Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 07:48AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2021 08:19AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: August 31, 2021 10:39AM

I must confess though . . . I am really tired of the word "truth" these days. I like "What Is" now as truth has suffered too much identity theft to be viable any more and poor old truth is basically on life support.

My first job in the profession that I am still professing, I worked for a company, like a church we know, that got just enough right to keep going, but, a lot that was pretty bad as well that worked like a thorn in the side. Because of this, when I left and started my own company, I knew exactly what *not* to do which was just as important as knowing what to do.

You can learn a lot from lies. They are valuable.

I kept my eyes and ears open and found better ways. I say eyes and ears because we often listen to our conceitedly "incredibly wise selves" while ignoring our primary senses which are the primary sources of information that will let you thrive and in some cases keep you alive.

The brain is only as accurate as a computer. What goes in is what comes out.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 02:41AM

Well, since we can't get out of this world of lies, we will have to fidget about the truth

Just what life's about

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 03:02AM

The victor writes the truth.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 03:14AM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 03:30AM

No. Like reality and facts, truth is that which remains when the lies fall away.

Truth is not in the eye of the beholder. As someone important once said, "you will know the truth and the truth will set you free," a sentence that is important for two reasons. First, the word "truth" is singular and not plural. The speaker did not admit the possibility of multiple truths.

Second, the implied object from which people must be set free was falsehood. No one is entitled to her own truth, only to her own delusion, and the great teacher offered to liberate her therefrom. But he well knew that many if not most people will prefer their comfortable delusions to the incandescent light of truth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2021 03:34AM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 08:51AM

The "Everybody" in the title refers, naturally, to egos, each of which has its own situatedness, position (and so perspective), and unique psychological filters. Thus egos cannot know "the truth," only their personal distortions.

There is enough consensual reality among egos for (most of them at least) to agree on many physical 'truths' about the apparently external world, and they mistakenly label these as 'objective reality.' These are not objective, nor are they some sort of unified truth. The hallucinations held interpersonally by large groups 0f egos do not constitute that transegoic "Truth."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 03:56PM

Richard Foxe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . consensual reality . . . mistakenly label[ed as]
> 'objective reality.' These are not objective, nor are they
> some sort of unified truth.

That is my point.

---------------------
> The hallucinations
> held interpersonally by large groups 0f egos do
> not constitute that transegoic "Truth."

Exactly. Whether individual or collective, "hallucinations" or "delusions" "do not constitute. . . truth."

--------------------
What is interesting is a movement coming to prominence whose advocates tout themselves as dedicated to facts and hostile to cultural relativism but then, battered senseless by the onslaught of factual reality, are forced stumbling backwards into a relativistic position. At some point all the talk of 'my truth" begins to sound like an episode of Oprah.

Objective truth ultimately triumphs. You can jump high into the air for a couple of seconds but soon gravity wins and you break your ankle. That injury summarizes much of the human experience. Between now and the point at which truth prevails, people can in the name of their idiosyncratic "realities" do immense harm to one another and themselves.

It is in the gap between objective truth and relativistic truth that the demons of destruction reside.

Date: September 01, 2021 10:30AM

Oh please.

One's own personal, customized, interpretation of the truth is a far cry from truth standing solo, unclothed, and bare on its own.

I am so tired of made-to-order bespoke truth!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 10:59AM

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

No seriously, why was language invented if not to lie? Maybe language was the forbidden fruit. So the guy in the black apron runs the church.

Where your heart is set, there is your treasure. If you value actual truth, your Mormon world goes kaboom.

Date: September 01, 2021 11:08AM

Nice.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 12:08PM

OTOH, conspiracy theorists believe that vast groups of people are successfully engaged in a coordinated lie. Health care workers are lying about the dangers of covid. They are lying about the safety of the vaccines. Climatologists are lying about the climate, and so on ad infinitum.

Lies and coverups are difficult to pull off. The larger the group involved, the more difficult it is. For example, there is zero probability that NASA faked the moon landing, and nobody inside NASA figured out the fraud and blew the whistle, or nobody outside NASA figured out the deception either. Zero. Probability. The moon landing happened.

I use the moon landing as a joke example, but there are still people who actually believe it was faked, Joe Rogan among them.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 02:04PM

Most people can't handle it. I'm with the most. Facts are more digestible bits of it.

Date: September 01, 2021 02:16PM

So many people's "truths" come with more "riders" than a congressional bill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.