that no judge can ever ascertain- that is, whether or not God told them to do it. So the judge is in a no-win situation, and that is right where they want him or her. They want to put the judge is on trial for his or her religious convictions. Once again, the double bind arises. The judge can never say that God did not talk to them.

Date: May 26, 2021 06:27AM

However "God told me to do it" is not a legal defense.

Date: May 26, 2021 08:29AM

It is in some parts of the country.

Date: May 26, 2021 09:44AM

Mebbe so.

In the Bible it says that if you have a disobedient son, you are to take him outside the city gates and stone him.

Seems kind of harsh when all the kid did was mouth off to his daddy.

Too bad they didn't have rehab back then.

Lois

Date: May 26, 2021 10:40AM

American jurisprudence is rife with tales of leniency toward people whose motivation was Biblical.

Date: May 26, 2021 03:19PM

Not as many, though, in which the perpetrators killed their own children, fraudulently collected welfare and social security payments, and fled to Kauai. Even the Laffertys were more sympathetic than these jerks.

Date: May 26, 2021 08:23PM

One case in the Bible of child sacrifice.

God, as we all know, commands Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. Abraham is ready to comply, but God intervenes at the last minute telling old Abe it was just a test, and it is that ram in the thicket that God REALLY wants.

God has a weird sense of humour.

But then there is the story of Japheth, who is about to go to war, and promises God that he will sacrifice whoever first exits his house after his return, if God will make sure Japheth's wins which he does,

The first person to exit the house is Japheth's daughter. She doesn't even have a name. She is just called "Japheth's daughter."

Japheth tells his daughter the promise he made to God. The daughter remains remarkably composed and asks for a month extension to get ready for the sacrifice so she can "mourn her virginity." Weird. I never mourned mine.

Anyway after a month, the daughter returns and she gets sacrificed. No ram in the thicket, no intervening angel. Japheth's daughter just get killed, and Japheth's is praised for keeping his promise to God.

The least he could have done was give her a name.

Strange story. Sacrificing virgins.

But what God asks for, God gets.

Date: May 26, 2021 10:13PM

A couple of weeks ago, a woman in Phoenix sacrificed her two kids with a meat cleaver because voices in her head told her to. There were amputations and a near decapitation. I guess God was a little slow stopping her.

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 06:46PM

Mountain Meadows Massacre
David Koresh
Heaven's Gate
Jim Jones
Lafferty Brothers
Ervil LeBaron
Chad Daybell & Lori Vallow

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 26, 2021 10:22PM

Susan Powell and two young boys Braden and Charlie

Date: May 26, 2021 10:45PM

Was there a religious motive there in the Susan Powell case? I don't remember. At the time I thought he was caught in a pickle because of his voyeur father.

And there was the other mormon guy who faked admittance medical school. Wife Lori Hacking was killed when she found out.

On the other hand, not a murder but there were religious implications in the Elizabeth Smart case.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 02:12PM

Somewhere I read along time ago he believed in families are forever. The family was TBMs.

Date: May 26, 2021 11:57PM

A crucial-critical issue in this matter is determining where (in which jurisdiction) and also when the crime(s) took place;

If a trial is convened, and the defense establishes that the crimes alleged ('charged') didn't take place within that jurisdiction (state, county, or court district), double jeopardy would attach & they would evade a conviction....

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 12:21AM

So if I post a video of me strangling a popular cheerleader on a street in El Paso, TX and El Paso tríes and convicts me of her murder, but then I prove I strangled her on a sound stage in Hollywood made up to look like a street in El Paso, I get off scot-free?

Date: May 27, 2021 01:09AM

my opinion is Yes, you would evade a conviction, on appeal if necessary.

the whole point is to hold an accused accountable in the proper court; it's also the right(s) of an accused to a trial by jury of his/her peers.

if this wasn't so, I, a resident of Washington State, might be indicted / tried in a Alabama court for a crime committed here even though I've never been to Alabama...

That's why police, prosecutors, and judges need to be professionally educated, trained, & experienced.

side note: The Washington Constitution provides that crimes committed on railroad trains are adjudicated in a separate, distinct court (not the county bc which county the crime was committed in may be difficult to determine).

Another example: When I travel from Sequim to see friends / relatives across puget sound, I travel through 3 counties, then a ferry ride, then a fourth, sometimes 5th county. I would certainly travel through several cities to get to my destination.

Some Washington counties have multiple court districts; If I was pulled over for speeding (by the State Patrol or other officer), the officer must know & state on the citation which county & court district I must pay the penalty to or contest the citation.

Seattle has 1 municipal court for misdemeanor crimes & traffic infractions (those aren't 'crimes' in Washington state), but most suburban cities have their own.

I note that in this (above) case, it's the Fremont Prosecutor who was named as filing the charges, but perhaps they have an agreement with Madison county (Rexburg) regarding court districts, police authority, & jails...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 01:26AM by GNPE.

Date: May 27, 2021 02:48AM

"If the original court lacked jurisdiction, jeopardy never attached. The remedy would be to try the person again in the proper jurisdiction."

--I.N. Quest, author of first year law books for actuaries, funeral home operators, and other ne'er-do-wells

Date: May 27, 2021 11:47AM

Yes. That's the first issue here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2021 02:09PM by GNPE.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 01:34AM

Tragedy

Date: May 27, 2021 02:24AM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tragedy

I agree; the only thing worse Now is for the guilty to go unpunished.

Date: May 27, 2021 02:17PM

There's ALWAYS something worse!

So at least humanity has 'that' going for it!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 02:51PM

Has she been found incompetent to stand for trial?

Date: May 27, 2021 02:57PM

No, just 'indigent'. Meaning now the taxpayers are footing the bill for her defense. And ghawd does not get 10% of that, even in Idaho.

Date: May 27, 2021 02:59PM

It would be hard for her to claim incompetence. Every state's standards are different, but generally you only need to understand the charges against you and be able to contribute to your own defense. That she concealed her crimes, was together enough to collect the insurance/ss money, and knew to flee to Hawaii all indicate she is legally competent.

Date: May 29, 2021 10:44AM

She was ruled incompetent.

Date: May 29, 2021 01:23PM

Yes. The question is what that means in the context of Idaho state law.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2378236,2378402#msg-2378402

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 27, 2021 11:04PM

Are they church members?? If so, has the church excommunicated them yet?

With Bishop roulette, the official position of the church could range anywhere from telling everyone "you should just forgive them" and not saying what the church did (probably nothing), to announcing their excommunication. The actual policy on murder is in the church handbook. But the mormon church often doesn't go by their own written policies. There is actually one sin in the mormon church that is worse than murder. And no, I am not talking about denying the holy ghost. The worst sin in the mormon church is to reap public embarrassment down upon the Mormon church. Based on that, excommunication for them won't be far behind their conviction and accompanying media attention that comes with the conviction.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.