Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 09:28PM

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-rogan-says-he-has-covid-taking-horse-dewormer-ivermectin-2021-9

"Joe Rogan says he has COVID-19 and is taking ivermectin, a horse dewormer that the CDC is warning people not to take

UFC commentator and 'The Joe Rogan Experience' podcast host Joe Rogan shared on Instagram on Wednesday that he tested positive for COVID-19.

On Instagram Live he told his followers that after several days of feeling feverish and exhausted, he tested positive.

"We immediately threw the kitchen sink at it," he said in the video. "Monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone." He claimed that after three days, he felt rejuvenated.

One of those drugs, ivermectin, is a horse dewormer that the CDC issued an advisory against using the drug to treat COVID-19. The dewormer is not a cure and can be toxic to humans in large doses.

In past months, Rogan has pushed COVID-19 misinformation and invited anti-vaxxers onto his podcast. In April, after facing backlash for telling healthy people in their twenties not to get the vaccine, he said, "I'm not a doctor," in a clip of his show. "I'm a f---ing moron."

Spotify, which has a roughly $100 million dollar exclusive deal with Rogan, could not immediately be reached for comment."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 10:00PM

Serves him right. Tots and pears Rogan.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 10:10PM

Date: September 01, 2021 11:47PM

I was talking to some friends of mine who are naturopaths, they said Ivermectin works (the same day the FDA said, there is no evidence Ivermectin is effective ay treating Covid 19, don't take it. You're not a horse.)

They said that most naturopaths in our area are also anti-vaxers.

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous, if people were not endangering the rest of us because they want to listen to con men and f---ing morons who masquerade as the "Intellectual Dark Web"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 12:20AM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 12:07AM

Take him to the vet.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 06:34AM

You know there is Ivermectin for humans as well. It’s a drug used to treat parasites. Maybe the church will leave people alone if they take Ivermectin.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 10:24AM

Maybe this is the reverse of the WoW tobacco? Humans should smoke it?

Date: September 02, 2021 03:21PM

They used to use tobacco to worm animals in the old days. Give them a plug and the nicotine kills the worms.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 08:25AM

Except this is a virus. Not ringworm.

Date: September 02, 2021 10:33AM

Headline : "FDA warns Americans not to use Ivermectin (Horse Deworming Medication) to prevent COVID-19 infection"

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 12:06PM

2 big wig FDA execs plan to exit as both part of virology.

Apparently politics is getting in the way of science and neutering FDA and other agencies are undermining decision making.

Be interesting to hear what they have to say in October after their official exit date passes.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 01:56PM

I posted a reference to the article buy it went "missing"

Just search "two fda resign"

NYP and others covered the topic.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 02:01PM

You realize, I’m sure, that their resignations are over booster shots and have nothing to do with Ivermectin?

Date: September 02, 2021 03:27PM

There has been a revolving door between the big pharmaceutical companies (especially Pfizer) and the FDA for years. Also big pharma is the biggest advertiser in the media. Not good for a regulatory agency that is supposed to assure products where so much money can be made are safe.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 03:35PM

Those aren't good reasons to ignore science.

If someone doesn't want to be vaccinated against a potentially deadly virus, fine. But how does taking a horse medicine, off-label obviously, make any sense? How does a fixation about pharma's jiggery-pokery prompt a person to consume a potentially dangerous product that hasn't been prescribed for them, for a condition they may or may not even believe in?

Date: September 02, 2021 03:42PM

Date: September 02, 2021 03:53PM

Yes, but it's ten years old and discusses only the drug's use on parasites. There is nothing in the article about viral diseases: the words "virus" and "viral" don't even appear. So it has absolutely nothing to say about Ivermectin's utility against COVID-19, which wouldn't exist in humans for another nine years.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 04:43PM

If you were properly & popularly inspired, you'd know to read between the lines, and you wouldn't be the shrill and faithless harpy you are, using a disciplined examination of offered facts to gauge their utility, logic, and verifiableness (if that's a word...).

Oh, how could you be such a disappointment, Gladys?!

Date: September 02, 2021 04:58PM

Judic Priest, you are harsh.

Date: September 02, 2021 05:17PM

That was awesome, EB!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 05:54PM

Not fair! You're not supposed to actually read the article!

Date: September 02, 2021 05:57PM

I know, I know. I'm Banquo's Ghost at conspiracy parties.

Hardly ever get invited anymore. . .

Date: September 02, 2021 06:30PM

I said it was a good article on Ivermectin. Did I say it was a cure for COVID? The article describes the development history of the drug and how helpful it has been in treating parasitical diseases in both animals and humans.

There is some disinformation going around that Ivermectin isn’t for human use and it’s dangerous. Both are false.

Date: September 02, 2021 06:59PM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did I
> say it was a cure for COVID?

No, but you put it in a thread on COVID which implies that it is relevant to that topic.

-----------------
> There is some disinformation going around that
> Ivermectin isn’t for human use and it’s
> dangerous. Both are false.

No, Ivermectin is quite dangerous. People who've taken it are clogging up emergency rooms across the country and in fact around the world. That's why the FDA, the CDC, the NIH, and the AMA are all against its use for COVID.

Date: September 02, 2021 09:52PM

And here I thought people intelligent enough to find their way out of MORmONism were smart enough to follow the FDA’s guidelines and recommendations on taking drugs that are responsible for 70% of calls to Poison Control Centers in MS (#50 state in education).

Posted by: Homer Simpson ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 04:14PM

Curious,

Where can I find valid information on people clogging up emergency rooms?

Thanks ahead of time.

Date: September 03, 2021 04:36PM

From CBC, July 14:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-ers-on-verge-of-breakdown-1.6099487

"A growing number of emergency rooms in Quebec are struggling to care for patients as hospitals deal with severe staffing shortages caused by nurses fed up with pandemic working conditions.

"Across the province, several ERs have been forced to curtail their opening hours, doctors are warning about the potential for medical errors and patients are facing longer wait times.

"Doctors working for the CIUSSS de l'Est-de-l'Île-de-Montréal say beleaguered hospital ERs in Montreal's east end are on the brink of collapse. They warned of a possible closure of services in an open letter addressed to the Ministry of Health on Monday.

"We see the situation is getting worse and worse over time, and we're on the verge of a breakdown," said Dr. Bernard Mathieu, an emergency physician at Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital, who penned the letter."

From CBC, September 2:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/paul-olszynski-emergency-room-doctor-hospital-covid-19-hospital-burnout-saskatchewan-criss-1.6161274

"Dr. Paul Olszynski has been working in Saskatoon emergency rooms for 14 years and he's never seen the system under as much strain as it is right now under the fourth wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"There's a chance of a bad outcome if we don't do something now," he said.

"On Wednesday, Saskatchewan's Ministry of Health reported 321 new cases of COVID-19 and four more deaths from the disease.

"There are 134 infected people in hospital across the province, including 30 people under intensive care — the highest number of concurrent ICU patients since early May during the pandemic's third wave.

"Unequivocally, we are under significant strain," he said, noting that it's a combination of non-COVID and COVID patients that's causing so much pressure, resulting in staff burnout.

"People just unable to pick up shifts, take on more shifts, and in some cases, people pulling back a little bit because they don't feel like they're working in a safe environment or don't think they can provide the care that they think they should be able to," Olsynzski said.

"Then there's the added challenge of a virus running "completely unchecked" among about 300,000 unvaccinated people, Olsynzski said.

"That's essentially like unleashing the virus on all of Saskatoon."

"...Olszynski began by outlining how he treats a wide spectrum of COVID-19 patients: from people who are only showing mild symptoms but come to emergency rooms anxious about it, to "people really at a critical stage of illness presenting after maybe being home sick for some time and actually needing immediate lifesaving care."

-----

There are scads of similar articles detailing the stress placed on ER and ICU units as well as on the medical and nursing and other staff members.

(If you think the actual case numbers don't sound overwhelming, they're from a moment in time but they indicate a steady trend of increasing numbers, plus compared to the average numbers prior to COVID they're often much higher).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 04:44PM by Nightingale.

Date: September 03, 2021 04:42PM

Google is your friend, my friend.

Date: September 05, 2021 04:10PM

It's a lot easier than the old-fashioned way, that's certain.

Posted by: Homer Simpson ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 01:41AM

FYI on the Oklahoma story...

https://nhssequoyah.com/

Date: September 05, 2021 04:31PM

That link just takes me to a title page. Not sure which article or ?? it's referring to?

Date: September 05, 2021 04:36PM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 12:22AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 12:23AM by caffiend.

Date: September 02, 2021 04:38PM

The article is in a biological sciences journal and could be hard slogging for some people.

As Lot's Wife indicates, a 10-yr old science article may be interesting and even helpful but it's always best to search for the most recent updates on any topic related to science and medicine.

I hope that anyone who reads this or similar articles will take the words in context, and not as being literally applicable to other situations.

For instance, the article begins by stating: "...ivermectin ... has had an immeasurably beneficial impact in improving the lives and welfare of billions of people throughout the world."

If one reads that sentence in isolation and seeks to apply it broadly they would be misinterpreting the article's intent.

The bottom line is that, as LW states (and many have done multiple times over in other posts recently) ivermectin is an anti-parasitic agent as in it is effective in treating human (and animal) diseases caused by parasites. The first principle in pharmacology is surely to ensure that the recommended substance is effective for the condition it is intended to treat. Viruses are treated by anti-viral medication. Parasites are treated by anti-parasitic medication. And so on.

The article states that ivermectin is a "wonder drug". Yes, for the uses for which it is formulated. Hopefully, nobody reads just that sentence and extrapolates it to mean that it will treat any malady that arises.

It's called a "wonder drug" for tropical diseases such as Onchocerciasis (river blindness), intestinal worms (parasites), lice, scabies, elephantiasis and parasitic skin diseases, conditions that previously plagued underprivileged communities throughout the tropics, as the article says, causing blindness, "significant morbidity" (illness) and even death. Yes, a substance found to be of use in all these conditions is a wonder drug to scientists, medics and the afflicted populations alike.

The basic principle of pharmaceuticals is that each one is formulated at precise dosages for specific conditions and should only be used if prescribed by a qualified clinician for a specific person.

It is risky in the extreme to take a phrase or sentence or comment about a medication out of context and/or to apply it to a different situation than the specific one being discussed. As with this article that refers to ivermectin as a "wonder drug". Sure, if you suffer from river blindness. Anything that could preserve your sight would be a miracle. If you have parasites in your intestines, sure, go for it. Another miracle once you're cured.

Key principle: Anti-parasitic medications can kill parasites. Anti-viral medications can kill viruses.

But never the twain shall meet as Kipling would say.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 04:40PM by Nightingale.

Date: September 02, 2021 04:59PM

Anti-Mormon medicating doesn't kill Mormons.

Posted by: St Moroni ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 05:34PM

I took Ivermectin and it works

Date: September 02, 2021 05:57PM

Parasite free since 421 CE

Posted by: anon 4 this joke ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 06:08PM

So much for the neigh-sayers.

Date: September 03, 2021 01:10AM

Tots and pears

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 06:14AM

Maybe they should all start eating grass. I know when my cat has gotten worms, it's because he's been nibbling on grass.

Date: September 03, 2021 09:01AM

SC a few months ago posted a link to a long article on Joe R. The article pointed out that he really does think that the moon landing was faked. That’s where I decided this clown is not a serious person.

His promotion of Ivermectin cements that conclusion.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:25AM

Ditto that.

When people use Joe R. to support their opinions, that tells me a lot.

Date: September 03, 2021 10:16AM

I don’t use him to support my opinions, I think he is a fncking moron meat head who is typically high AF, but he has great conversations on his podcast, with interesting people (Elon Musk, Sam Harris, Roger Penrose,….) Not that I agree with all of his guests, he also has interviewed complete a-holes like Charles Murray, Candice Owens and Brett Weinstein. But even they are an interesting study of how wrong people can be and still call themselves ‘intellectuals of the dark web’.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 12:42PM

From the NewsThump site (disclosure: which I support ;-):

Red pill actually just horse dewormer, admits Morpheus

The Red Pill – which Morpheus claimed would open Thomas ‘Neo’ Anderson’s eyes to the real world – is just a generic horse dewormer that he bought off the internet, the black-clad guru admitted today.

Morpheus attached an almost mystically powerful relevance to the drug, which he told Neo that taking would be a genuinely eye-opening experience – a claim which was true as far as it went, just not in the way everyone thought.

Since Neo took the pill many thousands of others also claim to have taken it, which they believed would help them overcome their manifold personal shortcomings after seeing someone talking about it on Twitter.

“When I said you’ll see how deep the rabbit hole goes I was basically referring to your butt,” Morpheus told us.

“You’d be amazed how much stuff is up there when it really decides to go for it, and believe me if you take the red pill it’ll really decide to go for it.

“I know I attach great mystical significance to the Red Pill, but you can get them for basically ten bucks for a hundred from any friendly veterinarians.”

However, many commentators have disputed Morpheus’ claim, saying that the red pill cannot be dewormer as pretty much everyone who claims to have taken it is still completely full of shit.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 01:38PM

Oklahoma back in the news:

"Oklahoma's ERs are so backed up with people overdosing on ivermectin that gunshot victims are having to wait to be treated, a doctor says"

https://www.insider.com/oklahomas-emergency-rooms-are-clogged-with-people-overdosing-on-ivermectin-2021-9

----

In wholly unrelated news, Oklahoma ranchers report an epidemic of horses butt-scooting across their pastures. The ranchers are mystified as to the cause.

Date: September 05, 2021 12:55AM

https://www.facebook.com/JoeRoganEXP/photos/a.1110530815640669/5036056073088104/?__cft__[0]=AZXi_PWLKOZdOyqdCwAZRgPeKQPbPZkI-8AR7buUuRBzujyLdjgJlIicxlV6D-wzSqqKOSyogHaKkPLKh8t4nI_H5FuacZGbLVsCRlnhExMvKT_YP1K5mpoeAJWMgxSwMhNXdbqZBAr2KK5nskWbGyTlFoEz8562zl6_GIhb4SYIYU53g9tmCjyQ3MugjxYlDIY&__tn__=EH-R

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 12:56AM by schrodingerscat.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 04:00PM

Before this, I considered Joe Rogan to be a soup sandwich. Now, I consider him a cream of mushroom hoagie.

Date: September 05, 2021 04:07PM

LOL, ookami.

Before this, I'd never even heard of Joe Rogan. Had to look him up.

Date: September 06, 2021 12:25AM

ussie Smollett, the Duke Lacrosse "rape party," Rolling Stone blew it...

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/09/rolling-stone-gathers-moss-again.php

Date: September 06, 2021 12:57AM

Good catch. A lot of sources relied on that doctor's misstatements in their own reporting.

I note, however, that the FDA is reporting a five-fold increase in emergency calls to poison control centers because of Ivermectin. It appears that McElyea dramatically overstated what is still a significant strain on the healthcare system.

Date: September 06, 2021 01:19AM

Date: September 06, 2021 01:41AM

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:22PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good catch. A lot of sources relied on that
> doctor's misstatements in their own reporting.
>
> I note, however, that the FDA is reporting a
> five-fold increase in emergency calls to poison
> control centers because of Ivermectin. It appears
> that McElyea dramatically overstated what is still
> a significant strain on the healthcare system.

Is that a five-fold increase in *total* emergency calls to poison control centers or just in emergency calls related to Ivermectin misuse?

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 11:11AM

And Rolling Stone has acknowledged it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/gunshot-victims-horse-dewormer-ivermectin-oklahoma-hospitals-covid-1220608/

That's something McElyea has to answer for. I hope he is grilled about what he said. Unless he can come up with something, his own credibility is shot.

Nevertheless, something is going on in Oklahoma, unless these people are also misstating or lying:

The President of the Oklahoma Hospital Association
The President of the Oklahoma State Medical Association
The Chairman of the Department of Medical Informatics at the OU School of Community Medicine

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/watch-now-this-is-not-just-covid-domino-effect-backs-up-oklahoma-hospitals-with-no/article_20c0d850-0a62-11ec-a376-e7df03dd09bf.html

"State's hospital capacity data shows ICU beds available while several Oklahoma City-area hospitals publicly say they have none"

https://tulsaworld.com/news/state-and-regional/states-hospital-capacity-data-shows-icu-beds-available-while-several-oklahoma-city-area-hospitals-publicly/article_5bbeba86-0c00-11ec-bda4-373b16892ec4.html

Posted by: skeptic_9999 ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 11:06AM

Although there is currently no evidence that this horse medication actually does anything (other than maybe sicken the person taking it), let's remember that sometimes meds are in fact found to work--for some people, in some situations.

So in a sense we should be grateful to these folks for volunteering to be guinea pigs!

Please, no one mistake what I am saying--I believe everyone should get vaccinated, but at the same time, it is nice to have experimental subjects.

Date: September 06, 2021 12:21PM

Except that this is not a controlled study, so:

we don't know how many people who took Ivermectin actually had covid

we don't know how those who took it to prevent covid compared to people who didn't, with respect to the infection rate of the two groups

we don't know how many people who took it and recovered from covid compare to those who did not take it and recovered.

etc.

All we really know is who got sick enough to require hospitalization. That's useful for determining the number of idiots per capita, but it really doesn't tell you a thing about whether the drug has any effect on covid.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:13PM

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 12:49PM

I'm all for discovery drug development under certain types of medical supervision.

The crazy thing about all this to me is that many of the same people who are taking the anti-parasitic drugs are the ones who were bitching that the vaccine hadn't completed the last data review signoff for approval from the FDA.

So, they'll take something not recommended for COVID by the CDC and FDA while using incomplete approval that as an excuse not to take the vaccine, when the vaccine has been PROVEN to be safe and effective.

Also, they will pay money for a less effective fad treatment when they can get the vaccine for no charge.

The inconsistency makes no sense to me.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 02:00PM

Anti-parasite drugs even the ones made for humans, are not going to work on viruses, which Covid 19 is.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.