Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:38AM

The ancient prophets just laid it down. They didn’t play games. Often what they said was not popular and the resulting consequences was no joy ride. Being a prophet in the old days was dangerous business and straight forward.

Modern prophets aren’t straight shooters. They have teams of lawyers and Jewish Public Relations experts out of New York. Things are decided in committee and usually the public statements read like they came from a Fortune 500 company. Nobody can get to a modern prophet. They have highly trained corporate styled security. Nothing like being a prophet of a corporation. You are secure, you only have to speak in secure settings with a captive audience of believers and you have no liability because you are a shareholder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: St Moroni ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 10:24AM

Wow you are right the Prophets today are only in it for the profits.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 10:27AM

You nailed it. Gutless, they are.

Cecil B. DeMille would have a very hard time finding enough material from Mormon God and Russ and his Gang to make another religious block-buster epoch feast for the silver screen from that boring mess of a prophet. Even their mean spirited bigotry is generic.

Just another Corporate Conglomerate bore. Russ and Wendy are no Samson and Delilah. More like Joan Crawford and the board of Pepsi Cola.

Your contrast of prophets though, makes me realize, that in the Bible, they weren't fighting for their God but for their people, their dignity, their freedom. God was only their mascot.

Go! Fight! Win!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 12:18PM

I can see Wendy as Nefertiti in a comedy version of the Ten Commandments. Russell would still be a prophet.

“Pharaoh, the Lord does not approve of your attire. I suggest consulting with your bishop regarding your urge to wear drag. Also, Jesus is very upset that you have put my people in bondage. That’s my job!”

Date: August 26, 2021 03:32AM

God makes a great mascot. Hitler even used it. The belt buckles on the soldier’s uniforms had Gott Mitt Uns written in a circle around a swastika. It translates to “God is with us” in English.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 01:09PM

I for one am rather glad that today's prophets are not like OT prophets.

Isaiah 20:3-4

3 And the Lord said, Like as my servant Isaiah hath walked naked and barefoot three years for a sign and wonder upon Egypt and upon Ethiopia;

4 So shall the king of Assyria lead away the Egyptians prisoners, and the Ethiopians captives, young and old, naked and barefoot, even with their buttocks uncovered, to the shame of Egypt.

A sign and a wonder indeed. Mormons - be careful what you wish for.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 01:23PM

I dunno. I like the idea of that kind of profeteering as long as its not me. Appealing is the thought of Oaks and Nelson wandering naked and barefoot for years desperate for a revelation -- as long as I don't have to see it up close.

Could be nice, though, if Russ and Wendy went on that show "Naked and Afraid". That's entertainment!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:59PM

Eating locus and honey instead of whatever it is they eat. Taking your vitamins wandering a desert would be hard.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 07:51PM

Lotus and honey sound pretty good to me.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 08:49PM

That’s what the polygamist said!!

Date: August 26, 2021 03:38AM

Opiates won't help you out in that department, boss.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:17PM

Maybe Oaks and Bednar will dismiss the PR department.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 06:00PM

Can you give a whole department a blessing as an apostle?

Date: August 26, 2021 03:39AM

Why not? You can bless a house, a country, a rain cloud, a football team, and even junk food. Why not a department store?

Date: August 26, 2021 03:42AM

Hinckley hired a Madison Avenue public relations firm to do the church’s PR. Nothing like a Mormon prophet hiring a Jewish owned firm to help him get his message out because he feels his own organization sucks at it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.