Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 02:01PM

Attention: Baby Boomers!!!

https://i.redd.it/5ihy8wjddwc71.jpg

& what did you think about it at that time?

Did you buy it or did you think HE'S off his rocker?

Enquiring minds wanna know!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dr. No ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 02:06PM

I bin out in the sun an' bin gettin' several shades darker . . .
- does that meen anyfing?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 02:22PM

I remember it well. I am 85 and remember this clearly.By this time the man was delusional. He had started to believe his own bullshit and couldn't get out of the corner he was backed into.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 02:27PM

Not aware of that....but I saw and heard him speak in stake confernz about 1960?.....and thought he was a nutter then.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 04:12PM

So she was getting whiter and elightsome, the Dawg didn't. What went wrong, you old Mutt?

;)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 04:47PM

I was a Junior at St. Rancho de las Costillas in the Fall of 1960. I was, and remain, one brown sumbitch.

Four years later, in September of 1964, this talk was used against me, as proof that I was more of a sinner in September than I'd been in March ... there in Las Vegas.

It wasn't the summer sun that was turning me browner, opined the Stake Patriarch's wife, it was all the sinning I was doing, mostly by thinking about mingling my seed with her daughter.

I have to admit that the logic is very, very easy to follow:

1.  ghawd turns sinners' skin tone dark (and loathsome!)

2.  if the sinners repent, ghawd will turn it back to white (and delightsome!)

3.  If as the summer progresses, an individual's skin gets more brown, it's cuz he's sinning...QED.

I'm aware that she very much thought that she was a faithful Mormon, living the full gospel, doing the best she could for the souls of her eternal children. Spencer's talk just icing on the cake. The key, the foundation, was "While & Delightsome". Why would anyone expect this to lose favor in Utah? I doubt that Spencer's talk has had much coverage in Spanish-speaking countries...

The last time I saw the woman was at my temple wedding. She invited herself into our sealing room and watched the ceremony and then afterward told me, "See, everything worked out!"

I no longer remember if I mentally told her to fuck off, or just remarked to myself, "what a bitch!" Either way, I'm pretty sure I smiled at her...

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 05:20PM

Date: July 30, 2021 05:41PM

I've slowed down my sinning, but haven't forsaken it!

I do feel the need to amplify on this theme a bit: The Stake Patriarch was a very sweet man, and a very loving father to his daughters, including the one I was dating. I don't think he had a prejudiced bone in his body.

It was all the mormon pioneer stock mother, born and raised in Delta, UT. (Saucie and I, during the road trip when we met up with the Boner, stopped in Delta. Racist sonsofbitches said she could stay as long as she wanted but I had to be out of town by sundown!!)

The Patriarch's wife was the only mormon who showed me this face of the church. Ghawd bless all the MIA-maids & Laurels who joined with me in the pleasure of pleasure, within the limits of mormon teen-pleasuring.

And how about Lakeview Ward, whose bishop called me to be the EQP soon after we moved in ... on a hunch, he said. Guess we know from whom he was getting his hunches. I was the only Mexican in the ward. I have no idea how he got the SP to go for it... Or maybe he didn't need the SP's permission?

Date: August 01, 2021 10:46PM

I don't know if it was because I'm Canadian (or that I just wasn't paying attention...which I GD sure wasn't in church) but the white and delightsome phrase was something I learned here....and it is a disgusting reprehensible piece of the cult.

Posted by: cuzx ( )
Date: November 23, 2021 05:57PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>     The last time I saw the woman was at my
> temple wedding. She invited herself into our
> sealing room and watched the ceremony and then
> afterward told me, "See, everything worked out!"
>
>
>     I no longer remember if I mentally told
> her to fuck off, or just remarked to myself, "what
> a bitch!" Either way, I'm pretty sure I smiled
> at her...

¡Ay, la chingada!

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 04:31PM

I remember Spencer W. Kimball giving talks about being "white and delightsome." I was a teenager and didn't know what to think. It did seem a little off and I cringed when he said it.

How does LDS Inc. explain the nonsense spewed from Spencer's lips? He was supposed to be the prophet and mouthpiece of God. He received revelation.

Between his damning book, The Miracle of Forgiveness, and his talks about being "white and delightsome," I think Spencer caused more damage than most of the "prophets."

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 04:39PM

I'm really glad I wasn't yet born.

Date: July 30, 2021 04:52PM

scmd1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm really glad I wasn't yet born.

I certainly expect you to comprehend the fact that your 'non-existence' at the time of his talk in no way -- NO WAY! -- lessens the degree of the guilt you must bear, White Boy!

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: August 03, 2021 02:44AM

I acknowledge my guilt.

In my family, though, it didn't work out as it did in Spencer w's account. My parents both remained naturally blond until their hair finally morphed to white, and their skin isn't much darker than their hair. All six kids were blond, though only two had the permanent blond that my parents had. Three of the six of us, however, have noticeably darker skin than our parents, and this was the case even prior to my apostasy, and our skin wasn't darker only with sun exposure. Did this happen because of our inherently wicked ways?

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 10:39PM

But Spencer is just quoting the Book of Mormon (before the Book of Mormon was changed after the Priesthood Revelation in 1978)

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 04:50PM

I was 4 going on 5 when he said that.

Posted by: run0emma0run ( )
Date: November 24, 2021 10:43PM

Hey, me too. I'm east of the Rockies now, as I see you are also.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 05:17PM

I remember hearing those things a lot. That and the Blacks cannot hold the priesthood always bothered me. I lived in Brigham where they had the Intermountain Indian School and I found it extremely problematic.

I was thrilled when I found out about the Blacks being able to hold the priesthood and go to the temple. I was thrilled when they decided that the school would close and the children would be able to stay home for school.

Just as a side note, does having freckles matter? Does it make me half brown? Myself, my mom, and my sister have A LOT of freckles. Mine kind of blend in. Must be all the time I spent in the sun doing farm work.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 05:30PM

I would have been 10. I would have heard that lovely bit of SWK's self aggrandizing ignorance because we always had to watch General Conference on television. I don't remember hearing that but all my family, including me I'm afraid, would have taken it as a great faith promoting proof of the truth of the church and the magnanimous love of Heavenly Father as he lifted the curse. At that time, the Aztec and Mayan ruins were still Nephite ruins and we had no reason to doubt the Book of Punishment by Dark Skin Curse.

Nobody should be raised that way.

(I was so relieved to be going to Argentina on my mission because I figured at least I wouldn't be attracted to the brown guys. I was gloriously wrong. Uh-oh.)

Date: July 31, 2021 11:43AM

I'm blushing!!

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 10:26AM

How can you tell? Blushing doesn't seem like something you've ever had to worry about...

Date: August 02, 2021 04:41PM

You are correct. I seriously cannot recall the last time I may have blushed. I think I'm lucky.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 05:52PM

I would have been 9 years old at this time. Mom & Dad made us kids all gather in front of the TV for conference and dutifully be quiet during such. I would have been playing with my Lincoln Logs and plastic Cowboys & Indians so I doubt that I was listening to much of what the old white men were saying. I had a log cabin to defend you know.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 06:56PM

Don't know where I was but where ever I was in a benign state of complete oblivion towards anything Mormon.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 11:13PM

I was a just a little girl in 1960, spending my entire childhood in an integrated California community. My happy-go-lucky disposition made it difficult for me to endure conference, or any nonsensical church stuff--and I was probably looking out the window, wanting to go outside and climb the trees. If I did hear it, I would not have believed it was meant literally. I never saw a "dark" person become lighter (until Michael Jackson).

Things have to make sense to a child, and that would never. I was never thoroughally brainwashed.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: July 30, 2021 11:47PM

Actually, this teaching lingered for many years, well into the '70's and '80's in Utah. I always felt even more inferior than normal, because of my dark (Irish) brown eyes and very curly hair. We lived in a beach town, and I couldn't help getting so tan that I looked like a Mexican. I know what it's like being treated like a Mexican in an all-white ward. We always got pulled over at the border, and my blonde, blue-eyed TBM husband and kids thought it was hilarious. My brothers and mother were blonde, and people speculated that I was adopted. This hurt--but there was something extra sinister in having those fake prophets equating darkness with evil. I mean, why even try for their approval?

Yeah, Elderolddog, Dark is still loveable! Poetic justice that the town's favorite Golden Boy fell in love with me, and not the others.

Advantages of being dark--
--Fewer problems with sunburns
--No psoriasis or crusties, or moles, like the palefaces get.
--Less chance of skin cancer (my blonde brothers all had it).
--Don't need eye makeup.
--Always winning in staring contests
--An intense dark stare can be used to frighten kids into behaving.
--Puppydog eyes
--Any color looks good on you
--You make a good spy, blending into any crowd, anywhere.

Dark is not "Loathesome". How dare they say that! Looking overweight and blubbery and being boring on TV is loathesome. Lying is loathesome. Hating, scamming, money-grabbing, bullying women and children is loathesome! Those Mormon creeps didn't win any favor from me with their criticism. I was as pure as the driven snow, and none of those dishonest businessmen could say that about themselves.

Date: July 31, 2021 10:39AM

Long slow clap building to thunderous applause from me, MWK. Beautiful.

I am most jealous about any color looking good on you. I used to get golden tans and the same was true, but now old and pasty I'm down to about three colors that work at all haha.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 05:26AM

Fortunately, I hadn't yet drunk the Kool-Aid, and was therefore oblivious.

Date: July 31, 2021 10:56AM

I sometimes think about the two guys we had in Junior High in the sixties who were part of the Indian Placement program in our 100% Mormon high school. One was really mellow and a great artist. The other was very athletic, very handsome, and had a big chip on his shoulder. At the time I didn't think much about any of it, but now I wonder how awful it would have been for them knowing how the church saw them as "less than" as we magnanimously gave them a chance to "lighten up." I could at least try to hide being gay, but they had to wear their Lamaniteness right up front for everyone to see.

They were well accepted and treated well as I remember, but the underlying elements of the situation had to grate. Don't want to meet up with many people from my past, but I would love to bump into them somewhere, sometime.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: July 31, 2021 03:25PM

I remember getting into this with our Institute teacher in Cali in the 70s. It was still the days of Lamanite Placement Program. This guy would travel 60 miles once a week to do Institute for the kids going to our remote Community College. He was full-time CES employee and was such a quack. He’d probably be a top apologist today if he hadn’t croaked young.

He was saying that Kimball noticed the kids in the Placement Program were getting whiter. And of course that’s because they were more immersed in the Godspell than those who stayed on the reservation. I guess I was a Molly Mormon budding skeptic because I was like “D’uh! They’re not out in the sun all day like the ones who stayed on the reservation. They’re in schools and homes and church and inside most of the time.” I was not his favorite student and the feeling was mutual. There were other issues I called him on. My father loved the guy and thought he was the CES Einstein.

Posted by: Pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: August 01, 2021 06:41PM

I recall this very clearly.
I'm one of six very white freckled kids. However,I have a sister than tans when she gets out in the sun. I did not get that gene.

I had already determined at a very young age that this sister was a total bitch. I took great delight in tormenting her about being more brown than me.

Date: August 01, 2021 07:01PM

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 12:41AM

I don’t remember this one, but back then I paid no attention to GA talks. None of my friends did either. I lived in SLC suffocating in church culture, but they couldn’t make me pay attention to GA talks.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 02, 2021 12:41AM

This reminded me of an incident related by a former coworker. She was a very light-skinned Black woman. She used to work at a university hospital. She was clerical but when nurses were short staffed, she would help out getting water or coffee for patients. She went to one old white man's room and he wanted coffee. She asked him how he took it. He said, "Just like you."
She returned with his coffee. He looked down into the cup and burst out laughing and apologized to her. He meant "Black" but "just like her" was enough creamer to make it almost milk. She asked him if he wanted another cup and he said, "No. I deserve to drink this one."

She made his coffee white and delightsome. LOL

Date: November 24, 2021 09:38PM

Saw that old bastard speak at our Lethbridge Stake conference about that time and told some pretty tall tales as I remember. Total bs in hindsight.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.