Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ergot ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 03:36AM

I used to be confused as to why fringe mormon groups treated women so badly. I thought it was a side effect of the polygamy itself. I looked into https://www.yearofpolygamy.com/archive/listen-to-the-episodes-in-order/

and I was blown away.Specifically by episode 98. "how polygamy affects the modern lds church". The FLDS and the LDS both make sense now.

The FLDS, basically treat their women as fungible. The children can be taken from the wives and given to another family if she is deemed unworthy somehow. If the men are deemed unworthy, he loses his wives and all his kids to some other man. The reason is, the family doesn't really matter. The man is working on his own glorification, his wives are a means of production.

The wives are there to populate his worlds in the afterlife, which he will then rule over as a God.

In the LDS church, they seem to only have publicly turned away from polygamy. A man still can marry multiple women in the temple, provided he is only married to one legally at a time. He could technically Marry in the temple, then legally divorce, then marry in the temple again. Boom, two temple marriages and two eternal companions. A woman is only part of his haram, so she can't temple marry again, except she first temple-divorce her first husband.

We don't speak of heavenly mother, because she doesn't matter. She is only there to make babies for her husband. he rules, he is God.

further according to polygamists, it seems that the number of wives you have affect your ranking in the CK. with Joseph's 30+ wives putting him nicely at the top of the rankings. Men with only single marriages would be way at the bottom.

the thing is, none of this seem to contradict the behavior I've seen from the major fundamental groups or the main LDS church.

It struck me hard as it all makes too much sense.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 13, 2021 10:47AM

Women are mainly viewed as breeding vessels to the major religions of the world.

The winner biologically spreads genes the best. It's not hard to figure out how the idea of populating infinite worlds with multiple women resonated to biological instincts of the men who created the versions of the religion's afterlife.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 01:29PM

Read "Plural Bride to Be" if you want to read about real life experiences in polygamy among believing mormons.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.