Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 08:50PM

SCOTUS just upheld TX ban on abortions after 6 weeks.
How long till UT see’s Texas’s hand and raises them a couple weeks and makes it 4 weeks!?!?
No exceptions, rape, incest, none of that. No penalties for Dads!
TX put out a $10k Bounty on abortions after 6 weeks. And $10k reward money for reporting Mothers and their conspirators.
How long till UT makes it $100k?
Hell with LDS Inc’s money they could make it. A $1billion bounty and still have $99 billion in the bank!
No penalties on Fathers!
So a Texan could rape his underage daughter, wait 6 weeks, let her go get an abortion, turn her in, collect $10k, tax free, and have his daughter, her Dr and Uber driver fined and jailed.
A state law Joseph Smith would love and Warren Jeffs wouldn’t be in jail!
How long till UT and every other backwards state in the Bible Belt raises TX and does one better?
SCOTUS just gave them all the AOK!
FnCK YEAH ‘Merica!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 09:46PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 09:06PM

The 5th circuit judge over texas is a conservative wackdoodle. The one for Utah not so much.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 09:24PM

Sadly, it's the same supreme court in both cases.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 09:34PM

Republicans of Gilead.

Under their eye.

Date: September 02, 2021 09:41PM

Anonymous Muser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Republicans of Gilead.
>
> Under their eye.

Exactly!
If you liked A Handmaids Tale you’re gonna LOVE the New America, One Nation under Fire!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 09:43PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: September 02, 2021 09:47PM

Maybe TX will set Warren Jeffs free now!

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 10:19PM

The stunning thing about the Texas law that was upheld was that it allows for private citizens to charge each other for the offense of even considering abortion. As one law professor noted on NPR's "All Things Considered," this evening, this is Texas' version of the East German staci, neighbor informing on neighbor, family member taking legal aim at other family members. Everybody becomes an informer on everybody else. Just watch the hatred begin to spew!

But, of course, most of you probably know all about this kind of gossip and backbiting against each other. I mean, for as long as I've been reading and writing on this forum, I've read plenty of posts about the gossiping, backbiting, and one-upmanship among members of your former church. And yes! SC's point about Utah trying to do Texas one better here may not be that far from the truth.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 01:52AM

Maybe Texas should consult BYU's Honor Code Office for ideas.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 10:35PM

Utah will not try to do Texas one better. Exact copy will suffice.

The "inform on your neighbor, win $10,000" is chilling. I would have thought the SC would stay the law simply because of that. That they did not is even more chilling.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 10:49PM

I think the law is great.

Abortion is still legal in TX but now the timer is modified to go kill off the baby if the mother doesn't want it.

Population growth will increase and maybe people will finally start using more protection if they don't want unintended consequences.

With there be so many laws I don't know how this one mixes in teh case of rape / aggressive crimes and molestation cases.

Lots not kids ourselves though, people were killing off their babies as the birth control more so than those other violent and criminal incidents of unwanted babies by rapists.

I expect to see a bunch of crying and nashing of teeth over nothing. If you want to kill your baby in Texas you can still do it but get to the clinic fast before 6 weeks.

If you had a drunkin hookup from the night club you better check 3 weeks later if any chemicals in the body changed.

Honestly, if the laws said 8 weeks or 12 weeks they same hollywood elites and folks would complain about that.

I think a lot of cars are going to get paid off by those hoping to rat out the pregnant mamas that don't have a belly anymore.

$10K a pop could afford that new $40k truck.

Take off to a neighbor state if it's an issue.

I'd like to see a lot of states implement this citizen free for all to sue the abortion clinics.

Baby organ havesting demand in Texas just when sideways.

Date: September 02, 2021 11:30PM

Phazer Wrote:
> Honestly, if the laws said 8 weeks or 12 weeks
> they same hollywood elites and folks would
> complain about that.

Ya think?

Would it surprise you to learn that the limit set by Roe is 12 weeks? I don’t hear a lot of “Hollywood elites” complaining about that.

Date: September 03, 2021 08:34AM

Varies by states. There is a very Darkside to the abortion industry and it has been exposed many times but science prevails in their demand for minority babies.

At least now the TX babies are as easy to get and operations ramp up in neighbor states. The game and purpose remains the same.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 10:53PM

Activists planning to attend the "My Body My Choice" rally are reminded to have their Covid passport papers or wrist band with them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 11:14PM

So much for respecting precedent. What other prior SCOTUS decisions will they throw out?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2021 11:16PM by summer.

Date: September 02, 2021 11:39PM

It only took a civil war (750,000 deaths) and the 14th Amendment to bury Dred Scott (the decision, not the man).

Not-so-fun-fact: That war accounted for 2.5% of the US population at the time (North and South). Prorated to current US population, that would be 7,000,000.

Date: September 02, 2021 11:52PM

caffiend Wrote:
> It only took a civil war (750,000 deaths) and the
> 14th Amendment to bury Dred Scott (the decision,
> not the man).

Except the 14th Amendment was passed by a constitutional process involving the Senate, the House, and 3/4 of the states. The supreme court wasn't involved at all.

Date: September 03, 2021 12:08AM

Just think of what 5 justices might have saved us from!

Date: September 03, 2021 12:35AM

Saved us from the constitutional method of amending the constitution?

Date: September 03, 2021 01:12AM

A different Dred Scott ruling, or a reversal, might have spared us all that. We'll never know, of course. The South would have been up in arms figuratively, for sure, and perhaps literally. But a different SCOTUS ruling might have bought us time for different solution(s) to come forward.

The British passed their Slavery Abolition Act in 1833 without force of arms (except for various slave revolts).

This long article shows how Britain terminated chattel slavery through various judicial and Parliamentarian acts.

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Abolition-Of-Slavery/

Date: September 03, 2021 01:45AM

I don't think Dred Scott in 1857 made a significant difference in the institutions of slavery.

Dred Scott came three centuries after the inception of slavery in what would become US territory; two centuries after slavery became the foundation of the Southern economy; and many decades after the South forced the North to treat black Americans as 3/5 of a human being as their price for embracing the US constitution. The institutions of slavery had put down roots far deeper than those of cotton plants, far deeper even than the United States itself.

It's important as well to remember what Dred Scott was about. The eponymous African American argued that since he had lived in the north for several years, he should be able to apply for citizenship. The court said he was not entitled to that privilege. But if the court had ruled the other way and allowed slaves who lived in the North to seek citizenship, it would still have had no effect on slaves in the South.

Sure, the decision angered people in the North. But Abe Lincoln and the Republicans were already committed to Emancipation and the South was not about to surrender slavery due to a supreme court decision that didn't apply to the South. Would it have been nice to have the supremes overturn Dred Scott in the four years that remained before the Civil War? Sure, for symbolic reasons and the soul of the United States but Dred Scott had nothing to do with the issue in dispute: namely, Southern slavery.

More importantly in the present context, what exactly is the parallel with Roe that you are implying? Is/was the US on the brink of civil war over abortion rights? Do you think that stresses between the pro-Life and pro-Choice camps are going to improve if/after the supremes overturn Roe?

Date: September 03, 2021 02:39AM

Steps in the right direction.
If we take the right steps in the right direction, perhaps we won't fall--or jump--off a precipice.

In the 19th Century, Great Britain approached a divisive issue with careful, perhaps, plodding steps.
The United States did not.
Perhaps we can do better this time around.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:24AM

summer Wrote:
> So much for respecting precedent. What other prior
> SCOTUS decisions will they throw out?

In this area, the one they may take a crack at is the Griswold vs. Connecticut decision of 1965 which established a right to marital privacy with regard to the use of birth control.

https://www.oyez.org/cases/1964/496

While not all antiabortionists would support efforts in this area, I think that many churches, including the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, would support overturning the Griswold decision.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: September 02, 2021 11:31PM

in this thred ~

atheistic exmos support killing unborn children ~

plz wear your mask while so doing ~

thx ~

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 12:26AM

^^^ + millions.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 02:35AM

What's the crossover between liberals and atheists?

I switched to their side only to find it's better to stick with the devil I know.

Maybe this is why we need wars and disasters, because it's the only way we can remember how precious life actually is. The ironic part is that the pro-life croud is against public assistance for the babies they save and for drone strikes that kill innocent civilians.

That's why leaving Afghanistan was a mistake. How else are our young people going to learn the psychological cost of taking a life? Nobody teaches you that. No, better to kill and spend the next 20 years trying to not off yourself. You see, I'm not crazy. I'm just ahead of the curve.

Date: September 03, 2021 05:31AM

Speaking as someone who has spent the better part of my life teaching poor children, I can safely say that the "pro-lifers" need to put up or shut up. They don't give a crap about poor children once they are out of the womb. "Pro-life" my ass.

Date: September 03, 2021 06:42AM

Summer, so many of us pro-lifers paid hugely into the LDS’s $100-billion slush fund, upped our “fast offerings” believing that we were helping needy families, believed that our tax dollars were funding school lunch programs and subsidized housing, donated to various “Help-The-Children” organizations, only for our money to go to God-knows where. So, we did “put up,” but our help for those children has gotten ripped off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 11:23AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 10:51AM

kathleen Wrote:
> Summer, so many of us pro-lifers paid hugely into
> the LDS’s $100-billion slush fund, upped our
> “fast offerings” believing that we were
> helping needy families, believed that our tax
> dollars were funding school lunch programs and
> subsidized housing, donated to various Crippled
> Children’s organizations, only for our money to
> go to God-knows where.

The term crippled is antiquated and somewhat offensive my dear. ;)

Date: September 03, 2021 11:33AM

Thanks for pointing that out, Elder Berry; although there is a Crippled Children’s Society, I didn’t mean to be derisive to them in particular. Fixed it.

Date: September 03, 2021 08:29AM

Video games and violent Hollywood movies already condition the youth for years that soldiers to suppress or decrease feelings deaths and killing people.

War is a test factory for putting the 15+ year mental conditioning to the test. Also a test factory for anything new they have cooked up.

Going to battle can be necessary and the whole Army process is to break you down, join into the brotherhood and defending the person next to you and ultimately kill when the order is given with no hesitantly. Sir yes sir.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 11:29AM

in this thred ~

Christians ignoring most of what Jesus taught while obsessing about one issue He never mentioned ~

plz wear your mask while pretending to be pro life.

thx ~

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 02:24AM

My mom was a TBM Mormon but she was pro-choice. She was a hospital nurse and saw the results of self and amateur abortions. She was not casual about abortion and saw adoption as a better alternative. But she said a woman needed access to professionally done abortions and the government needed to stay out of it.

Overturning Roe vs Wade will just create an underground abortion business that will be horrid. Much like prohibition didn’t improve Chicago at all.

Date: September 03, 2021 02:40AM

Well put.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 03:49AM

the thought of a patch-work quilt of different states laws regarding this or other basic freedoms disturbs me Greatly.

Date: September 03, 2021 05:33AM

It upsets me greatly. Thank goodness I don't live in a backwards state like Texas, but it looks like all of our freedoms are about to be eroded by this nutty court.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 07:21AM

Wekcome to the real 1984
total slavelike control over the population with theological cults to the forefront

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:23AM

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned that this is very much like the dog that has always chased cars, and has finally caught one. Now what are the Rs going to do?

Specifically, a lot of people who were never single issue voters in the past are suddenly thinking that the only way they can protect the right to chose now is to vote certain people out of office.

Did you notice the level of silence from the usual suspects that you might expect to be crowing from the rooftops about the court’s decision? Felt like a nervous silence to me.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 10:53AM

In some circles Joe Smith was considered pro-abortion.

Date: September 03, 2021 11:22AM

Yes. The holy ghost whispers and that Doctor friend of Joes were able to snuff out the evidence originating from playtime romps in the barn, husband's house, Joe's hotel, etc.

Abortion is nothing new to society. It is legal in Texas right now. Just the time table is different AND private citizens will be watching you like a hawk.

Abortion pills bought in another state or exams will occur. If mother doesn't want it plenty of methods exist to neutralize the unwanted.

Social workers love new unwanted babies.

People became careless and used planned parenthood for their mistakes.

Are people going to stop doing what they always do...nope. just another step for Texans to be mindful of.

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 11:18AM

- This won't affect wealthy or suburban white women from getting abortions. They have the means to travel. So the mistresses of Texas megachurch pastors and Repub politicians won't lose their freedom to choose. It will mainly affect poorer WOC. A greater % of babies will be black or brown, who tend to wind up as Democrats. So conservative white evangelical Repubs are only accelerating the demographic trends turning the US into a "majority-minority" country. They are sowing the seeds of their own eventual irrelevancy.

- This will also galvanize and alienate an entire generation of young women (young men also) permanently away from the Repubs. They won't forget who took away a previously-held right. That's going to add up to millions of votes. When all of this finishes percolating through society in maybe 20 years, it will be viewed in hindsight as a medium-term Pyrrhic victory.

- I learned the other day that 60% of all abortions are medically-induced instead of performed on the table. The % of medical abortions will increase. Unless Texas starts opening or X-raying every package coming in, they can't stop this, and states can't regulate interstate commerce anyway.

- Sometimes I wonder what would happen if the wives of these "pro-life" (actually "pro-fetus") politicans, or (even better) statewide, were to take a page from Lysistrata to show their cave-dwelling husbands the consequence of their actions. A state full of incels; seems only fair. I mean, why should the women bear all the burden?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.