Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:43PM

I never thought I would read "erection" and "resurrection" in the same paragraph in a serious article.

"Entering with obvious relish the realm of Christian sexual hermeneutics, Steinberg relies on St. Augustine, who emphasized his surrender to and then escape from the “fleshpots of Carthage,” to argue that Christ’s erection was a singular way to demonstrate Christ’s chastity. Without the capacity to yield to lust, Christ’s triumph over carnal desire would have no human meaning. Unlike men after the fall of Adam, who fell victim to lust, Christ willed his erection; it was not an involuntary physiological event. By both willing and resisting it, he declared his victory over the stain of sin bequeathed to humanity by Adam and Eve, and over the death that their carnal weakness brought into the world. That, after all, is the significance of the resurrection."

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/pope-francis-and-the-naked-christ

And to further emphasis this point.

"To drive this point home, Steinberg had to prove that during the late Middle Ages and the Renaissance the word “resurrection” could be used as a double entendre, connoting both the divine event and the humble mortal fact of an erection."

And this gem.

"No children in actual life have been known to receive powerful kings shortly after their birth while smiling benignly and proudly displaying their genitals. It is not a medical fact that dying men experience an erection in the moment of their decease."

LOL! Christ had a heavy resurrection to bear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 02:58PM

John 5:19

"Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise."

That means Jesus *did* see god sitting on his throne with a huge woody, just like Facsimile 2! How could Brother Joseph have known? Back to church, everyone!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 03:03PM

I stand all amazed.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:50PM

At the chub Jesus offers me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.