Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: momgyver ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 01:17PM

When my husband and I were new in the church, we were not always clear on the "rules". One Sunday, we wanted to go perch fishing and were not sure whether or not perch fishing fell under the category of "work" on a Sunday. I called our bishop and explained the situation, to which he replied, "Well, I wouldn't". I told him I was surprised, that I didn't really consider it "work". He expained that we would be making other people work. I said, "How? We will just be casting our lines out into the water". He then told me that he had thought I was asking if we should go PURCHASING (sounds like 'perch fishing', but who uses that term in that way?) Anyway, we did end up going fishing.
I shudder when I think of how we allowed ourselves to be led like Lemmings.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 01:18PM

You certainly made the right decision :-D. Did you catch any perch?

Date: August 27, 2021 08:11PM

We actually DID catch perch - it was so much fun!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 01:27PM

I think your bishop realized mid-way through the conversation how stupid it was to consider perch fishing work, and saved face by claiming he thought you said purchasing, cuz, you are right. No one would use the word purchasing in that way.

Although, with my hearing these days . . .

I am so happy that Bishop Dad still thought it was okay to ride my horse up the crick on Sundays.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:14PM

To be fair, I wouldn’t say “perch fishing” either. Just plain “fishing” conveys all the relevant information.

Not that it matters now, but the rule is that you are not supposed to work (kitchen work excepted, isn’t that convenient?) and you are not supposed to do anything fun or interesting as a group that the neighbors can see.

So, board games, ok. Tv, ok. Backyard badminton, not ok. Softball or basketball game, definitely not ok.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:36PM

This I did not know.

I love badminton.

Is sinning without knowing you're sinning really sinning?

(What a laugh: Spellcheck keeps correcting 'sinning' to 'winning').

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:49PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 04:47PM

Or good mutton.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:54PM

Mutton for nuttin' and the sins for free.

Date: August 25, 2021 07:16PM

I stand in awe.

Date: August 25, 2021 07:17PM

But should it be "mutton for nothin' and your ribs for free?"

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 06:39PM

“Crick.” ……. …….. a shibboleth to love. ❤️

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 01:58PM

I grew up near "*Birchwood Creek State Park", but the smaller stream that ran by my house was always called "*Fallows Crick",
even though its official name was "*Fellows Creek".

I think if you asked my neighbors, they'd have told you that a crick was smaller than a creek.

Tyson

* Names of the bodies of water have been changed, but the vowel change in the Fallows/Fellows name is consistent with the actual pronunciation shift.

Date: August 26, 2021 02:00PM

These transformations are fascinating, aren't they?

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:46PM

Nightingale, in Wesleyan theology sin is defined as a willful disobedience to a known law of God. As in: I know this is a sin but I am going to do it anyway.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 04:38PM

I suppose the problem is who is interpreting what is a known law of God. From what I can tell, God hasn't been all that clear about it and needs theologists to decide details about sins.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 04:33PM

IMO the background attitude about this comes from old Protestant roots. Fun is bad. My Mormon upbringing projected to me that Sunday was a time to be docile in sort of an obsequious way to show righteousness.

If someone is doing anything not associated with worship on the Sabbath, they might be working or having fun!

You must have caught the Mormon bug strongly back then if you actually felt the need to police yourself by calling the bishop about it. Enunciation is not a routine word used by rank and file Mormons.

Date: August 27, 2021 08:12PM

Ohhhh I honestly shudder and shake my head at what a follower I was. "But that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:02PM

Church leaders always imposed the idea that if some activity you truly enjoyed, then it should be avoided all together on Sunday.

That pissed me to know end because I knew my Bishop really loved to talk and talk on Sundays. And he often kept Sacrament meeting (when it was the last meeting of the 3 hour block) beyond its 60 min mark. He loved to hear himself pontificate to no end.

Also, we had ward clerks who loved to "tinker" on the computer. They loved the fact that only they had the power to use their damn dot printer.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 03:06PM

Here in the PNW, lots of women have tattoos...

I've got to be VERY CAREFUL when I tell a woman that I LIKE YOUR TATS

because it might sound like I'm saying I LIKE YOUR TITS...

just sayin'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2021 03:07PM by GNPE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.