Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 09:37AM

Yes, we've heard this before here, but a new article in the NYTimes highlights new research.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/14/well/eat/coffee-health-benefits.html

From the article:

>All of us should be happy to know that whatever it took to secure that favorite cup of Joe may actually have helped to keep us healthy. The latest assessments of the health effects of coffee and caffeine, its main active ingredient, are reassuring indeed. Their consumption has been linked to a reduced risk of all kinds of ailments, including Parkinson’s disease, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, gallstones, depression, suicide, cirrhosis, liver cancer, melanoma and prostate cancer.

>In fact, in numerous studies conducted throughout the world, consuming four or five eight-ounce cups of coffee (or about 400 milligrams of caffeine) a day has been associated with reduced death rates. In a study of more than 200,000 participants followed for up to 30 years, those who drank three to five cups of coffee a day, with or without caffeine, were 15 percent less likely to die early from all causes than were people who shunned coffee. Perhaps most dramatic was a 50 percent reduction in the risk of suicide among both men and women who were moderate coffee drinkers, perhaps by boosting production of brain chemicals that have antidepressant effects.

>As a report published last summer by a research team at the Harvard School of Public Health concluded, although current evidence may not warrant recommending coffee or caffeine to prevent disease, for most people drinking coffee in moderation “can be part of a healthy lifestyle.”

>It wasn’t always thus. I’ve lived through decades of sporadic warnings that coffee could be a health hazard. Over the years, coffee’s been deemed a cause of conditions such as heart disease, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, pancreatic cancer, anxiety disorder, nutrient deficiencies, gastric reflux disease, migraine, insomnia, and premature death. As recently as 1991, the World Health Organization listed coffee as a possible carcinogen. In some of the now-discredited studies, smoking, not coffee drinking (the two often went hand-in-hand) was responsible for the purported hazard.
---------------

There are links in the online article to the reports mentioned above,

The article did bring up two problems with coffee drinking. Caffeine does transport across the placenta in pregnancy, and correlates with earlier delivery and lower birthweight.

Caffeine is also associated with sleep disturbances, which may be worse for older people. Restricting intake to earlier in the day helps.

But other than that, coffee comes out looking pretty good.

Third problem: if you load your coffee up with sugars and creams, it is essentially liquid junk food.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2021 09:40AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 09:48AM

And yet, when I nagged my dad to get a temple recommend in 1970 so he could see me get married, he was most worried the bishop would deny it because he went down to the local cafe every morning for a cup of coffee.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 12:43PM

People don't seem to know that, while God will allow children to be abused and murdered, He really can't handle it when when people drink coffee.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 10:44AM

It also provides a good workout for your urethral sphincters, which I appreciate, as I don't drink beer. I'll attest to watching intact in your golden (pun intended) years. I cut back on caffeine as the day progresses, going to green tea and then nothing after about four.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 14, 2021 05:54PM

The biggest boost I get is to my mental and emotional health. Coffee centers me. Very comforting. Always there for you.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 05:59PM

The dire warnings of coffee's supposed risks seldom hold up to research. The science finds that coffee has little or no risk. And possibly even some protective effect (though it's unlikely to add years to your life etc.)

It's striking that Mormon doctrine was so right about tobacco and so wrong about caffeine. Almost as if you throw around enough claims, you'll be right some of the time, but of course not because you had any real knowledge.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 06:11PM

Science vindicates probably 20% of the WoW. Popular thinking in 1830 explains 100% of the WoW.

What can we infer from that?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 06:22PM

It was a mistake to allow women to vote?

Date: June 15, 2021 07:01PM

You just unmasked yourself, Mr. Thiel.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 08:47AM

It’s not too hard to get people to sign a petition for ending women’s suffrage:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ceXT8zJE7ys

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 10:25AM

What can we infer from that?

As Thomas Murphy put it:

"From a scientific perspective the Book of Mormon's origin is best situated in early nineteenth century America"

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: June 17, 2021 01:11AM

Coffee may have health benefits, but I would ask a few questions about the study.

First, does coffee provide direct health benefits, or does drinking it simply displace less healthy alternatives, i.e. drinking coffee is better than reaching for donuts or ice cream and becoming obese, which obesity increases risk of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, etc.

Personally, I chew on grass stems out in the field when I have certain cravings. I wonder if a study would show them to have similar health benefits.

As for reducing suicide, does coffee make you happier, or do already happy people drink coffee? Miserable people are probably getting drunk instead.

But most important, coffee takes a lot of energy to grow, transport and prepare. Think of the energy to make coffee makers and the electricity to run them. You have to burn more fossil fuel to build bigger kitchens to keep a coffee machine. Then millions of gallons of gas are burned going to the coffee shops. I see a lines up to a dozen cars at one local drive-thru coffee stand.

This all leads to global warming and ultimately destruction of the planet.

Sorry to destroy the thread.

Posted by: katholeen ( )
Date: June 17, 2021 11:58AM

Cold brew is the answer.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: June 17, 2021 12:46PM

LOL!

Date: June 17, 2021 11:29AM

Coffee is good for your mental health because it’s an excellent Mormon repellent.

Date: June 17, 2021 12:47PM

I'm quitting all caffeine slowly. Better sleep is well, better. I also eat meat sparingly. Now if I could just quit the sugar...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 10:41AM

My grandmother was a heavy tea drinker. She had heart problems from her 40s on and was diabetic. She got married in the temple but they never went back because she could not get a recommend because of her tea drinking. Everyone thought my grandfather would outlive her but it was the other way around. She thought it was funny that she outlived the doctor who told her she'd be dead in five years, 25 years before she died.

I used to love the way her kitchen smelled, I loved the smell of brewing tea, which may be why I'm a tea-aholic now. But now they know the antioxidant properties of tea are a boon for people with heart ailments. I suspect her tea habit gave her an extra 10 years of life. Finally, a few years before she died she was living near my parents and they had a bishop who had his head on straight and said that she should be able to go to the temple if she wanted and the tea should not keep her out, so she was able to go one last time in her late 70s.

I drink too much caffeine--both iced tea and hot tea and a cup-o-joe occasionally, and I know if I'm not careful it interferes with my sleep, so I try to only drink decaf after 5:00, but don't always adhere to that. But my iced tea makes me a sinner, I guess, whereas people who get their caffeine through soda, the carbonation and sodium being much worse for you than tea, are the righteous ones who obey the "health code." Yea, right.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 01:58PM

Well then, I'm a 3-ringer: coffee, tea and Cokes.
I am addicted to those mocha frappachinos.

Date: June 18, 2021 06:34PM

And it is an addiction.

Whatever its benefits, it is an addiction. A more benign one than many and possible a major contributor to our modern world.

The chemicals plants make to influence the creatures that consume them can be very invasive.

Date: June 18, 2021 08:28PM

I'm curious...

I don't seem to be addicted to caffeine.

For at least 40 years I started my day drinking Diet Coke with breakfast, usually at McDonalds.

At the start of the pandemic McDonalds closed their inside dining and it just wasn't the same, eating in the car, with no free refill!!

So I switched to making my breakfast and brewing coffee. I bought a little 4-cup Mr. Coffee and a big $10 bucket of Folger's and had at it. I figured I'd best drink it black so that's what I did.

I probably have it six days a week. Cuz about once a week I have cereal and fruit and it just doesn't go with coffee. The other day I made a late breakfast, made a couple of cups of coffee and forgot to drink it.

I don't get up and immediately think "Coffee!" Both in art and in real life I've seen people claim that they are useless without that morning coffee. I've never experienced that.

Maybe there are people who wait too long to get imprinted? I ask this because I went about 28 years actively, full-court press, avoiding caffeine. Maybe if you wait too long to start with coffee or other caffeine-loaded drinks, it's too late to become addicted?

And I tolerate the taste; I don't yearn for it, or bask in it.

Anyone start drinking caffeinated beverages after hitting their 20s and can weigh in on this?

Date: June 18, 2021 08:31PM

God, I can't handle reading you before my coffee.

Date: June 18, 2021 08:32PM

Freakin' Mean Girl!!!

Date: June 18, 2021 08:49PM

I'm only a mean girl before I drink my coffee.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 07:07PM

Drinking coffee must be deadly because I have been drinking it since I was 19 years old and I am barely 85 1/2

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 08:46PM

In the 2010 TED Talk "Where Good Ideas Come From" by Steven Johnson, the speaker credits the rise of coffee houses in Europe in the 17th and 18th centuries for facilitating the fruitful exchange of ideas that led to the Enlightenment and even the industrial revolution. His contention is that "good ideas" aren't primarily 'eureka moments' of isolated individuals but rather result from the sharing of ideas by creative minds. Coffee houses provided the place for that to occur. Furthermore, this was a great improvement over pubs. Before coffee drinking, people mainly drank wine and beer since the water was often unsafe, and hence went around most of the day...drunk!The caffeine stimulant was much more conducive to thinking than the alcohol depressant.

Does coffee serve that same purpose today?
(Linda Richman's Coffee Talk: "Talk amongst yourselves. 'The Mormon Tabernacle Choir is neither Mormon nor a tabernacle nor a choir.' Discuss.")

Date: June 18, 2021 09:07PM

It's only my opinion, but I believe The Cat would have been thrown out of any coffee house where I felt comfortable chatting with the 'usuals'.

Lot's Wife might have been tolerated if she bought the occasional round...

Date: June 18, 2021 09:21PM

It would be my honor!

By the way, can you spare a twenty?

Date: June 19, 2021 10:38PM

RFM is today’s coffee shop but a little slower to administer the bum’s rush.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: June 19, 2021 11:53AM

I'm drinking it right now

Locally Roasted
Whole Bean
Freshly Ground
Hot Brewed
Pour-Over Screen
Big Owl Cup
Half and Half
Almost out....

AGHH...

Kettle back on
Time to roll

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 19, 2021 09:22PM

What about the health benefits of coffee enemas ?

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 19, 2021 09:58PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 23, 2021 03:25PM

I just enjoy the fact that we've all learned that coffee has no negative effects. It certainly is no reason for God to destroy a family because someone drinks coffee for breakfast.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.