Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 06:39PM

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/12/american-idol-david-archuleta-comes-out-lgbtq-pride-month/

He even hits a fair number of the letters in the non-cis alphabet soup.

This is not much of a surprise. I didn't read the article closely, but from what I saw, it seems surprisingly pro-LDS. Good luck to him. He's going to need it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 06:43PM

Huh!

I wonder why he chose 'otherness' over being "normal"? Didn't his bishop tell him that his choice is ... outside the church norm?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 08:49PM

Good for him---got-to-be a hard thing to do, especially when one is so well known.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 08:59PM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 01:46AM

He already has a very devoted fan base. I doubt that they're going anywhere.

Date: June 13, 2021 01:45AM

Oh, wow. I'm not surprised at all by David's announcement, but I think combining his leanings and preferences with his strong Mormon faith is going to be a tough thing to negotiate.

Posted by: Linton Topps ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 03:48AM

You can't be both asexual and bisexual at the same time. Bisexual implies you've been interested in at least one male an one female, and are still interested in males and females. Asexual implies you're interested in no one.

Posted by: Toots McGuire ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 05:47AM

Not true,to understand this you have to get past the idea that sexual orientation has anything to do with sex.Being attracted to a gender doesn't mean an individual necessarily has any sexual desire.

Posted by: Linton Topps ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 06:04AM

Toots McGuire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not true,to understand this you have to get past
> the idea that sexual orientation has anything to
> do with sex.Being attracted to a gender doesn't
> mean an individual necessarily has any sexual
> desire.

If you feel friendly towards someone, that is not an orientation. If you have Romantic feelings towards someone that *is* a sexual orientation. If you think about them a bit too much or like the way they look a lot then ditto.

Demisexual might have worked better here. It means someone who has a low wattage but still has attraction when they get to know someone enough.

But the idea of adding asexuality to this string of letters is totally illogical. It has almost nothing to do with the others. In fact in many countries, asexuality was encouraged via religious celibacy or no sex before marriage. Unlike the lther letters.

Posted by: Toots McGuire ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 02:52PM

You can have romantic feelings and still have no interest in a sexual relationship.
You can be married and have no interest in a sexual relationship.
R
Marriages involve a lot more than having sex. There are many people in beautiful monogamous relationships who have no interest in sex and never have.
Our community will add as many letters to the string as we want, human sexuality is complicated and isn't black and white.
This is my communities fight for inclusiveness, love and acceptance.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 04:24PM

Toots McGuire Wrote:
> Our community will add as many letters to the
> string as we want, human sexuality is complicated
> and isn't black and white.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 09:36AM

Maybe he's using "asexual" like "celibate," to say to his priesthood leaders, "But I'm not actually having sex with anyone, so don't excommunicate me."

Date: June 13, 2021 10:42AM

Or he could just be saying that he doesn't have much of a sex drive. I think David gets to define David, but I hope that he can do so in a manner in which the church doesn't have anything to say about it.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 11:17AM

Agreed.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 11:27AM

I am curious about David being invited to sing with the Temple Square Visitor-Centerless Future Gardens Choir come this Christmas...

Or will church leadership hitch up their garment-bottoms and stand by their prejudices?

Posted by: auntsukey ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 12:52PM

You'll get there.

Posted by: Kid ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 05:39AM

Stop with the f***ing letters already!

Posted by: Remeece ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 07:31AM

Kid Wrote:
> Stop with the f***ing letters already!

You should hear Andrew Doyle (who is openly gay) talking about this. He says that most of the people under these umbrellas have nothing to do with each other. The only thing gay men and gay women have in common is not being heterosexual.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 04:00PM

As a gay man, I agree that my sexuality and my gender expression are different from the other groups represented in the umbrella.

But the existence of the multiple letters of the alphabet isn't the problem. The problem is people treating other people so horribly.

If I don't understand on a personal level what's it's like to be asexual, queer, or whatever else, it really doesn't matter, and it doesn't lessen the humanity nor the value of these people and who they are.

That Mr. Doyle is willing to mock others speaks volumes about him.

Tyson

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 04:26PM

That is true. Different groups have different characteristics and interests.

The one thing they do share, however, is a history of being treated as subhuman. That's a pretty substantial commonality; in fact, it may be the most important social and political trait affecting their relations with their broader communities over the course of their lives. Is that enough for themselves to group themselves together?

I think it is. If and when they are accepted as perfectly normal members of society, they will be free to go their separate ways. But complaining about their cooperating now is a bit like saying it was ridiculous of Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Secular, Sephardic and Ashkenazi Jews to see themselves as brothers and sisters during and after World War II.

The day these various groups of people feel free to be who they individually are, they will.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 04:18PM

No surprise at all. Even while on AI, my wife and I thought he was much alike Ricky Martin.

The part that confuses me is his statement about being gay and that one can do that and believe in God etc...

This to me is a paradox. I get that people have this need to survive both now and after death. The thought of life ending after death isn't sexy for some. But when faced with the truth, do you chant "I still believe in fairies" or do you just call it for what it is, truth.

Why can't folks admit what they have no control over? Just accept it, no? Am I wrong?

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: June 21, 2021 08:20PM

Well, whatever planet he orbits, or whatever the saying is, I never did like his singing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.