Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 04:47PM

...& ALL the while PLEASE keeping it "NON-POLITICAL" & on-topic of course!

Here's mine from South Park: "Dum dum dum dum dumb!"

Enquiring minds wanna know YOURS!

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 05:01PM

Imma get back to you...  I have to pull a couple of older volumes to peruse in order to pick out a favorite, from "The Collected Works of Judic West, Apprentice".

And I give you my humple(sic) assurance that I admire Judic like I admire ... myself!  (Praise indeed!)

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 05:31PM

“Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....”

Hunter S. Thompson

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 06:07PM

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:07AM

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 07:08PM

"To be, or not to be--that is the question." (Don't remember who said this.) (Shakspire?)

Nevertheless, if we are alive, and no matter where one lives, we are still among those that are the chosen who still fit the question.

Conngratulations. :)

Date: August 20, 2021 08:01PM

>
> "To be, or not to be-
> -that is the question."
> (Don't remember who said
> this.) (Shakspire?)

Yes, William J. Shakespeare . . .    (You'll NEVER guess what the J. stands for!!)

Here are notes I personally sat down and thoughtfully copied after a four-second Google search:

There are seven soliloquies by Hamlet in Shakespeare's play by the same name. The one whose first line you quoted is the fourth of the seven...

Hamlet's 1st soliloquy
    Hamlet refers to the world as an 'unweeded garden' in which rank and gross things grow in abundance, he bemoans the fact that he cannot commit suicide. He wishes that his physical self might cease to exist.

Hamlet's 2nd soliloquy
    Hamlet's second soliloquy occurs right after the ghost of the dead King, Hamlet's father, leaves, having charged Hamlet with the duty of taking revenge upon his, the dad's, murderer.  This soliloquy reveals an important secret to Hamlet and carries his rage and grief.  He is shocked, stunned, and in great grief upon realizing that his father was rather murdered by Hamlet's uncle.  Hamlet now refers to his mother as the "most pernicious woman" and to his uncle as a "villain", a "smiling damned villain".  At the end of the soliloquy, Hamlet swears to remember and obey the ghost.

Hamlets 3rd soliloquy
    In the soliloquy, Hamlet expresses anger at himself for not having yet done anything.  He compares himself to one of the visiting actors who, in acting out a scene, expresses emotion in a profound way, causing the audience to feel what he feels even though he has no real reason to do so.  In contrast, Hamlet cannot do the same — even though he has all the reasons in the world to do so.  The contrast makes it clear that Hamlet believes himself a coward.  Also, this soliloquy clearly displays Hamlet's introspection and resultant self-loathing caused by the admission of some bitter truths about himself, such as that he does not have the gumption to proceed with his revenge.

Hamlets 4th soliloquy
    The soliloquy expresses a direct opposition - "to be, or not to be". Hamlet is thinking about life and death and pondering a state of being versus a state of not being - being alive or being dead.

Hamlets 5th soliloquy
    Hamlet is about to go to his mother's chamber in response to her summons when he asks for a moment alone.  He delivers his short soliloquy in which he resolves to be brutally honest with her but not to lose control of himself.  He prepares himself for their conversation, vowing to treat her harshly but to refrain from harming her

Hamlets 6th soliloquy
    Hamlet wants Claudius to be punished for his crimes   He cannot kill him while he is praying because then he will be sent to heaven (3rd Nephi 4:20).  Hamlet holds off on killing him again.  Even though Claudius is not really praying Hamlet does not kill him.  This gives Hamlet yet another reason to hold off on avenging his father's death

Hamlets 7th soliloquy
    The information given to Hamlet about Fortanbras by the captain stimulates his thoughts of revenge and makes him scold himself for his inaction.  He realizes that thousands of soldiers are ready to die for a piece of worthless land, but he, Hamlet, who is equipped with an excellent motive to take revenge for his father's death, is still unable to do anything about it.

The Fourth Soliloquy:

“To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action.--Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd!”

Of the world's current population, less than .0003053% have read this all the way through with the intent to understand it.  There are more English majors who have NOT read and understood it than there are who have!  Would I make that up?

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 03:15PM

My goodness, I’ve never felt so rare.

Let’s get rarer…

Who is Hamlet addressing in his soliloquies?

Paradoxes and Oxymorons

This poem is concerned with language on a very plain level.
Look at it talking to you. You look out a window
Or pretend to fidget. You have it but you don’t have it.
You miss it, it misses you. You miss each other.

The poem is sad because it wants to be yours, and cannot.
What’s a plain level? It is that and other things,
Bringing a system of them into play. Play?
Well, actually, yes, but I consider play to be

A deeper outside thing, a dreamed role-pattern,
As in the division of grace these long August days
Without proof. Open-ended. And before you know it
It gets lost in the steam and chatter of typewriters.

It has been played once more. I think you exist only
To tease me into doing it, on your level, and then you aren’t there
Or have adopted a different attitude. And the poem
Has set me softly down beside you. The poem is you.

—John Ashbery—
—Shadow Train—

Human, Poem Unlimited

Posted by: Ben FrankFiend ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 07:12PM

Pay heed to the small expenses. A large ship can still sink with small leaks.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: August 20, 2021 08:27PM

William Faulkner, in an obituary
for Albert Camus:

When the door shut for him he had already written on this side of it that which every artist who also carries through life with him that one same foreknowledge and hatred of death is hoping to do: I was here.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:17AM

Bumper sticker ... "If I pass you on the right you're an idiot"

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:00PM

Love it.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 02:20AM

J Golden Kimball.

On speaking at funerals "I've given many a person a ticket to the celestial kingdom when I knew damn well they'd never make it half way."

On church leaders "There's two ways to be someone in the church. Relation and revelation. If I wasn't Heber Kimball's I'd never would amounted to a damn thing in the church."

On his death bed.

When asked to pass messages to loved ones on the other side.
"No, I can't do that. When I get to the other side I'll be too busy to look all over hell for you relatives."

Supposed nearly last words "guess I'll find out if everything I preached all these years is true."

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 10:38AM

My favorite quote is from Don Aslett, a Mormon. from Idaho, who has written several books on cleaning and decluttering.

Here it is: Don't love anyone that doesn't love you back.

I think he might have said "anything" instead of "anyone" but it applies to both things and people.

I think his point was, when it comes to decluttering, it doesn't matter how much you paid for it, or how long you have had it, or who gave it to you, if it is doing more harm than good in your life, time to get rid of it.

Same goes for toxic relationships. If you've done everything you can do to fix this relationship and it just can't be fixed, time to step back, and find something that does work.

I really like Don Aslett and his declutter books. I was a fan of him for YEARS before I figured out he was Mormon, altho the fact that he was from Idaho should have clued me in.

Date: August 23, 2021 11:00AM

"Fashion is what you adopt when you don't know who you are." Quentin Crisp

"As soon as I stepped out of my mother's womb, I knew I had made a mistake." Quentin Crisp

"If love means anything at all it means extending your hand to the unlovable." Quentin Crisp

Date: August 23, 2021 12:55PM

I am a huge Quentin Crisp fan. I think you must be too.

One of his book was entitled "How to be a virgin."

I think I'll read it one day.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 07:39PM

loislane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am a huge Quentin Crisp fan too.
>
> One of his book[s] was entitled "How to be a
> virgin."
>
> I think I'll read it one day.

I doubt it would help...
Still, it should be a great read

In the movie The Naked Civil Servant, featuring "Quentin Crisp", his artist frend says, "I think everything that happens to us is our fault, but that's not our fault"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 12:11PM

I detest this one.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

https://history.howstuffworks.com/historical-figures/voltaire.htm

"You believe things that are incomprehensible, inconsistent, impossible because we have commanded you to believe them; go then and do what is injust because we command it."

https://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/origins-warning-from-voltaire

And it is used to address people doing crazy, violent, hateful acts pushed to them from some unseen 'hand' of "we" as if they were ordered to do them. People will always been seen as crazy because it is in my opinion how people are. No human society is bereft of people it sees as crazy.

Voltaire and by association people who use this quote for when people do crazy things are placing some kind of responsibility on the current social order for these acts as if the people doing them were puppets. It sounds so arrogant and intellectual to throw out this quote as if it has any ground in reality when it is an absurdity itself. As if people were pulling other people's strings that made them believe something and are the real authors of their acts. It sounds as conspiracy crazy as the people who would use conspiracy crazy to justify those acts.

But it is such a great sound byte that it will be around for a long time. Thanks Voltaire. You are the original skeptic celebrity. The OG of celebrity thinkers.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 12:32PM

Much of the rest of the world disagrees with you, which is why it is such a popular quote. I suppose you would like it better if it were translated as "those who induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities."

Mormons and coffee is an absurdity. It trains one to follow orders, no matter how silly.

Yes, we still get to make our own choices, but advertising works. Next time you are stopped at a traffic signal, notice how many of the cars around you are either white or champagne color. That is the power of the herd. Twenty years ago, that was not the color of choice, and it is starting again not to be the color of choice (red and blue are ascendant now), but 5 to 10 years ago, white was the overwhelming choice.

Date: August 23, 2021 01:36PM

Trends is your defense of my reasons for disliking the quote? You convinced me that I should just get on board with you like the rest of the world and when I mean get on board I mean in the vehicle color most popular.

Date: August 23, 2021 01:38PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Much of the rest of the world disagrees with you,
> which is why it is such a popular quote.

I care why?

Oh, the first of many mega celebrities said it and it appealed to the masses. Got it.

Date: August 23, 2021 03:08PM

Not expecting you to care. You are obviously on a crusade against this perceived assault on moral philosophy. I just think it is a little quixotic.

Date: August 23, 2021 03:36PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Not expecting you to care.

Even if you are right about "much of the rest of the world" which I don't believe you are or this quote wouldn't have the appeal it does, you mention it to me for who knows why. I certainly don't.

> You are obviously on a
> crusade against this perceived assault on moral
> philosophy. I just think it is a little quixotic.

I am not and this is just spinning a narrative about me to suit your own opinions...in my opinion. And it is highly offensive to me...if you care.

I'm not going after windmills for my dislike of some of what Voltaire wrote nor am I on some crusade. I don't make blanket assumptions about you in this way.

I'll tend to my own garden not what grows in others.

Date: August 23, 2021 12:37PM

In real life, I assure you, there is no such thing as algebra.
Fran Lebowitz (b. Oct 27, 1950 CE)

I'll throw macaRomney a bone. :)

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 01:45PM

“ the key to success is sincerity. Once you learn to fake it, you’ve got it made”..... actual original source unknown, many claims.

Date: August 23, 2021 02:09PM

Since I gave up hope, I feel so much better.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 02:24PM

"Ability implies responsibility."

Meaning, if you can do something that needs doing, maybe you should do it.

Roy G Biv

Date: August 23, 2021 03:39PM

I can do lots of things I don't do. We are pretty interesting creatures that civilization beats down into square holes. It is amazing what we can do. Feeling responsible to do things just because of ability seems like a terrible idea to me.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 03:45PM

Its worked out very well for me, especially in my career. I've tossed that out in interviews and its been well received. It's how to get this done that need doing, by pitching in to do it, that's all.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 03:15PM

"In certain trying circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - attributed to Mark Twain.

Date: August 23, 2021 03:41PM

Profanities have at least as much beneficial affect on neurology as prayer in my opinion.

Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 03:48PM

Bumper Sticker: The Best Things in Life Aren't Things

Date: August 23, 2021 04:09PM

I love it. I need to remember it. This is a very important quote in my opinion. And I have no idea who originated it.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 04:47PM

Bumper Sticker: never try and teach a pig to sing...it'll waste your time and annoy the pig...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 04:49PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 05:18PM

“Give me solitude, sweet solitude,
But in my solitude
Give me still one friend to whom I may murmur
Solitude is sweet”

-Elbert Hubbard

Date: August 23, 2021 05:54PM

"You have to put mean people
in charge of charity because when
you put nice people in charge, they
always run out of money!

~~Judic West, Solicitor General at Large

"Of all the times I've died in
my prior lives, my favorite way was
to eat so much I exploded."

--Judic West, Magnificent Epicurean

"The difference between Success
and Failure can often be measured by
how much money you charge for a product
versus how much it costs to make it!"

--Judic West, pg. 43 of his magnum opus, Captain Obvious & the Pirates of Penzance

Date: August 23, 2021 07:14PM

“What you are seeing and what you are reading isn’t what’s happening.”

—Judic West, In All Sincerity, Kabul Sheet Music and Erotica, 2019 (or thereabouts)

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 07:49PM

When Quentin Crisp is at the Army to join, he is undergoing an army of interviews and questions and interrogations by untold recruiters, shrinks and psycologists, and' answering the question "Why do you want to join the army", replies, "well, anyone can get killed".

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 04:10PM

So said Captain James T. Kirk... "Two to beam up Scotty. No intelligent life here."

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 04:24PM

Thank you, Elderolddog, for cleaning up my mess of a quote (and poor spelling).

Polly

Date: August 24, 2021 08:48PM

I'm working on my "Be a Mensch" merit badge.

Date: August 24, 2021 09:23PM

In b4 EOD reproduces King Lear in its entirety.

Posted by: lisadee ( )
Date: August 24, 2021 10:40PM

I have no trouble with my enemies. I can take care of my enemies in a fight. But my friends, my goddamned friends, they're the ones who keep me walking the floor at nights!

Warren G. Harding⁰

Date: August 25, 2021 01:44AM

"They will never forgive us for the evil they have done to us"

Pronounced by a Jewish character in the film "Welcome in Austria" by Axel Corti about the rise of the Nazis in Austria.

This is my own translation, but it may be known in a different version in English. It was initially applied to the Jews in WW2 but, upon examination, also applies to most situations involving past oppression (slavery comes to mind). I find it devastating.

Date: August 25, 2021 04:06AM

Soft Machine Wrote:
> "They will never forgive us for the evil they have
> done to us"

I have long thought this is true of the church as well. My mission was a disaster, and many people were badly hurt. The church swept it under the rug and treated a lot of people as expendable. The bishops and stake presidents wanted nothing to do with us; they wanted us to go away.

In my formulation, the one group that the church can never forgive is its own victims.

Date: August 25, 2021 04:30AM

People dealing with their guilt by attacking their victims is much more widespread than one might think.

Date: August 25, 2021 04:42AM

I was naive enough to believe that the church would leave the 99 and seek to bring back the one--you know, like Jesus said.

Did I mention that I was naive?

Date: August 25, 2021 02:56PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Did I mention that I was naive?

Obviously you got that fixed. What did you take for it?

Date: August 25, 2021 04:25PM

Seeing how many times the church betrayed good people and realizing it was the pattern and not the exception, concluding that the average church leader could not pass an eight year old’s baptismal interview and didn’t care.

Something like that.

Date: August 25, 2021 05:57PM

There is an interesting narrative here that needs a longer treatise. Perhaps its own thread?

Date: August 25, 2021 10:05AM

What a deep deep look into humanity is that quote. Took my breath away, Tom.

Posted by: PratchettFan ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 08:19AM

In 'The Truth' [a discworld novel] Terry Pratchett describing the main character, writes:

"he now thought of prayer as a sophisticated way of pleading with thunderstorms.”

Date: August 25, 2021 03:30PM

I too am a Pratchett fan. Small Gods is a great take on reliogion as well.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 11:40AM

“Live each day as though it were your last day on Earth. Learn each day as though you will live forever.” Gandhi

“Be the change you want to see in the world.” Gandhi

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 06:41PM

A favorite film quote:

"Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"

Thomas More to Richard Rich after Rich perjures himself at More's trial. From the great movie "A Man for All Seasons".

Date: August 25, 2021 06:56PM

"I recommend getting out of Wales as soon as possible."

--Jonah, waking up on the shores of Babylon

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 07:33PM

Took me a moment but (chuckle) My dime falls in pennies sometimes.

Date: August 25, 2021 07:36PM

:)

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 07:56PM

"He who doesn't read has no advantage over he who can't"

~ Mark Twain

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.