Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 04:52PM

Something I've read about on an off over the years is about the various off-shoot religions from the, you know, one true church (giggle). Some are historically interesting, others outright nuts. Many died out, while some linger on in various forms. A decent illustration of the branches can be seen here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/LDS_Denominations.png

Anyone else make a study of the various denominations? Which did you find the most interesting and why? Which were the most unintentionally hilarious or destructive?

Cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 04:55PM

Alright ! Which one of you is responsible for this humorous chart ! Fess up !

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 06:12PM

Posted by: anon right now ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 07:53PM

I have had a small number of interactions with the Community of Christ.

While I give them credit for their emphasis on social justice and their clever downplaying of Ol' Joe and the Book of Mormon, their baptisms, long-time-family networks (which bring up old texts/books and some of the older beliefs) and the clear membership shrinkage tells me that while they may outlast TCOJCOLDS, they won't survive much longer.

And their congregants' knowledge of when to kneel (preparing elements for communion) with no clue given to visitors, well, that just spells cult.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 08:39PM

When I lived in the northern Great Plains, LDS splinter groups made the news now and then. They were concentrated around Iowa. ND senator Milton R Young was RLDS (now named Community of Christ). My department had a faculty member from Lamoni, Iowa, who did his undergrad at Graceland university in Lamoni, affiliated with CofC.

I met a geography professor, who, though neverMo, gathered info about LDS offshoots as a hobby. He had just over a hundred at the time (1980s). Quite a few were extremely small, a few families, some were just a single family.

Amazing how many people can convince themselves that they are the only group/person that’s really on a first name basis with the Grand Poobah of the Universe.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 11:10PM

There is a ranch not far from where I live that, if I understand correctly, has it's own religion consisting of a small group of families. They practice a communal lifestyle like the law of consecration. I'm not certain that they splintered from Mormonism but given that there are also quite a few Mormons associated with the ranch, I suspect so.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 09:14PM

I know nothing of any of them except for the FLDS but the one I thought has the most humorous name is CJC of The Saints of The Most High :)

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 06, 2021 09:29PM

"imagine being at a Bitcoin event, just thinking to yourself "how could this get any worse""

Posted by: hgc ( )
Date: June 07, 2021 01:49AM

While serving as a missionary in Michigan's upper peninsula I learned about the Strangites, followers of James J Strang. They settled on Beaver Island in Lake Michigan. Strang claimed to be the successor to Joseph Smith. I think a few of them are still around.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: June 07, 2021 09:04AM

It has been thirty years... There were two wards or congregations of Strangites in Wisconsin, one near Madison. I am not sure they are still around.

Posted by: Northern_lights ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 03:51PM

The interwebs tells me they only have one left in an exurb of Milwaukee

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 07, 2021 01:59AM

I've been intrigued by the Church of Christ (Temple Lot)--aka Hedrickites--since I learned of its existence in BYU religion class. They own the property on which the New Jerusalem temple is supposed to be built in the Last Days. So, basically, this tiny group is holding up the Second Coming until Salt Lake is able to acquire the land. (Can you imagine how pissed Jesus must be about this?) What do you think they'd settle for, and have they heard about the 100 gigabuck stash the Brethren has socked away?

That's power. That's cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Christ_(Temple_Lot)#Temple_Lot

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 07, 2021 02:07AM

I'd say the most hilarious offshoot of Joseph Smith's religion is the modern LDS church.

Graphically, the chart gives the wrong impression by drawing a straight line connecting JS and modern Mormonism. In reality, the path of that evolution is about as convoluted as one could imagine. Several of the other religions, including fundamentalism, are more faithful to what Smith created.

Sometimes if you grow too familiar with a joke, you cease to realize how funny it is.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 07, 2021 11:23AM

WWJST: What Would Joseph Smith Think if it were possible for him to sit in the back of the Conference Center during General Conference?

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 03:17PM

"Too much talking, not enough bedding." - Joseph Smith, probably

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 07, 2021 11:27AM

Whatever the number of offshoots it tends to destroy the Mormon argument that the variety of Christian denominations is evidence of their apostasy.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: June 08, 2021 01:08PM

in b 4 ~

RfM is a pretty interesting and / or hilarious LD$ off-shot ~

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 03:16AM

I think they mean AFTER ole' Joe himself - who was always making haste and waste, and goin'round rebel rousing, committin' not-so-good crimes and trouble - got off to jale and get shot and off shoot.

An OFFSHOOT of a false narrative is (more craziness) NO CRAZIER than the initial BS.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 08, 2021 01:37PM

I'm very interested in the Book of Arnold. Are there any branches in either Uganda or Orlando?

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 08:59AM

I was really into researching all the different offshoots years ago and investigated quite a few of them, starting w/the obvious LDS, RLDS (before it was CoC) and Temple Lot during a visit to Independence. Also checked out the Restoration Branches on the same block (a conservative offshoot of the RLDS when it became the CoC and largely de-Mormonized its teachings.) Found none particularly compelling. Attended a Temple Lot church in Arizona a few times and it felt like standard fundamentalist Christianity, a lot of emotional outbursts and fiery preaching.

I once owned a Bickertonite (Monongahela PA) version of the BoM but never contacted them in person. Tried checking out the FLDS in Colorado City but found them too paranoid to want to talk much. Once drove to Big Water to try to find some remnant of Alex Joseph's group w/no luck. I've read some of Sons Ahman Israel's writings, they tend toward a gnostic sort of interpretation of the scriptures iirc which sounds like it could be interesting.

I spent some time with the TLC church (Jim Harmston's group) in Manti in the '90s and learned a lot about them and their teachings but then they just dropped out of sight.

Posted by: Do Stonehenge! ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 10:01AM

Their website is much improved from ten years ago and their name may have changed their name, but Matthew Gill is probably my favorite.

Hailing from the English Midlands, where they have one of the funniest British accents, Gill parodies Joseph Smith big time. He said that one day after praying in his room, his parents' front doorbell rang, and when he went out and there was no one there. He noticed a box on his porch which contained sacred writings, which he translated into English which makes Smith look like Shakespeare. (The current account he uses is less funny, but this is the gist of the old version.)

The records tell about Jeraneck, Araneck (a lot of people called something -neck) who built Stonehenge after fleeing the Tower of Babel. You know Stonehenge where the Demons dwell and the Banshees live and they do live well. (Sorry Spinal Tap)

https://www.restoredbranch.com/

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 10:56AM

For high weirdness and high drama you can't beat Chris Nemelka.

You know, the one who translated "The Sealed Portion."

Also, does anyone remember the Levites?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 06:50PM

My favorite is the Strangite church (of very few members) who use the lack of a hyphen to get away with using the full name of the LDS church: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." That must really frustrate Kirton McConkie.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 01:56AM

As for destructive, all the polygamous groups.
Lebaron
Kingston
Blackmore
Allred..Just to name a few.

Inbreeding, mental illness, violence, slavery, even murderous.

No polygamous group is benevolent.

Posted by: Northern_lights ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 03:49PM

I remember speaking online to somebody who was a member of a group that was based in Jackson County, MO. Thing is there were a Utah branch offshoot not a RLDS offshoot. He always called where he lived "Zion" and admitted that his group did practice polygamy after I pressed him about it. I think there was some sort of law of consecration as well. I don't know if they are still around or what their name was.

The TLC in Manti I knew some too, I heard they pretty much disintegrated once Jim Harstrom died.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 09:20PM

A few years back, when my niece started attending YBU, she'd get on FaceBook 2 or 3 times a week and vomit out whatever faith building crap she was being exposed to. This would be rewarded with dozens of likes and lots of "your so smart"s from the support group back home.

Fast forward a bit and she makes a post about having visited an RLDS church service and how much she liked it. Crickets on that post. Not a single like. Well, until I liked it. ;)

So, I'll throw another "vote" in for the RLDS (now CofC).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.