Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 08:58PM

>Posted by: lisadee ( )
>Date: June 22, 2021 11:54AM
>Any of you ever been scammed? I feel so ashamed.

>I am so ashamed at my age to have been scammed. Ashamed I was >so stupid at my age. Now, I have to suffer my stupidity. I was >scammed out of over $1,000. And I am on SS. I dont know how >I'm going to recoup this money.

Here's a link to an article that indicates robocalls may be reduced soon.

https://www.chron.com/cnet/article/Robocalls-are-out-of-control-But-that-could-16277448.php

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: June 28, 2021 10:05PM

It's all so very annoying. When I was a kid, there were door-to-door salesmen. Now they just dial into your homes and they're often not legitimate either, but are criminals.

I guess you'll see if this does anything. I'm in Canada, so it probably won't impact me.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 12:44AM

I hope that it helps. I feel like the scammers are holding my landline hostage. They've rendered it pretty much unusable.

I feel that robocalls should be a privilege, and that organizations who wish to send robocalls (schools, government agencies, etc.) should go through a vetting process. The phone carriers should shut down all other robocalls.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 03:09AM

Thanks for all the input.

I'm really just trying to move past this. This month will be rough but I'm trying to survive with what I have to work with.

I've got to not beat myself and concentrate on how to live and catch up with my debts. It's stressful on a fixed income. But I believe God will help me.

Thanks again.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 10, 2021 12:06AM

Date: July 10, 2021 12:10PM

SNORT...........

Just spilt my Saturday morning coffee.

Date: July 10, 2021 12:27PM

When I first saw it, I thought that it's surprisingly good quality (I have a Bachelor's degree in Studio Art.) It turns out that major art dealers and other art professionals agree with that assessment. Hunter should do quite well with it.

And it makes me want to pick up a paintbrush again! :)

Date: July 12, 2021 05:50PM

Or a naval officer.

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I first saw it, I thought that it's
> surprisingly good quality (I have a Bachelor's
> degree in Studio Art.) It turns out that major art
> dealers and other art professionals agree with
> that assessment. Hunter should do quite well with
> it.

"Jerry Saltz, an art critic who won the 2018 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism, says that 85 percent of the new product is rubbish. Perhaps Hunter’s work will beat those odds, although the reviews so far are at best, well, mixed. Saltz calls Hunter’s oeuvre “generic post zombie formalism illustration.”

Jeffry Cudlin, professor of art curatorial studies and practice at the Maryland Institute College of Art, told the Washington Examiner that Biden’s efforts were “fine decorative amateur work,” adding, “Hey, everybody needs a hobby!”

[Source: National Review]
>
> And it makes me want to pick up a paintbrush
> again! :)

Or a straw? (Just make sure it's paper, not plastic!)

Date: July 12, 2021 06:15PM

Well, as an art professor of mine once said, "Choose your critics." Some major dealers like his art, so I think he will do just fine. Not everyone can do the sort of fine detail in which he specializes.

Date: July 12, 2021 11:20PM

If you think it's art lovers who pony up this kind of cash, I've got a bridge to sell you. But to safeguard the "ethics," nobody will know who's buying which painting (which some people call "art") for how much money--not even Hunter! All in the interest of "transparency."

Edit: I agree, "I think he will do just fine," too.

"He's (Hunter) the smartest guy I know." (Papa Joe)

Posted by: Sunshine in the dark ( )
Date: July 10, 2021 01:39PM

When one is called with a deal - tell them to send printed information as they have your phone number so they most likely have your mailing address. "I don't buy anything over the phone and if you don't have printed literature/information I don't do business with you".

Then hang up.

Over a bit of time the calls really slow down.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 01:38AM

I try to be polite, tell them no thank you, bye.

Are they regular people who were promised big commissions, then realize they found themselves a really crappy job?

So I just say no thanks. Bye.

(And block their numbers.)

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 10:05AM

Lisadee,

Many here were scammed for tens and hundreds of thousands—-by the Mormon church.

Talk about shame and embarrassment. Please don’t beat yourself up.

Date: July 12, 2021 01:13PM

Read the comments in the Nonsequitur comic strip... some great suggestions.

https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2021/07/12?ct=v&cti=1465945

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 06:16PM

> https://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2021/07/12?ct=v&cti=1465945

Wow!!!!

My favorite:

“You’re calling about my Microwave?”

Date: July 20, 2021 02:02PM

The latest scam concerns the delivery of packages. My cell phone keeps blowing up from "Fed Ex" desperately wanting my to click a sketchy link to arrange a package delivery. Got a similar one from "Amazon" on my landline. Right now I'm not expecting any deliveries. I figure the relevant companies can send me an email or leave a slip on my door if needed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.