Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 02:42PM

https://www.boredpanda.com/mormons-polygamous-family-life/

One of the kids went on social media about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 03:00PM

How does one man support that many wives and children?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 07:13PM

I don't know Canadian welfare systems, but in the USA 26 wives and about 148 children could go on welfare and collect sizeable amounts of benefits from food, health care, etc.

Isn't the term the polygamists in southern Utah use is called "Bleed the Beast"?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 07:32PM

An article by Daphne Bramham, newspaper columnist, stated in 2009 that it's unknown whether people in polygamous situations can receive welfare in Canada.

Privacy concerns is the usual reason given for the lack of information on the subject.

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/do-b-c-s-polygamists-get-welfare

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 03:03PM

to support themselves and help support the others.

My great grandmother was a polygamist (and great grandfather of course). He took 2 wives to St. George and left her in Trenton, Utah, to manage the farm with her kids. She had 2 deaf children on top of managing the farm. My mother lived with her and her parents when she was little child.

This is so disgusting. I can't even think of a good word to describe it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 03:04PM

Good grief.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 15, 2021 04:25PM

I knew before I opened the link that it would be Blackmore.

I had the great good fortune to meet Debbie Palmer, anti-polygamy activist in B.C. Canada. She was a small, quiet-spoken woman who was tireless in her quest to help the women and children trapped in polygamous compounds such as Bountiful. She wrote a book about her life, stunning in its raw personal disclosures of the abuse and hardships she and other girls and women were (and are) subjected to. For one, she was sexually abused by older boys in the compound at the appallingly young age of 4 and suffered long-term effects from the physical damage they did. In her lifetime Debbie suffered physical and sexual abuse by her father (Dalmon Oler), a brother, and as above, by teen boys as a young girl.

There is also a documentary film detailing her experiences. Here's a write-up about it:

https://bountiful.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/leavingbountiful_pr.pdf

Here’s a newspaper article that was written after Deb’s death in 2020: (The writer is a newspaper columnist who followed Debbie's story and frequently published articles about the issues around Mormon polygamy).

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/columnists/daphne-bramham-outspoken-activist-against-polygamy-dies

Excerpts:

“She was the first to lift the veil of secrecy that had protected the community from outsiders in the early 1990s.

“By demanding criminal charges against the leaders for their abuse of women and children, she became a thorn in the sides of a succession of provincial attorneys-general, police and other politicians.

“But she was shunned and shamed by family and childhood friends. Palmer’s activism took a huge toll. She died last weekend at the age of 64.

“Palmer was the oldest in a family of 47 children. When she was only six, her mother died, leaving Debbie and her two siblings to be raised by their father’s other five wives, who had multiple children of their own.

“At 15, Palmer was one of Bountiful’s first child brides. In a religious ceremony, she became the sixth wife of the community’s leader, Ray Blackmore. He was 40 years older than her. Palmer was a widow by 18.

“The community’s elders – all men — placed her in another plural marriage to a man who was so abusive that she was released and later married Marvin Palmer with whom she had five children.

“But life in Bountiful finally became intolerable and, in 1988, the mother of eight fled becoming one of the first women in either Canada or the United States to escape without leaving any of her children behind.”

---

Winston Blackmore is the infamous leader of Bountiful now (which is described in the documentary film write-up as “a branch plant of Colorado City”). Debbie was his step-mother (as she was married to his father, Ray, becoming his sixth wife, as above).

For such a small and quietly-spoken woman Debbie made an enormous, and loud, impact. I met her at a gathering to show her film and we kept in touch. I spoke to her many times about her experiences, the records she had and the book she was writing. We discussed the needs of women who were trying to escape from Bountiful and ways to assist them. One of Debbie's sisters is/was the midwife there. Needless to say, she was kept plenty busy with the constant stream of births.

I greatly admired Debbie's strength, honesty and willingness to lay her life and soul bare to try and effect change for the children and women of Bountiful, as well as any males who wanted to escape.

Debbie was also active in trying to assist polygamy's victims in the USA.

She was called "...a crusader against what she calls the “illegal cross-border trade in Canadian and American female children for sexual and breeding purposes.”

She stated that polygamy is "slavery for religious purposes".

The abusive system survives. Many of its victims do not.

I was terribly sad when I heard that Deb had died. She deserved to enjoy a long and happy retirement. Her job post-Bountiful (as a social worker) was demanding, just as her Bountiful experience and the leave-taking were. And, of course, she remained in that world, albeit in a different way, as she never stopped trying to help others who were caught up in it without resources, choices or freedom.

RIP, Deborah Ann Palmer.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 10:34AM

They are just getting a head start at Celestial Kingdom-ing.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 02:57PM

He must stand errect at all times

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:22PM

I had heard that there are behind closed doors polygamous relationships in Raymond, AB. I'd love to hear from someone there if that is indeed the case (and/or in Magrath or Cardston)....and no, it would not surprise me in the slightest of it were true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 03:22PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: The original MOI! ( )
Date: July 20, 2021 03:55PM

It wouldn't surprise me at all if there is polygamy done in secret in good ol' Raytown. Also, the way people carry on with their horses, and bow low to Ray Knight is absurd. It's next to beastiality the way idiots worship their horses, and even erect a bronze idol to their horse god on mainstreet. Stupid b@stards.

But the Raymond Playhouse, or Penthouse Society crowd was infamous for 'extracurricular activities' between 'actors' and 'actresses' in past productions. LOL! There hasn't been a stupid play put on since the coof arrived.

I wonder how that group of Mormons are doing up at Hillspring. The ones that are following the 'True Order of the Priesthood' crowd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.