Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 15, 2021 09:53PM

So why deny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mG37KkzTF8

It boils down to tribal loyalty, just like Mormonism...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/vaccine-refusers-dont-want-blue-americas-respect/619627/

What is going on here? Sociology suggests that pundits and policy makers have been looking at vaccine refusal all wrong: It’s not an individual problem, but a social one. That’s why individual information outreach and individual incentives—such as Ohio’s Vax-a-Million program, intended to increase vaccine uptake with cash prizes and college scholarships—haven’t worked. Pandemics, by definition, are collective problems. They propagate and kill because people live in communities. As a result, addressing pandemics requires understanding interpersonal dynamics—not just what promotes trust among people, but which behaviors convey status or lead to ostracism.

Shifting from an individual to a relational perspective helps us understand why people are seeking vaccination in disguise. They want to save face within the very specific set of social ties that sociologists call “reference groups”—the neighborhoods, churches, workplaces, and friendship networks that help people obtain the income, information, companionship, mutual aid, and other resources they need to live. The price of access to those resources is conformity to group norms. That’s why nobody strives for the good opinion of everyone; most people primarily seek the approval of people in their own reference groups.

In Missouri and other red states, vaccine refusal on partisan grounds has become a defining marker of community affiliation. Acceptance within some circles is contingent on refusal to cooperate with the Biden administration’s public-health campaign. Getting vaccinated is a betrayal of that group norm, and those who get the shot can legitimately fear losing their job or incurring the wrath of their families and other reference groups.

Sociology solves mysteries like these by zeroing in on problematic relationships, not the decisions that individuals make in isolation. Many of the people refusing safe, effective vaccination amid a deadly pandemic are enmeshed in a very distinctive type of relationship that sociologists have been studying for more than 70 years: the con job. Con artists gain social or financial advantage by convincing their marks to believe highly dubious claims—and to block out all information to the contrary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2021 10:11PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 12:37AM

A friend called the certain political party a death cult. Where's the lie?

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 09:14AM

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
-Carl Sagan

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 11:15AM

Perfect.

Oddly, it's the bamboozled who see everyone else as bamboozled.
Like my Mormon family see me.

Those of us who were thrilled to find we had been lied to and were thrilled to move on. What a great thing to discover about yourself. Nothing wrong with having been wrong.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 16, 2021 11:25AM

The bamboozled have to see everyone else as the victims. It's obvious that at least one side has to be wrong (possibly both sides) and if it is not them, then it must be you.

That violates the first and greatest rule of bamboozlement: never even contemplate that you might be wrong.

Date: August 16, 2021 11:31AM

YES. And so the fabled testimony becomes the most valuable possession of all!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 04:29PM

And it needs to be reinforced at least monthly, to prevent the poor thing from getting lost.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 02:53PM

So who was actually conned The pandemic believer? The anti vaccine believer? The vaccine denier? The I don't give a crap believer?

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 03:07PM

The gold-breathing Annunaki believer.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 05:20PM

I am so sick of hearing "for religious reasons" when it comes anti-reality BS like not getting the vax. It implies that it is socially acceptable that a gullible mouth-breather, who believes outrageously stupid bullshit, gets to put lot of others at risk due to said, and we're all supposed to stand around saying "OK" to their demand. It is unethical, irresponsible, and totally illogical. And as a species we need to cut the crap.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 05:29PM

Wow. First it was Logged Out Today and now it's you, putting me to shame with your acerbic rhetoric and irony.

As EOD with his prepositional obsession would say, "to what is the world coming?"

Date: August 17, 2021 05:42PM

AMEN!

Exemptions for health reasons-- no problem. When I hear them say "health or religious exemptions", I get angry.

This religious rights crap is just a license to stomp on the rights others, and in this case, stomp on the lungs of others.

Posted by: oxymormon ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 05:59PM

AMEN AMEN AND AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN TO THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 09:52PM

Mike drop.

Another AMEN.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 17, 2021 11:24PM

Plus,WE HAVE TO PAY FOR IT! Now that they have worked hard digging the deep hole they are in and their hospitals are over maxed they have to have the horrible Federal Gov step in and step up to supplement their healthcare. Don't tell us to wear masks, get shots, not have super spreader events or anything else - we have our freeeeedumb! But you sure as hell better send us ventilators, healthcare workers and a butt ton of other equipment. Our tax dollars at work for a situation these idiots caused themselves.

And watching them egg each other on is truly disgusting. I thought that having employers require shots would give them a social out but at least in the case of an acquaintance on FB, who works for the state of Washington and is REQUIRED to get it, she is just going to lie. Good Christian dontchaknow. Is still recovering from Covid three months on. That she got at CHURCH. Her sister in a nursing home because of it and her husband DIED. The two of them got it at church too. God did a great job protecting them. And all her other good Christian friends cheering her on about telling a LIE and putting others at risk. Disgusting. I hope she gets busted.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 18, 2021 12:11AM

I just want to thank you for enriching my vocabulary, in which "butt ton" will now play a prominent role.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.