Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:23PM

I did a search and didn't find a discussion on this which is surprising considering that Chad Daybell claimed to be the head of this church.

I had never heard of it. Does anyone else remember being taught about the CoftheF in church?

Has anyone read the book with the same title by Christiansen and Smith? I saw Erik Smith discussing his religious views on a you tube video, and he seemed to be pretty much in line with what I learned growing up.

Here's a little blurb from the BYU website.

https://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Church_of_the_Firstborn

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 01:52PM

My my, Ivan J Barrett - I was subjected to his nonsense in my D&C course at BYU.

I thought the LeBaron brothers thought they were head of the Church of the Firstborn too. Or the One Mighty and Strong, if that is something different.

I see all that as the Mormon equivalent of DC Marvel Comics superheroes. Unfortunately, the lunatic fringe of Mormondom are such cases of arrested development, that they continue to take those superhero fantasies seriously well after middle school.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 05:18PM

I had Ivan J. Barrett at BYU also! It was a church history class. Between him and Reed Benson's Book of Mormon class, I am kind of amazed I stayed in the church as long as I did.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 10:03AM

Ivan J Barrett was my family's home teacher for most of my young life. Nice guy. He had candy in his pockets sometimes for us many kids.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 02:29PM

>
> https://eom.byu.edu/index.php/Church_of_the_Firstborn
>

The last two paragraphs seem to portend the creation/existence of the Second Annoying!  Oh, if only I could join a secret club that made me special...

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 04:53AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2021 05:18PM

It was one of the few churches that came up during my web search for churches that either forbid or highly discourage vaccinations.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 23, 2021 10:11AM

Church of the Stillborn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2021 10:11AM by Dave the Atheist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.