Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frank ( )
Date: June 27, 2021 08:50AM

I have wondered which cult is most fanatic of those two. What do you people out there think? Aren´t they pretty similar in alot of things? Except the so called "priesthood" and the Book of mormon in mormonism?

I think mormonism tries more to be "nice" to ex-members than J.Witnesses, but in the end it seems to be the same way of how to treat those who leave their faith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: June 27, 2021 11:59AM

JWs are "worse" and more toxic in three ways:

1. Shunning of ex-members is official policy and more complete.

2. Discouraging all higher education because "the second coming is near" makes JWs less able to function in the real world.

3. Prohibiting blood transfusions can and does literally kill them.

OTOH, mormonism is much, much weirder and far more bizarre, no contest. Also, the mormon church holds more political power than the JWs ever can, and largely controls an entire state. And then there's the money…

Scientology is worse than both.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: June 27, 2021 06:03PM

One JW brother and his wife have completely shunned their daughter because she “left the truth.” If he wants to contact the daughter he has to ask permission of the grand high JW poobah. His wife refuses to contact the daughter at all.

Their son was killed in an auto accident 25 years ago. And they shun their only other kid—their daughter. They lost twin granddaughters who allegedly needed blood transfusions, which they refused. They bragged about thier “righteous” refusal on behalf of those babies. So, they’ve run outta kids n grandkids and doubled down on the JW-ism. They think it’s an equitable trade.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 27, 2021 06:34PM

So children feel like freaks.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 11:30AM

Usually the older elementary children have been thoroughly indoctrinated, so it doesn't seem to bother them. It can be very hard on the younger children. If we were doing a holiday coloring activity, I would always offer an alternative, but they would always want the picture of the Easter egg or the Christmas tree, like their classmates. So when they were finished, I would make a fuss over it, and ask them if I could hang it on the wall (they always said yes.) Problem solved.

I had a very bright JW student once. He took a strong interest in math and science. I used to talk to him about the possibility of using those talents one day in his chosen profession. I told him he would make a good physician. It made me sad to realize that would likely never come true.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 07:46PM

And they were bothered by getting alternative activities. Sometimes they'd ask to do what the class did and then give away the finished product. I usually didn't hang them up because those parents often visited class, likely see the wall hangings and wouldn't like them if done by their children.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 27, 2021 08:32PM

I used to be the receptionist at an Emergency Rm.

I'll never forget when a young woman came in with a bloody forearm, around which she had rapped a cloth.

She walked back and forth in front of me for a couple of moments, and then decided to leave.

Sad.

Posted by: frank ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 02:05AM

How has mormons treated you after you left the religion?

What is your experiences in this question as ex-mormons?

For my own situation it has been around 90% silence from the mormons that I use to have around me.

Strange how silence can be so silent.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 11:26AM

IIRC, Nightingale has been a member of both denominations.

I would go with the JWs as being the more controlling of the two, due to the organized shunning of apostates.

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 11:46AM

Industry is studying environmental annoyance.
Next time accosted by these folks will light up the smartphone decibel meter, take a read & compare

I shall return and report

Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 11:55AM

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 03:47PM

Do the JW’s have anything analogous to the temple?

As one who’s being shunned by every TBM family member, I can say that Mormon shunning is total and complete. They may “try” harder to reel you [back] in, but when they’ve given up on you, you might as well be deceased, because they’re just waiting to do your work by proxy.

Speaking of which, are JWs as obsessed with death and/or marriage?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.