Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Khadija ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 02:02PM

There should be a law to limit volunteer hours to protect people from cults over working them like they do with missionaries. Maybe limit them to one hour per day volunteer hours.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 02:17PM

You think the government should be regulating volunteer hours? Good luck with that.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 02:26PM

Khadija Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There should be a law to limit volunteer hours to
> protect people from cults over working them like
> they do with missionaries. Maybe limit them to one
> hour per day volunteer hours.

The intention of such a law would be good, but the results would likely be very destructive for NON-cult volunteers across the country, and for the nation as a whole.

Much of the USA "works" because of volunteers who feed children, take care of elderly and sick or infirmed people who cannot afford necessary assistance, volunteer in schools during school hours, volunteer in after-school activities, "harvest" still-good food instead of trashing it, chauffeur people to essential medical care, do laundry for those who cannot do it themselves, etc., etc.

Without those enormous numbers of volunteer hours, much of this country would begin slowing down, and this would lead to eventual stoppage in many critically important areas of American life.

On another level, trying to adequately define "cult" for everyday purposes would be, in my opinion, impossible (especially since many of the volunteers who presently exist are volunteering for what amount to personal, often spiritual/religious, reasons).

Mis dos centavos.

EDITED TO ADD: I just realized the implication of the proposal to "maybe limit them to one hour per day volunteer hours." You are not counting in transportation time, or the cost of transportation. I live in southern California, and we frequently have to time budget two or three hours, EACH WAY, for what we need to do. Depending on the time of day, it can take three hours ONE WAY to get from where I live to City Hall, for example--or to a destination "over the mountain." This means not just maybe six hours driving total for the day, but the financial cost of that driving: gas, maintenance, insurance, etc.

To do volunteer work for one hour only, and have it cost, both in time and in money, what it would cost to get to "there" and then back home, would be absurd and practically no one would likely ever do it (unless it was for the benefit of a relative or a close friend).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 02:59PM by Tevai.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 03:05PM

I think there could be more productive legal course to protect people from cults. Like actually enforcing tax exempt standards. I admit I am a little unlearned about it but the way the church hoards tithing and makes it a requirement to participate in saving ordinances seems wrong and predatory. I don't understand how you can have tax exempt status but then buy up land and invest in money-making business ventures.

Edit to add: I don't believe in those saving ordinances, I just think it is dishonest and manipulating the rules and laws. I think I heard someone once compare paying tithing to buying a country club membership.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 03:08PM by blackcoatsdaughter.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 03:05PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 12:23AM

Says the man who eats horse paste.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 12:44AM

I did eat horse meat once. Didn't care for it, but I hadn't eaten in three or four days, and there was nothing else available, so down it went.

Yuck!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 04:50PM

Wasn't Khadija the first wife of the prophet Muhammed?

Yeah, fat chance of labor laws applying to volunteer work. Companies do get sued for making their employees work off the clock.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 04:56PM

Then volunteering to promulgate a religion other than the State Religion would be illegal.

It seems to work well in the Middle East!

Date: September 03, 2021 06:18PM

elderolddog Wrote:
>     Then volunteering to promulgate a religion
> other than the State Religion would be illegal.
>
>     It seems to work well in the Middle East!

In Israel all religions of Israelis are protected by Israeli law and Israeli law enforcement.

The main religions of Israelis are (in descending order of population): Judaism, Islam, Christianity, the Druze religion, the religion of the Samaritans, and Baha'i (in addition to the religions of the 4.4% of the Israeli population who are of religions other than those already mentioned).

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 06:34PM

Date: September 03, 2021 07:44PM

elderolddog Wrote:

:D     

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.