Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:20PM

They'll just keep moving the goal posts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/08/25/fda-approval-vaccine-holdouts/

‘It’s not just one thing’
Public health experts had eagerly awaited the FDA’s action for months, with anticipation mounting in June after the Kaiser Family Foundation found that 31 percent of unvaccinated adults said they would be more likely to get vaccinated if the FDA granted full approval to one of the vaccines.

Mark Anthony Garcia, 49, of Ingleside, Tex., ponders new questions since the FDA’s approval. “If the vaccine’s that good, why are we having breakthroughs?” said Garcia, referencing reports of coronavirus cases among fully vaccinated Americans. “They’re blaming [the pandemic] on the unvaccinated, but the vaccinated are spreading it, too.”

Federal officials have sought for months to persuade holdouts like Brummett, McCann and Garcia, who are among the roughly 85 million still-unvaccinated eligible Americans — a largely entrenched population despite a range of incentives, political appeals and now mandates to get the shots. But hopes that many of those skeptics would be swayed by vaccine approval appear to have been unrealistic, according to interviews with 16 unvaccinated Americans — including six who said earlier this year that they would be more likely to get vaccinated if the FDA approved the shots.

The FDA’s approval “increased the likelihood” of getting vaccinated, said Derrick M., a 27-year-old who just left active-duty military service and like several spoke with The Washington Post on the condition of anonymity for fear he might be harassed. “But at this time, I’m still not planning to get it.”

Meanwhile, in Crazyland...

https://www.salon.com/2021/06/18/magnetic-vaccines-covid-19-conspiracy/

Tik Toker Brookiebaby888 usually posts humorous lifestyle videos to her 73,000 followers, but earlier this month she filmed herself doing a "magnet vaccine test." Standing in front of her camera, she explained to users that she just received her COVID-19 vaccine and wanted to see if a magnet would stick to her arm. Pressing the round magnet to her deltoid, she gasps in surprise when it barely sticks.

Brookiebaby888 is one of thousands who have done the "vaccine magnet test" on Tiktok, perpetuating the conspiracy theory that the COVID-19 vaccine includes an unidentified magnetic object — maybe a microchip — causing a side effect of becoming magnetic (which is not true). It's unclear if people like Brookiebaby888 are true anti-vaxxers, or just participating in yet another viral social media challenge with deleterious public health effects.

Recently, the conspiracy theory was popularized and brought to the mainstream when Sherri Tenpenny, a confidant and adviser to MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell and self described anti-vaxxer, spoke about it at a hearing held by a health committee in the Ohio state legislature.

"I'm sure you've seen the pictures all over the Internet of people who have had these shots and now they're magnetized," Tenpenny said. "They can put a key on their forehead. It sticks. They can put spoons and forks all over them and they can stick, because now we think that there's a metal piece to that."

Why accept reality when Crazyland is so much fun?
Enjoy It -- while you can still breathe without a ventilator...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:42PM

One of the many things stupid conspiracy theorists don't understand is that keys and forks and spoons aren't magnetized. They won't stick.

"In their natural states, metals such as aluminum, brass, copper, gold, lead and silver don't attract magnets because they are weak metals. However, you can add properties such as iron or steel to the weak metals to make them stronger. Adding even a small quantity of iron to a metal such as silver makes it magnetic. You may think this would make stainless steel magnetic because it contains iron, a magnetic metal, but when nickel is added during the manufacturing process, the physical structure is changed, creating a nonmagnetic form of stainless steel called austenitic stainless steel."

https://sciencing.com/kinds-do-not-stick-magnets-6832309.html

A stupid nurse tried to demonstrate key-sticking at the Ohio hearing. It did not go as planned.

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2379716,2379998#msg-2379998

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 05:51PM

and others to keep from getting ill. I don't know what works and what doesn't, but I'm willing to try.

And I walk by my refrigerator covered in magnets all the time and nothing has popped off and stuck to me.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 06:25PM

Wait till you get the booster.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 01:58AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wait till you get the booster.

:D

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 02:44AM

cl2notloggedin Wrote:
-------------------------------------
> And I walk by my refrigerator covered in magnets
> all the time and nothing has popped off and stuck
> to me.

I read this earlier and I'm still laughing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 06:24PM

We knew that from the start, did we not? It's never been about facts or science. It's not even about health.

People who have received with equanimity any number of vaccines from MMR and tetanus to Polio and the common flu, decided early on that the COVID vaccines were a matter of religious and/or political faith--and faith is impervious to reason. We were thus told that the vaccine was experimental until it received emergency authorization, then that it didn't have regular authorization, and now that we won't know the truth for many years. Ultimately standards are nothing more than stage props to be moved around between acts.

People tried bleach, then hydroxychloriquine, and now horse medications. Then we were told that the disease itself confers strong immunity although that meant overlooking long-haul COVID and, oh yes, hundreds of thousands of deaths--or should we call those "failed immunizations?" Now we are told that the COVID vaccines aren't any good because they require boosters and we all know that effective vaccines only need to be used once--except for the flu, of course, and some hepatitis vaccines, and the measles/shingles one, and a bunch of others.

The willful ignorance and imperviousness to facts is extra-rational; it cares not for evidence; is emotional, even religious. And who should be blamed? The prophet of this self-destructive cult, his acolytes, and of course the lemmings who gleefully leap from the cliffs of reality. Facts won't affect this cult. Time and creeping boredom might, but the goalposts that slide from one place to another like Joseph Smith's buried treasures render the cultic doctrine immune to logic and demonstrated facts.

It is the immunity that kills.

Date: August 25, 2021 07:44PM

Even I'm not surprised and I have an almost immutable expectation that people will always be logical. Or failing that, consistent. You can be wrong, but at least be consistent about it. If not, that's when my brain explodes.

I'm just in the middle of cleaning up a big mess here. :/

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 02:01AM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even I'm not surprised and I have an almost
> immutable expectation that people will always be
> logical. Or failing that, consistent. You can be
> wrong, but at least be consistent about it. If
> not, that's when my brain explodes.
>
> I'm just in the middle of cleaning up a big mess
> here. :/

Sorry for the cleanup necessity, Nightingale.

I hope it went as well as was possible.

Date: August 26, 2021 02:48AM

It was an obscure joke, Tevai. My exploding brain made the mess. :)

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 08:23PM

I've suspected for a while that the reasons people give for not getting vaccinated are just BS cover for their real reasons, which have nothing to do with the vaccines. So their goal posts will keep moving.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 25, 2021 08:42PM

It reminds me of all the predictions of end days that never happen or Jesus coming so they keep making up a new date to kick the can down the road.

They need their emotional conclusion to be their truth and they will do whatever they need to make the facts irrelevant.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 01:36PM

Like congress always kicking the can to the next session.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.