Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 05:02PM

Marcus Morris scored 24 points for the LA Clippers in the blowout game 4 victory over the Utah Jazz.

When asked if his twin brother Markieff Morris would be travelling to SLC to watch game 5, Marcus responded:

HELL NO -
I don't know anyone who wants to go to Utah . . . .

Years ago when the Warriors were dominant and could beat just about any team, the Warriors players were asked if they preferred to play against L.A. or Utah in the next playoff round.
"There's no nightlife in Utah"
"Players need a little bit of nightlife"
One problem with Utah is you sit around and "your mind kind of goes dead"
There's a vibe in L.A. and you get energized for basketball.
The "Utah vibe" lulls you to sleep. The vibe is "man let's just get outta here"

In the 90s, Dennis Rodman famously abandoned Utah during the NBA finals, skipped sleep, and went over to Las Vegas because "he just couldn't take it anymore."

When Scottie Pippen was asked if Rodman would return to Utah for the next game, he said "yeah he'll be back . . . I think he'll be back . . . well I really hope he comes back"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 06:12PM

On the other hand, if you like an outdoor lifestyle, there are few places that are better.

Date: June 15, 2021 06:40PM

Colorado is better, but Utah is a really good place.
How many 14ers in Utah? . . . not very many

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 19, 2021 08:28PM

He skis A LOT. He doesn't like the mormons around here, BUT he has a home on the side of the mountain in a nice area of Cache Valley. There are mountains on 3 sides of his house. He can see Powder Mountain and Snow Basin from his front patio.

He was going to sell his house and move back to CO when he retires and spend time there and in Canada where his daughter lives (son is in CO). BUT he can't replace his house for what he can get out of it (and he can make A LOT because of where it is and its uniqueness compared to what he paid 8 years ago), but he decided to keep his house and spend part of the year here. The nearest ski resort is 40 minutes away. Isn't the grandest of ski resorts, but he skis on Sundays and there are no lines. It is also where he learned to ski in his 20s when working here. He has told me how long it takes to get to ski resorts from where he used to live in Longmont. Sometimes 4 hours. The way to ski in CO is to own a place up by the ski resorts or sit in traffic.

So there are pluses to Utah. Even if you have to buy your alcohol at the liquor store. Golfing is much cheaper (and the skiing is much cheaper here, too).

Date: June 15, 2021 06:45PM

Zion's National Park is immensely popular and for good reason-
the spectacular scenery is unique on the entire planet - nothing quite the same anywhere else.
and some other Utah places are spectacularly beautiful and not found elsewhere.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 06:18PM

Plus Utah simply remains the BEST place in the world to annoy mormons.

Date: June 15, 2021 07:10PM

There's jackmormons in Utah, but not any Mormons any more.

The dedicated types take Uncle Russ's orders seriously, and so they consider themselves Latter-day Saints and not Mormons.

Posted by: daverichards1 ( )
Date: June 17, 2021 10:02AM

Anyone who saw the anti-mask protests in Provo (Oh the horror!) when people were asked if they were LDS, most said yes. Did you know that President Nelson said to wear a mask? He doesn't know what he's talking about. Do you accept him as a prophet and head of the Church? Yes I do but he still doesn't know what he's talking about. (The man is a doctor LOL! as probably most people on here know.)

That happened in Provo which is still over 90% LDS (according to polls). I don't know what % is actually active, but if they ever want to film another Stepford Wives movie, it's the place to do it.

I have a friend who does not know I was associated with the Church and she went to SLC. She did the Temple Square tour, This the Place, and BY's house. She had studied up on Brigham and started asking the tourguide some questions which would make any active member uncomfortable.

Then she got onto Joseph Smith and his underage wives and the tourguide said that she'd be happy to discuss that in private but they are on a tour right now.

My friend responded that you asked us if we had any questions.

She doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and isn't much of a party person as such, but she said she and her husband spent 3 days in UT and at the end of the 2nd day were happy to leave. It was just too boring and when her husband had a beer in a restaurant in SLC people just stared at him.

I haven't been to Utah since the late 80s and I have no plans to return. It's crowded, polluted, and the traffic on the I-15 I have heard is insane.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: June 19, 2021 08:32PM

The neighbors are perplexed by us. He is out front right now with his boyfriend. My boyfriend spends a lot of time here. We still get those idiots who invite us to parties, etc. My "husband" actually went to one and our TBM daughter couldn't believe it. Neither could I. It was supposedly a "neighborhood party."

My family was never much accepted in mormonism as we weren't your normal mormons. I was the most devout of them all. Crazy me. Thought I needed to save my family. So being OUT is fun. It is a lot more fun than trying to fit in with the bunch of idiots.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 07:39PM

I doubt that living the life of a "saint" ranks very high, though.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 07:43PM

And I should care about the opinions of people paid to run around in their underwear because why?

I wouldn’t be upset if the in-migration dropped off substantially. Crowding and winter air pollution, and now water are becoming real issues. The Wasatch Front is choking on its popularity.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 15, 2021 10:42PM

SIL called from Ogden, said it was about 100F today. Their irrigation water is limited and will be shut off a month and half early.

Hot and windy, not much fun.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 17, 2021 05:58AM

Lawns are nice and green, though.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 10:27AM

<<One problem with Utah is you sit around and "your mind kind of goes dead">>

Yup.

Actually, Utah is a nice place with good people mired in a numbing culture.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 12:12PM

“Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded.”

Reality check. According to the Census Bureau, Utah is the fastest growing state in the nation. It does have a higher than average birth rate, but not that much higher, and not the highest in the nation (ND). Plus a chunk of that birth rate is out of state college students who will not be permanent residents.

Much of the growth is in-migration, and much of that is corporate hires,

There are four separate public radio stations (KUER, KCPW/KPCW, KRCL, KBYU) on the Wasatch, a metro area of only two million. That’s a lot for a small population base.

Rose Wagner Theater (300 S, two venues), Capitol Theater (200 S), Eccles Theater (100 S, huge, two venues), Abravanel Hall (S Temple (0 S)), The Assembly Hall (S Temple), new performing arts venue in Taylorsville opened last month, Hale Theater and Sandy amphitheater in Sandy, Usana amphitheater, Kingsbury Hall, Vivent Arena, Maverick Center, and several medium size venues in Provo/Orem, Ogden, and Park City. Oh, and Red Butte Gardens and amphitheater.

Three modern dance, one Brazilian dance company, and Ballet West.

Four federal wilderness areas within sight of most of the SL Valley (I think the names are Lone Peak, Twin Peaks, Mount Olympus, Timpanogos, that one visible from the west side of the valley, and in all of Utah County)

A dozen ski resorts along the Wasatch Front, if you include Logan.

Sundance Film Festival.

A fistful of museums: two for natural history, modern art, fine art, astronomy, LDS history, and a world famous genealogy library.

I once counted about thirty licensed (alcohol) restaurants within a two block radius of 200 S and Main St.

There are three light rail, one trolley, and one heavy rail line. Plus Amtrak and a major hub airport.

For a medium size metro area, I think the Wasatch Front is doing pretty well. If anything, we need to slow growth down.

ETA: just glanced at the UT and critical race theory thread. Yes, our legislature often has their heads where the sun don’t shine, though they do surprise us now and then and do something useful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 12:22PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 12:21PM

Huh?? Wow. The strippers in SLC must be REALLY bad. Usually a decent strip club is all that is required to keep an NBA player happy.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: June 16, 2021 02:19PM

Yeah
verily
I agree!
I am leaving Utah,returning to Arizona tomorrow 6-17-21

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2021 04:44PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 17, 2021 10:24AM

We just left there. Altitude sickness nearly killed us bottom dwellers.

Never going back. Our kids are getting outta there.

Posted by: Thomas Wolfe ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 02:32PM

You Can't Go Home Again

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: June 18, 2021 06:23PM

My nephew (not LDS), his wife and daughters age 14.5 and 11 moved to St. George recently. My nephew made up his mind one morning to move and within a week they were in a hotel in St. George looking for a house and put their CA house on the market. They rented a home for 2 months until their new house was built.

Nephew sites that he doesn't like "the way things are done in California", the people, the liberal attitude - whatever...he's an everything is black-and-white kind of person and inherited his dad's all-or-nothing attitude.

Kids are homeschooled now by their mom who is a teacher that works at a school.

He loves it there - most people think the way he does and join in on his rants. He says the people are just so darn nice and bring them goodies, helped with moving, offer to take the girls on outings with their kids, BBQ's, dinners...love-bombing at it's best.

I asked him if he understood why they were doing these things and lavishing attention on then and he naively said it's just them being nice. I told him their 'niceness' comes with a price but he's convinced they are 'just in love' with he and his family.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 19, 2021 08:40PM

I've got a 20+ yr Sweetie who lives / owns a house on the Avenues in SLC;
stay tuned foe details!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.