Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Reaper ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 03:35PM

Are Mormons allowed to be cremated ? What are the teachings and have they changed over time ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 04:13PM

Last time I read the church handbook cremation was allowed but discouraged.

In typical church fashion the body is supposed to be dressed in temple clothing when cremated.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 05:39PM

It’s certainly a fitting end to temple clothes. Plus it’s like roasting a marshmallow.

Burial is preferred due to the resurrection, when you’ll bust out of your grave with a restored body. Not everyone is convinced of that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2021 05:42PM by babyloncansuckit.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 05:53PM

Probably 50 years ago I read the same question in The Ensign(?), and the answer said that some sister missionaries were burned to death in a house fire, so it's probably OK.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 08:13PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably 50 years ago I read the same question in
> The Ensign(?), and the answer said that some
> sister missionaries were burned to death in a
> house fire, so it's probably OK.
===============================

Don't know why this made me laugh -- but it did

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 05:53PM

Cremation isn't forbidden, it's just discouraged to the point it might as well be. Same goes for burial at sea and (I imagine) sky burials.

Mormons are supposed to be buried in the ground due to "resurrection" at the end of the world. They never answer how resurrecting a cremated body is harder than resurrecting a body that has completely rotted away.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 06:47PM

Dubbed "promession", the process takes place in a custom-built machine – just slot your dead relative's corpse into the device, and watch as it removes their coffin, freeze-dries the water out of them, and shakes whatever's left into dust.

--------------------------

Immersed in liquid Nitrogen, frozen, Shaken..., not stirred - and then you can dump the remains in a small hole if you want. Many countries are running out of burial space. This will allow many generations in one grave site.

Hope we get it in the US soon.

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: May 30, 2021 05:18AM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
> Dubbed "promession", the process takes place in a
> custom-built machine – just slot your dead
> relative's corpse into the device, and watch as it
> removes their coffin, freeze-dries the water out
> of them, and shakes whatever's left into dust.
>
> --------------------------
>
> Immersed in liquid Nitrogen, frozen, Shaken...,
> not stirred - and then you can dump the remains in
> a small hole if you want. Many countries are
> running out of burial space. This will allow many
> generations in one grave site.
>
> Hope we get it in the US soon.

I hadn't heard of this so Googled then checked out the You Tube vid...the ad before the vid played was for Kentucky Fried Chicken !!!

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 07:21PM

Or buried at sea. Some mormons died of disease etc. en route and had to go overboard.

Or eaten by animals. Even the church has stories of pioneer children dying on the plains, buried in shallow frozen graves, only to have wolves dig up the bodies for dinner.

In view of all that, the insistence on burial as a precursor to resurrection is that much more ridiculous. And all they can say is "god will work it out." Stupid mormons.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: May 29, 2021 11:58PM

The Reaper Wrote:
> Are Mormons allowed to be cremated?

Only Ice Creamated

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 31, 2021 12:13AM

Discouraged. Dad had me promise not to be cremated...but...my wife wanted cremation and I will too..as will our daughter.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 31, 2021 06:23AM

I always understood that the Mormon position on cremation is that you shouldn't be cremated. You should be buried. The reason is almost comical. It's much more difficult to resurrect a cremated body than one that was buried. I think that some people fear that they might not be resurrected at all if they were cremated. So being buried is safer. Talking about hanging on to life until the last possible minute. Some people take things to extremes.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 31, 2021 11:55AM

This is all ok if you have "sure and certain HOPE" of a ressurection
As for me?
When you are here you are here!
When you are gone you are gone!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2021 02:04PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 11:20PM

Where does God go to get the blood and guts that were sucked out so they can fill the corpse with formaldehyde and methanol. I grew up with the mythology that the physical body is resurrected and put back together blood and all and the church was dead set against cremation. God would fix it for people in countries that required cremation. But if you chose it, you were S.O.L.

Now the idea of my dead corpse being embalmed and being put in a box and put in the cold dark ground gives me the willies. I cringe at funerals where there is a body on display.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2021 02:11AM by NormaRae.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 01:10AM

Take it one step further.

Companies will now turn your ashes into a diamond.

So on resurrection day Grandpa pops out of granddaughters engagement ring?

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: June 10, 2021 01:07PM

That glitter is grandpa baby.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 04:09PM

Turning your ashes into a diamond strikes me as a total scam. Diamonds are essentially pure carbon. Your ashes are what’s left after all the carbon and hydrogen have been burned off, and all the water evaporated. So how, pray tell, can carbon-free ashes be turned into a diamond?

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 03:58PM

This reminds me of a southern comedian named James Gregory. He has a bit about Baptists and cremation. He talks about how true Baptists dont cremate. If they cremate, then they married outside their faith.
"You give us something to embalm and some tater salad, and we can have a funeral."

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 03:59PM

Mormons do funeral potatoes.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 04:16PM

Dad wanted to be cremated and have his ashes placed in a teddy bear to sleep next to my mother at night and go with her in her casket. Mom absolutely refused. She hated the idea completely. She couldn't handle the thought of being buried herself, nor of my Dad being cremated.

Ultimately, the compromise that was made was for them both to be "buried" in an aboveground crypt. I tried to follow everything Mom wanted, and Dad only wanted what Mom wanted. But now he's in the top-level of a crypt, and she doesn't have him nearby at all. She can't go visit him, because getting to the cemetery is too hard in her condition, and when she's there, she can't reach his crypt because it's too high up.

I would so much rather we had cremated him, so she could have his remains by her side, even if in a slightly heavy soft teddy bear.

Tyson, still grieving

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.