Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 10:53AM

Testimonies are security blankets and nothing more. Mormons cling to them desperately. The security they provide is that they give assurance that the "knower" of the testimony is a winner. Everybody loves a winner said Liza and she was right. So everybody wants to be one.

Mormons are like sea shells. You only hear the ocean if you put one to your ear. You listen closely to what Mormons are saying and there is an ocean of doubt between the "I knows". But please don't attempt to put a Mormon to your ear. That was just a metaphor.

My mother knows how I feel about Oaks as he was the president of the Y while the Electroshock Therapies were being so "graciously offered*" to the gay kids. When I brought this up she said that she knew that "Oaks was going to have a lot to answer for when he stood before God." Her tone was serious and grave and she meant it.

Now my mother is as extreme TBM as they come. Supports the Big 15 at every turn. (And they do have a lot twists and turn to support, don't they?) She stands in front of the television and raises her arm to the square when watching GC. So her utterance about Oaks shocked me.

Which brings me back to my point. Isn't what she said an admission that deep down, she knows that Oaks actions have not been inspired by God, that he is not following God. Or that she knows that God just can't seem to get things right. That her God is not the same yesterday, today, and forever? No wonder she needs such a towering faith.

I have never been able to get her admission out of my mind. But I see the sea shell effect with every Mormon I know. Their testimonies are completely dependent on the Double Standard.

*Blackmail, Coercion, Your future held to your throat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 11:25AM

I think your mom is like mine and might likely agree with the "Well they mean well" even when church leaders actions and words are downright mean and evil.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 11:47AM

If you put an oil can to your ear, you can hear the freeway.

Whatever happened to sustaining your church leaders? Your mom doesn’t seem very culty. Probably wouldn’t be a good North Korean. Might not cry when she sees a picture of Dear Leader.

My Dear Leader turned into Dear John. I just haven’t gotten around to writing the letter.

Date: August 25, 2021 11:49AM

The usual very clever humor from babs. Thanks.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 12:27PM

We all have our irrationalities, our contradictions. No matter how committed to Mormonism your mother may be, it sounds like she loves you.

I find that touching.

Date: August 25, 2021 01:41PM

You are saying *I* have irrationalities and contradictions? How very dare you!!!!!

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 01:21PM

Your mom doesn't know about the 2nd anointing, does she? In Oaks' mind, his 2A is his get out of jail free card for every sin & transgression he ever committed. Oaks doesn't think he's going to have to answer for anything.

Jesus: "About this electroshock thing —"

Oaks: "Hello, I got a Second Anointing! Ain't nuttin' you can do, Jesus!"

Jesus: "Woops, you're right. Looks like my hands are tied. Come on in." (mumbles "Asshole")

Date: August 25, 2021 01:31PM

Haha. Good take on it. S.A. As the Get Out of Jail Free Card.

Funny thing is I wonder if my mother knows about the S.A. and then if she knows my older brother has had it as he made it as obvious as he could without saying announcing it right out loud or erecting a billboard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.