Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 10, 2021 09:24PM

Posting on RfM for years and seeing a poster named "kathleen" responding with the best one liners and responses, I came to respect her years and years ago. Now I have had the privilege of being a conspirator in a collision of word crimes in creating a short book of poems and short stories.

It seems like a great RfM moment in a long series of great moments coming from my time contributing here. And I am proud to announce our book has been published by kathleen. Here is the link.

https://books.apple.com/us/book/breath-of-ezra/id1575825869

What a ride it has been. I've always loved reading and writing poetry but I've let years pass without "an attempt" with those being spotty. My work never seemed good enough to even keep. Many of my poems have been filed in the circular receptacle filing cabinet, But Kathleen gave me a reason to write during this Covid time. It was like a shot of creative juice, a drug of sorts to feel like I had something to write for - an eventual book we would publish. And we did!

But what benefits from these "attempts" at poetry. My father died in the midst of these efforts and I was able to process my grief through writing a poem about him and including his poem in this book as well - without his permission. It felt vindicating. My feelings for him are raw and don't evoke love or sadness but a feeling of gratitude for something he had that my mother lacks - kindness.

Also, there is a poem in this work directly related to my post Mormonism - "Mormon Body No More" which deals with my feelings of separation with the church at a visceral level. Most of us exmos who had the honorific horror of going through the temple know what it is like toe be violated bodily in the name of deity. Fitting for me that I could write a poem literarily(probably not a word) separating myself from the church.

And Kathleen, her Short Story contest winning entry is in this book, is the title of a poem I wrote to accompany this work, as well as the title of the song my exmo brother composed from my poem (link to the mp3 in the book.)

What a heart-wrenching and tear jerking short story. My brother even told me he struggled with the composition but we all, him, Kathleen, and I love the result. And you can read it here on RfM if you don't want to read the published version (which is slightly different.)

It is a story involving one of the many stupid and foolish "doctrines" of Mormonism - that a baby can't be sealed, blessed with eternal life in being cataloged with the Mormon dead unless they take one, only one minute baby's breath. Like most Mormon stuff it is all about heated air and in it's highest quorums hotter, older, and blustering about eternal nothing. I'm thinking Jefferey's jowls jiggling with anger from "The Lord" at misbehaving and mistakenly believing "lazy learners."

So, thank you RfM for existing and Kathleen and I own the existence of our efforts to you. I dedicated the book to my kids (each one has a poem in it and since I am with them right now they had fun finding their own) but I would add here an additional dedication to Eric, Concrete Zipper, Susan I/S, Tevia and the many others who have worked on this effort of helping Mormons and former Mormons and potential Mormons in their recovery from Mormonism. Thank you.

Robert Hodson

P. S. This is a CZ approved post.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 10, 2021 11:11PM

I'm impressed. It looks moving and inspirational. I can tell you put your hearts into this.
You are both such great posters, I'll bet a lot of us would appreciate your experiences in this form.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 12:15AM

We decided that if nothing else we would have fun. And we did! This was a wonderful project.

Robert's prose is addicting (as RfM-ers know). My family so appreciates how he honored our little grandson with his poem, "Breath of Ezra," that his brother set to music.

There's also a lot of fun stuff in our book, like when Robert answered my poem, "Border Collie," with his "Borderline Collie."

We almost met in person last month while he flew into Utah and we were on our way out. That was disappointing, but it's not the last time we'll all be running to Utah.

One thing--if you love to write, Apple Books' Customer Support is wonderful. They made it easy to get our book up and running online.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: July 11, 2021 01:23PM

I'm really looking forward to this. You are two of my favourite posters with sensibilities I construe as being close to mine, although that could be my empathic internet projection ;-)

I would like to buy it but my ageing brain can't see how to on the page that you linked to. What haven't I understood (in this particular case - the rest of my incomprehension would take several lifetimes to clear ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2021 01:24PM by Soft Machine.

Date: July 12, 2021 10:26AM

My family bought it on their iPhones. I don't know how you can read it without apple.

Kathleen is preparing an Amazon release.

I would love your feedback Tom. You are a poster I also feel a kindred connection with here.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 02:45PM

>>Kathleen is preparing an Amazon release.

I'm glad! I don't have/use Apple stuff.

Date: July 12, 2021 03:08PM

I don't have or use any Apple stuff. Too expensive for me ;-)

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 11:11AM

Soft Machine.

Please e-mail me.

Thanks!

CZ
concrete.zipper@gmail.com

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 02:55PM

That exclamation point means that Tom is not in trouble.

Date: July 12, 2021 03:09PM

Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 04:19PM

Lot's Wife,

Please e-mail me.

Thanks%%$#efefvoc++++

CZ

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 12, 2021 04:20PM

Haha! Low-hanging fruit, CZ!

Date: September 17, 2021 07:22PM

The Amazon version is now available.

I added to Kathleen's initial writeup. I hope you don't mind Kathleen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GDXJ1SR

Also I wanted my brother's song to be linkable from the book's description. Well not allowed.

https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fs%2Fzshu2cwbo626zvov4gi89s7uth3wrqcw/view/830067157616

If you do take the plunge and read it great. Right now I've sold exactly one copy - to myself and I gave it a great review!

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 11:03AM

Thanks to Elder Berry, our book is easily accessible on Amazon.

There are many great writers on RfM. Hopefully those of you who like to write will follow our example. My Mac “Pages” were nightmarish to convert to pdf, but EB got us going anyway.

Pdf distortions aside, this has been a great experience and opportunity that allowed us to expound on the plight of sick children, and many other things.

Thanks, EB, for your skill and working late into the night to make it all work.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:08PM

Wow. This looks good. I have Amazon Prime and an iPad so it was free to download. Thanks for putting this book together. Just starting to read it now. Hope there is some enumeration from Prime.

Date: September 20, 2021 12:10PM

Please let us know what you think? We love feedback and there is much I can tweak and change when I have the time. As a musician I hoped you would like my exmo bro's song?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.