Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 07:31PM

http://www.pmslweb.com/the-blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/17-if-you-don-t-sin-Jesus-died-for-nothing-funny-meme.jpg

My children sent this to me today, I've never seen this meme. They are grown adults but at least they understand religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:23PM

We're to understand that ghawd is all-powerful, that he knows everything, and lasts forever.  But he can't 'forgive', because apparently there is a force in the universe that mandates that anyone who sins, as in breaking an eternal law, MUST pay an associated price, or penalty.  And ghawd is subject to the law, in that if any of his children sin, the piper must be paid.

And then we're to understand that ghawd himself, our pappy, can't just put that payment on his debit card, much less snap his fingers and do away with the payment.  Nope, big brother Jesus had to pay it all for us by suffering in the garden and on the cross, despite the fact that he was the one perfect being from whom no payment was required.

I do not find this flawless in its logic.  And I do not trust that Jesus lived 30 or so years and never sinned.

And who or what is the Agency that keeps track of the sins and then exacts payment?  Doesn't it come across as being a more powerful institution than the godhead?  Maybe that's who we should be worshipping, as in hitting up for a job!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 11:23AM

Zing and zing! You always ease the pain of missing Carlin.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 04:35AM

But... But... What about original sin? I don't know if it's mormon doctrine, but a lot of churches are into it. From this perspective, it always seemed to me as if being born human was like buying prestained underpants... So perhaps we need ghawd to do the laundry?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 05:09AM

Pretty much why Marti Gra exists. Fat Tuesday before Ash Wednesday and a baby boom nine months later.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 10:41AM

If it wasn't for Judas, Christ wouldn't have died on the cross..... then no Easter.

Date: September 04, 2021 11:17AM

Hilarious!

No bunnies or eggs to commemorate the Savior. How awful would that be? All we'd have is some old debauched Pagan rite. And the crown of thorns I bought on line that is made from briar bushes in Jerusalem would have no meaning when I wear it because the peope around me are being a pain.

Posted by: DaveinTX ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 11:43AM

No, the Catholic Church would have come up with some other way to change the pagan event we know as the Vernal Equinox into the religious holiday of Easter. Just like the Winter Solstice was usurped into Christmas.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:16PM

Date: September 07, 2021 11:05AM

So. Joseph wasn't the only one plagiarizing and borrowing from others? Nobody has had an original thought since the Pagans? Sounds about right.

Which makes me laugh about all those whining nowadays about "cultural appropriation." As Mister Smith would tell you . . . everybody knows imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Posted by: Wardell ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 02:28PM

Jesus committed a version of Suicide by Cop.

All that crap about him dying - he chose it.

Just another suicide, nothing actually special.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 12:30PM

I have done my share to validate his sacrifice

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 04:37PM

...then you will realize that Jesus was not considered perfect by everyone with whom he came into contact.

Think about it. The family of King Herod didn't consider him to be perfect; neither did the Sandhandrin; neither did the Pharisses nor the Saducees or any of a great number of other people who, according to the Bible, Jesus came into conflict with. So, despite what the churches claim, Jesus couldn't have been a perfect man since many even during his own time failed to realize how perfect he was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2021 04:39PM by blindguy.

Posted by: Richard Foxe ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 08:48PM

I know this is all done in adolescent humor, but it seems that many take it seriously as a flaw in Christianity.

The smoking, drinking, stoned image of Jesus begs an important question: why are these considered "sins"? Because they are behaviors that stem from the belief that we ARE our egos/bodies and so devote our lives to indulging those. The 'sin' that Christ "saved" humanity from (and I realize this is taken from the Old Testament trope of animal sacrifice or scapegoating)is that existential error of believing we are that body-mind which is separate from others and from God and acting upon it (isn't that the presumption behind all conventional crimes?). If that bodily identity can die (as it always does) and yet the Being lives unaffected by it, that is a lesson for everyone.

It is, essentially, the "fallen state" of humanity, and it characterizes everyone, even the holy-poly ascetics (who still take the bodily identity as real enough to struggle against).

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 07, 2021 11:06AM

Mary didn't sin nor was she conceived in it. Jesus didn't do shiz for his own mother!

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 07, 2021 11:25PM

That's the only reason I do it [To Save Jesus The Trouble].

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 12:28AM

But Jesus didn’t die. At least not yet. He lives in North Disneyland.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 11:46PM

And His hair!

Posted by: moremany-me ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 12:09AM

I was wondering what we were doing it for

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.