Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 17, 2021 04:10PM

I don’t know by what magic my computer led me here this morning:

The Tokens – The Lion Sleeps Tonight (1966)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgI4DdINQLQ

One of the comments about the video: “Been singing this song for 30 something years and today is the day I found out that the Tokens aren't black.”

That made me laugh. I read it as a compliment to the singers and their sound. For me, it’s the first time I’ve ever heard the Tokens (that I know of) and the first I’ve known about this song being from way back. I thought it was original music from The Lion King, ha.

Then I looked it up and found out it’s originally from 1939, written and recorded by Solomon Linda (original title ‘Mbube’ – Zulu for ‘lion’). Many artists performed the song and many made money after it became a hit, not always including the songwriter. Copyright issues arose and eventually some restitution was made to Solomon Linda’s estate.

From Wiki:

“The Weavers [Pete Seeger, folk singer] recorded an adapted version with brass and string orchestra and chorus and released it as a 78 single titled "Wimoweh", a mishearing of the original song's chorus of "Uyimbube", Zulu: You are a lion. Their version contained the chanting chorus "Wimoweh"…”

Amazingly, here’s Solomon Linda & The Evening singing Mbube (1939):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrrQT4WkbNE

Another video of Solomon Linda et al:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqfMdChj74Q

One of the most surprising, and disappointing, aspects of The Mormon Church for me was the lack of inspiring music. Apart from that, some American patriotic songs are included in the songbook. Why the good heck (sister-missionary-speak), I had to ask at the time, is a congregation in Canada singing the American national anthem? No offence intended but really? Isn’t that some kind of treason anyway? To sing another country’s anthem? (Especially on July 4!). And in church? What would be the point of that? Are the Big-3 that completely insular not to mention clueless? And what about us who sang it? Because dissent will not be tolerated, you know.

The Lion tune always brings a tear to my eye, the haunting chorus I guess. That link led to the one below, which you can’t watch without smiling or even dancing along. Hearing this in The Church sure would have livened up the interminable “reverent” sacrament sessions.

From tears evoked by the haunting Lion melody, to laughter at the thought of seeing and hearing anything in SM like the video below and being enticed to dance along. Scandalous! Likely excommunicatable!

Miriam Makeba (1967):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeP3hrm__k

But really. Why such dull LDS church music? Unless you count the MoTab. But they’re not representative of the music in every Mormon congregation. And not to everybody’s taste either.

Maybe partly it's because they mostly avoid non-mo church music? How Great Thou Art is in their repertoire though. That being one of my favourite hymns pre-mo, little innocent me thought that was a sign that LDS Inc. was A-OK. I've learned since to be more discriminating. Or more informed. Or whatever promises the better outcome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 17, 2021 05:48PM

I agree. How Great Thou Art was not in the LDs hymn book when I joined in the 60s. It was added some time later when they revised the song book. I think the late 70s. My own personal favorite is When I Survey the Wondrous Cross. I don't recall it being sung that often in Mormon services but when it was I thought it painfully slow like so many others. Sadly, I guess to my generation much church music, outside Mormonism, is heavily into what are called choruses sometimes referred to by cynics as 7/11 choruses. Seven verses sung 11 times. Often catchy tunes with little substance IMV.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 09:49AM

Appropriate songs that I used to sing as special numbers in sacrament meeting are no longer allowed. It appears to me that these are isolation measures to further separate the members from the rest of the "normal" world!!

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: July 18, 2021 02:36AM

I want to hear Mormon hymns "jazzed" like New Orleans jazz puts the dance step in titles like "Just A Closer Walk with Thee," "Battle Hymn of the Republic," and "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." Great funeral sendoff music.

"Come Come Ye Saints" parade march at Mardi Gras.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:10PM

I believe it was Boyd K Packer who was behind the mandate that all songs sung at church/church-related activities must be from the approved hymnal. That pretty much quashed any chance of musical diversity or innovation. I'm pretty sure he has sealed his legacy as wet blanket of the latter days.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:45PM

And yet, I have found that many exMormons have excellent taste in music and books.

Ten years ago, I discovered the fabulous Tim Minchin on this board. I found so many great books, too… and a few have even stopped by my YouTube channel and have encouraged me as I learn guitar.

Imagine what would happen if Mormons were allowed more freedom to be inspirational.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2021 03:46PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 03:57PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Imagine what would happen if Mormons were allowed
> more freedom to be inspirational.

Yes. No doubt. Absolutely, talented people, but squelched. That's why it's such a celebration to welcome brand-new exmos to the outside world.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 04:43PM

The hymn "I Believe in Christ" is ascribed to Bruce McConkie. My guess is that it was written by a committee,, but maybe not. In any case, the rumor is that it was written immediately after our friend Bruce stomped on George Pace for promulgating an increased emphasis on Jesus in the church. Apparently Bruce R. was qualified to tell us how to envision Jesus, but George was obviously overstepping his Priesthood bounds. Funny.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 06:40PM

I have multiple church song books for mutual and primary from the 30s thru the 60s.

They are full of secular songs including.

Camp town races
Dixie
Battle Hymn of the Republic
Brahm's Lulabye
Frosty the Snowman
Once the was a Snowman
Over the River and Through the Woods

And many many more.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 19, 2021 10:56PM

My mom has an old red MIA songbook from her youth with lots of folk songs, Stephen Foster tunes, etc. One memorable inclusion was an almost incredibly politically incorrect "Shortnin' Bread." It was too bad the lyrics were so offensive, as I recall the piano accompaniment as being bluesy and rather awesome.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.