Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 10:06AM

I don't understand this whole dismantling of temple square to become gardens or whatever. It almost feels like TSCC has so much money laying around that they are just dreaming up stuff to spend it on.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50184199/temple-squares-north-visitors-center-will-soon-be-demolished-replaced-by-garden

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 10:36AM

Whoa. Hold on a minute Russ. I know it's rather embarrassing that the visitor's center was Deadsville and the few who did go went for the same reason you go to Ripley's Believe It or Not museum, but this the Christus was what your agenda, your platform, was all about. Mormons trampling right over Brigham and Joseph to get to Jesus.

Please don't tell me your holy pen said to name the garden Gethsemane.

And please tell me the statue with the seagulls will still be there. Please. I need that much.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 10:49AM

Wasn't Babylon famous for its gardens?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 07:15PM

Kind of like the one on the roof of the conference center?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 07:18PM

Exactly! That's what I first thought when I saw that building: the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 08:42PM

Wow! I kinda figured you were old...

Date: June 11, 2021 08:53PM

You're still salty about the golf joke, aren't you.

Posted by: kathleen ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 10:54AM

Gemini is right. They gotta spend cash on sumpin.

Investigative reporting may show vast overpayment to a GA’s in-law’s demo outfit. I doubt there was any bidding for the job.

Date: June 11, 2021 11:08AM

Nepotism? I beg your pardon. The GA's would never ever do that. Really. I swear on a stack of BoAs. And a whole pile of BoMs.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 11:22AM

What are they going to tear down next, the tabernacle?

My mother took us to SLC a lot on Sundays as that is when my parents would argue over my dad's lack of attendance at church. My aunt had moved out of state and so she'd take us to temple square. My daughter, once she went back to church, asked me if I had ever seen the Christus statue and I was like, "oh so many times!" I hated temple square.

So no new conference center? I'm sure they could think of something to BUILD.

Date: June 11, 2021 11:36AM

They must no tear down the Tabernacle. Mormon edifice or not. Just name it the Jehovah Tent and leave it alone.

When I last saw the tabernacle=== brought back all the tours we had taken, all the meetings we had attended inside of it as a family—gigantic organ piping out hymns and equally gigantic choir singing them. My father always told us about the roof construction every single time, as if he had built the dome himself: The roof was nine feet thick, and a famous bridge maker had constructed it using what they called a “Remington lattice truss” system of timbers pinned together with wooden pegs. Dad would pause every time and say, “Not a nail in the whole building; can you believe it?” The wooden pegs and timbers were wrapped with green raw-hide that would shrink as it dried and tighten everything. Then dad would say, “Everyone thought it would collapse when they took down the scaffolding, but here we are today, a hundred years later. They should have never doubted the Lord’s prophet.” Mom would always add that the plaster on the inside had cattle hair mixed in for strength, as if that had to be another miracle inspired by God. And then we would all go off for lunch at Harmon’s Kentucky Fried Chicken. That was the good part of the day.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 01:26PM

Is that where the guy busted the hand off the jesus statue ?

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 03:26PM

Yes, the guy broke all Jesus's digits off with a hammer. The holy ghost nicknamed him "stubby" after that.

That was like the ground breaking ceremony for the demolition that is just now getting started.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 03:04PM

Out with the old rides, in with the new rides at Temple Square amusement park. Admission is free except for the 10% someone is paying somewhere. The main attraction ride is reserved for hose who definitely pay the 10% of income admission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2021 03:05PM by cheezus.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 04:56PM

Hopefully there will somewhere with air conditioning for the cute and perky young sister missionaries to hang out while waiting for those golden contacts.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 07:17PM

Had a friend that was new to Utah that was soooooo happy some girls he met at temple square asked for his phone number.

He was so looking forward to dinner with this cute swiss gal.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 01:04AM

Ha! Ha! I used to live in the Avenues and have been to Temple Square more times than I care to remember. They always had cute female missionaries from different parts of the world to charm the heck out of the visiting tourists.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 08:13PM

God tried to take this building down a few years ago and failed miserably.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/archives/1999-08-14/rare-tornado-hits-salt-lake-city-122560

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 11, 2021 09:16PM

I miss the museum that used to be on the south side of the square. It featured mummies and and other stuff the church claimed supported their story.

Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 01:39AM

Obviously there was 2 of them, no point in having more than one visitor's center in one location and free up the extra space for more open space instead

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 12:12AM

So there will no longer be ANY visitor centers?

Date: June 13, 2021 12:43AM

They're just trying to cut back supply to a level closer to demand.

Posted by: reinventinggrace ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 12:50AM

Whoa! Space Jesus is already gone! I’m surprised I didn’t hear about this. He must have had some sort of a following, right???

RG

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 12:59AM

I think the church has made a lot of money in the equities markets and has cashed out fearing losing their gains in a stock market crash.

I think they do have a lot of cash burning a hole in their pocket. Temple Square is a huge tourist trap. Green is good public relations and the visitor’s center looks like an old relic from the 1960’s.

Russ seems to like green and so people can enjoy the trees and gardens while cute young girl missionaries from various parts of the world work the people who are there.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 02:07AM

I don't have any warm or fuzzy memories of temple square so I don't care what the church does. Remember that it's Rusty playground and he is doing as he pleases. He's not sentimental about Mormon traditions so he's dumping them as fast as he can.

Keep in mind that with less buildings/statues/monuments/plaques to look at, people will focus on the temple or the tabernacle (maybe there's another building~ I am too lazy to look it up on google).

I think cl2 is right about the tabernacle. I don't think the church will tear it down overnight, but I think they will announce that engineers are studying it because it's no longer safe. I think they will close it off, then announce that it's not feasible to save it. Rusty can announce it during GC and say it's revelation that something else needs to be built, it's part of his restoration. Let's face it, the tabernacle is an interesting building but it doesn't generate convert baptisms and costs the church money to maintain.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.