Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:27PM

With the end near, there are suggestions that Gordon B. HInckley didn't die of old age. He died from the Big C.

But that wasn't was initially reported by the Mormon Church-Owned press.

Since Hinckley's death from cancer has been mentioned on this board [in the past], here's a review t of the rather perplexing public reports of his passing vs. some other below-the-radar info.

In another thread, RfM poster "Marylou" wrote:

"Hinckley may not have been a whistleblower but it seems to me he tipped his hand when he decided to seek treatment for his cancer at age 95. I would think someone with a firm testimony would be anxious to get to the other side to be reunited with his wife. No, not him. Spend thousands of dollars and be sick with treatments just to last another month or two. He was either scared to death of what was waiting on the other side or he knew full well nothing was waiting for him."

("Re: DONT YOU GET IT. HINCKLEY WAS THE WHISTLEBLOWER," posted by "Marylou," on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 17 April 2012)
_____

From the public press accounts issued by the Mormon Church in the wake of Hinckley's death, the faithfully uninformed could certainly reach the conclusion that their divinely-cradled prophet, seer and revelator died--as the Morg(ue) put it in both its website press release and through its house organ, the "Deseret News"--from causes "incident to age."

That was certainly the official liWne on LDS Net Central:

". . . Church president [Hinckley] died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE. Members of his family were at his bedside."

Then, to top it off, this:
"Style guide note: When reporting about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, please use the complete name of the Church in the first reference. For more information on the use of the name of the Church, go to our online style guide."

("Beloved Church President, Gordon B. Hinckley, Dies at 97," 27 January 2008, author(s) unnamed, in "Newsroom: The Official Church Resource for News Media, Opinion Leaders, and the Public," emphasis added)

Singing the same song and using essentially the same words, the Church's parrot publication, the "Deseret News," solemnly announced:

"President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through explosive growth during his more than 12 years as president, died 7 p.m. Sunday at home of CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE, surrounded by family. He was 97."

OK, so the Morg(ue) says Hinckley died because of "CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE."

("LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley Dies at Age 97: LDS president Met Call with Humility, Vigor," "by the Deseret Morning News staff," in "Deseret News," Sunday, 27 January 2008. emphasis added)

But didn't it all seem a bit too insistent,too repetitive, too canned? Indeed, the "Deseret News" appeared to have gone out of its way to assure the faithful that Hinckley died a happy, healthy man--at least for his age (that is, before dying of "CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE":

"Two years ago this month, he underwent laparoscopic surgery to remove colon cancer. While a traditional colectomy requires five to eight days in the hospital and an at-home recovery of at least six weeks, the laparoscopic surgery hospital stay is usually two to four days and individuals can often return to work in two or three weeks.

"True to form for the energetic, globe-trotting leader, President Hinckley flew to Chile two months later in March 2006 to rededicate the Chilean temple. During the ceremonies, he alluded to his recent operation, quipping he would not recommend it to anyone.

"'President Hinckley was at his best," Elder L. Tom Perry of the Council of the Twelve said moments after the first dedication session adjourned. 'He conducted the entire session. Gave the dedicatory prayer. You wouldn't know he had ever been ill. His vigor was absolutely amazing.'

"His health has been the topic of speculation off and on among Church members ever since, particularly during semi-annual General Conferences of the church held each April and October. Less than a month after his Chilean trip in 2006, he stood at the podium in the LDS Conference Center during the Sunday morning session of the 176th annual General Conference and--in a rare departure from his usual sermons on gospel topics--reflected on his personal life.

"The speech was widely considered by members as a farewell of sorts that he was able to deliver personally. He mentioned his age frequently in public during the last five years of his life, almost as a way of preparing church members for his death and assuring them he was at peace with whatever timing would be his. After the death of his wife, Marjorie, in 2004, he periodically spoke movingly of missing her.

"More recently, President Hinckley presided and spoke at the August funeral of his beloved second counselor, President James E. Faust, noting the sadness that his passing meant to him personally. He spoke again publicly during October's semi-annual general conference, but delivered fewer and shorter speeches than he had previously done during the two-day event.

"He presided and offered brief remarks at the funeral of Sister Inis Hunter in late October, then spoke again during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional in December at the Conference Center, in what would be his last major public address. He sent a message that was read by President Thomas S. Monson, first counselor in the First Presidency, at the funeral of billionaire businessman and philanthropist James Sorenson last week."

("LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley Dies at Age 97: LDS President Met Call with Humility, Vigor," in "Deseret News," 27 January 2008, emphasis added)

And then he suddenly up and died.

Why was that, do you suppose?

Some backstory information that, as far as I know, was not necessarily reported through the general-consumption media.

In stark contrast to the Mormon Church's carefully-crafted-and-approved-for-publication version of events, I have been informed on good authority that Hinckley didn't die from old age itself but, rather, from the destructive effects of chemotherapy resulting from his treatment for colon cancer.

I was told, in other words, that Hinckley's sudden decline (where he went from actively communicating and waving his cane around to a rapid slide into death), resulted not from just being 97 years old. It was (so this alternative version of events goes), from ultimately succumbing to the adverse effects of medical treatment he received from those assigned the task of killing his cancer.

What may have possibly happened instead was the killing of the Lord's prophet. If so, then it must have been God's will.

In fact, the Mormon Church-owned weekly newspaper supplement, the "Church News," did acknowledge that Hinckley had been receiving chemotherapy treatments for his cancer. That fact, however, was not reported in the wake of his death until several days after he had breathed his last:

"After a long life of dedicated service to God and his fellowman, President Gordon B. Hinckley died Jan. 27 of CAUSES INCIDENT TO AGE. He was 97. . . .

"President Hinckley ended his mortal journey Sunday at 7 p.m. in his apartment, surrounded by his five children and other family members. In past months the beloved Church leader had lost strength, making fewer appearances and most recently using a wheelchair, though not entirely giving up his well-employed cane. . . .

"His dedication of the Utah State Capitol Jan. 4 was his last public appearance. He kept up with his daily work schedule until the last week of his life.

"Two years ago, on Jan. 24, 2006, he underwent laparoscope surgery in a bout with cancer of the large intestine. Although he recovered well and completed the subsequent chemotherapy, on Tuesday, Jan. 22, he underwent what was called a 'follow-up chemotherapy.' A day or two later, he began feeling weaker. On Friday, Jan. 25, at the funeral of LDS inventor and philanthropist James L. Sorenson, President Thomas S. Monson, first counselor in the First Presidency, announced that President Hinckley was not feeling well. After that, he continued to decline. . . .

"On Nov. 2, 2007, he became the longest-lived president of the Church, which by then had a membership of 13 million."

Hmmmmmm. Nothing like giving chemotherapy to a 97-year-old to end that "longest-living" record thing.

(John L. Hart, "Church News" associate editor, "President Hinckley Ends Mortal Journey: Life Marked by Testimony, Vigor, Personal Warmth and Courage," in "Church News," 2 February 2008, emphasis added)

Some interesting details on the last moments of President Interesting and incongruent details about the death of Gordon B. Hinckley

Although the Mormon Church-owned Deseret News announced Hinckley died at p.m. on Sunday, January 27, 2008,I was told that, according to inside family sources, Hinckley actually died Sunday afternoon around 3 p.m., despite the fact that his reported time of death was announced in the Mormon-owned press as having occurred some four hours later.

This information came to me from someone who was in a position to know the Hinckley family with some degree of personal familiarity.

What accounts for that seeming discrepancy--if it actually is one--I don't know. Where's the Holy Ghost when you need it?
Hinckley family with some degree of personal familiarity).

Although it was announced in the Mormon press that Hinckley died not old age, is it more like that he succumbed to CAUSES INCIDENT TO CHEMOTHERAPY?

Here's some more background on HInckey's death that I was made aware of.

In 2006, Utah media, as well as news organizations in other locations were with increasing focus following up on the possibility that Hinckley's health had taken a signfiicant turn for the worse. This ramped-up attention came amid reports at the time that Hinckley had been operated on for colon cancer, that he was recovering comfortably from said surgery and that he would be resuming a full schedule shortly.

In the wake of these announcements, the Mormon Church's official news releases were both vague and upbeat on the matter of Hinckley's reported condition.

However, one RfM poster, "Schraevus," posted on this board about a so-called "Mormon e-mail" being circulated which reported that Hinckley's health is in serious jeopardy and that this might be his last General Conference:

"Just got this from a TBM friend. Nothing quite as juicy as GA relatives gossip.

"I was talking with my friend in North Salt Lake this morning. He lives in a ward with 3 Apostles and the Stake President is Elder Ballard's son-in-law. They had Stake Conference this past Sunday and Elder Ballard, who just had both knees replaced, came and spoke.

"Among other things, Apostle Ballard said that General Conference this April (2006) may well be our last chance to hear Pres. Hinckley speak. He said that Pres. Hinckley is suffering from a very serious illness and that, much like King Benjamin gathering his people around to address them one last time, we would do well to listen as intently as the people of that time. It is sad to think that we may lose President Hinckley soon but thought it would be good to know this and treat his testimony even more reverently."

("This Just in on Mo E-mail," post by "Schraevus," on "Recovery from Mormonism" bulletin board, 31 March 2006)

Around this same time, I spoke with a source of my own who informed me that Hinckley has cancer and that his family was flying in from all over the country to be with him during General Conference.

When I asked if the Hinckley family normally comes in to be with their patriarch at Conference time, I was informed that a gathering by his family of this magnitude is unusual and that requests were being made to have Hinckley family members come who are outside Hinckley's immediate (i.e., nuclear) family circle.

I was informed of Hinckley's situation (and his family's response to it) as I inquired of the source about reports of Ballard's reported acknowledgment that Hinckley has a very serious illness and that this may be the last time he is at General Conference.

In response to those reports, I was told that Hinckley's serious illness was, in fact, cancer and that his family is coming in from far and wide.

Based on what my source told me at the time (if proven accurate), it seemed that things did not look good for Hinckley.

Subsequent to these and other RfM postings, an investigative source in the news media (who covers these matters for a living) contacted me, inquiring on Hinckley's health and making a few observations, along with noting that the media was in a state of increased alert concerning the subject of Hinckley's health.

The observations included the following:

--Hinckley was scheduled to, but ended up not kicking off, April Conference with his own, planned opening remarks.

--Several glowing references to Hinckley were subsequently made by other Conference speakers.

--Several glowing references were likewise made by other Conference speakers to Monson (Hinckley's heir apparent).

--While Hinckley had assured the Mormon faithful that his obituary should not be written just yet and that he planed on attending this year's October Conference, there had been acknowledgment by the Church that Hinckley was suffering residual effects from his cancer operation. Elements of the media were on heightened alert to the possibility that if, in fact, Hinckley has cancer (particularly if he was suffering from a fast-spreading kind related to the colon), he might not make it to the following October, despite his assurances otherwise.

--Continuing investigative efforts were being made by the media to confirm accounts that Hinckley's health was reportedly in a state of significant decline and that he may not be around much longer.

--The media was aware of the RfM board's on-going discussions on Hinckley's health and regards this site as a source of potentially valuable information.

Below is a summation concerning Hinckley's condition during this period--which wasn't good--and which, despite Hinckley's public comments, appeared to possibly be a matter of some institutionalized cover-up by the Mormon Church:

--Hinckley Admitted He Was On His Last Legs

On Sunday, April 2nd, 2006, Hinckley informed his General Conference audience that he was in the final chapters of his life, as reported by the "Associated Press":

"SALT LAKE CITY--Mormon church president Gordon B. Hinckley said on Sunday he is in the 'sunset of my life' and suffering from some residual health problems after undergoing major surgery earlier this year.

"'I am totally in the hands of the Lord,' Hinckley said, addressing the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on the second day of the faith's twice-yearly conference.

"Hinckley, 95, was hospitalized in January after doctors discovered a cancerous growth on his intestine during what was called a routine medical examination. He had surgery and spent nearly a week in the hospital recovering.

Hinckley, now in his 11th year as church president, has acknowledged he is slowing down with age. But he also made it clear that his sense of humor is as sharp as ever and that he didn't want church members to over-interpret his health concerns.

"'I trust you will not regard this as an obituary,' he said, drawing a laugh. "Rather I look forward to the opportunity of speaking to you again in October."

--Despite an Earlier Operation for Colon Cancer, Hinckley Still Had Cancer

Actually, it was no laughing matter and his condition appeared to involve more than just residual after-effects of his previous surgery for colon cancer.

Again, as a reliable source informed me, Hinckley was suffering at that time from cancer and, due to the serious nature of his condition, his family had gathered from across the country in an unusual move to be with him at Conference

I was been informed that, according to sources in medical circles, Hinckley definitely had cancer. However, the claims of these sources had, I am told, yet to be reliably confirmed.

--Hinckley's Condition Was Met with Silence from the Mormon Church

According to a source with whom I was in contact and who was closely following developments on Hinckley's health, the Mormon Church released a statement on Hinckley's condition in which it said, essentially, that Hinckley has nothing more to say (at that moment, at least) about his physical condition.

--The LDS Church Denounced Internet Chat About What Was Reportedly Being Disseminated in Mormon Church Meetings

According to this same source, the same Mormon Church statement also decried Internet chat, warning Latter-day Saints not to spread information they believe they have heard in Mormon church settings. This was interesting in light of the reported comments made by Apostle Ballard in a stake conference relating to Hinckley's seriously declining heath.

Nothing like that evil internet chat.

I have my sources.

I heard want I heard.

I was told what I was told.

And I'm stickin' to it.

Gordon B. Hinckley can step out from behind the curtain and tell me otherwise. Or he can remain lying where his remains are buried.

I won't be holding my breath.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2021 10:05PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:55PM

What does his death certificate say was the cause of death I wonder? Of course, they (LDS doctors) would lie if told to put "causes incident to age." Since when is chemo considered part of old age?

It's pretty sad that their first inclination is to lie to try and make everything look good. Appearances, appearances, appearances. That's what we've come to expect from that organization.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 09:57PM

Cynical me...  There seems to have been a lot of concern in 2006.  But he made it to Jan. of 2008.  And yeah, he probably preferred the known of his precarious hold on life to the hoped-for fate that supposedly awaited him upon his 'passing'.

So he had a bit of recovery, but then in mid-2007 his situation started to go south, and he opts for more chemo, cuz it worked, seemingly, earlier, and, you know, ...living...

And then it didn't work out...  Neither the medical science nor the blessing.  Yay ghawd's will!

What's up with ghawd teasing us like he sometimes does?

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 11:17PM

"What's up with ghawd teasing us like he sometimes does?"

A guy who lives forever needs a hobby.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: September 03, 2021 11:46PM

He could go to Hobby Lobby. I bet they'd give him a 5% discount.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 12:19AM

They really didn't need to mention the cause of death at all (many families are not eager to share the details.) If they had simply reported that Hinckley had passed at home, at age 97, surrounded by family, it would have passed muster. It seems that when you get to a certain age (which can vary, person to person,) pretty much anything can deliver the fatal blow.

I think it's cruel for the Mormon church (or any church) to keep their leaders going into their 80s and 90s. I could see perhaps a very light schedule if the leader was so inclined. But to maintain a full schedule in your old age is too much.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 03:37AM

Let me guess. The Hinkster shat the bed after ingesting veterinarian grade Ivermectin.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 03:56AM

I was hoping for a more juicy story like a drug overdose in a Wendover hotel room with two male prostitutes.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 01:49PM

and I didn't wonder about Hinckley. My uncle straightened up his life at age 50 and eventually became a stake president. He was an interesting stake president, or not so much so. He couldn't give a talk that made any sense. One of the bishops in his stake (a friend of mine) asked me if my uncle had dementia. Nope.

BUT he fought death. And he certainly wanted to take his money with him. He threatened his children, tried to get it so his wife was considered incapable of taking care of the money after he died. She was furious at him for a year or more after he did die.

My cousin (who just happens to be a lesbian and her father wouldn't let her tell him that--he kept stopping her from doing so) told me my uncle was scared to death of dying.

And my dad, the heretic, was ready to die. He told us not to be sad, that he had had a good life and he was ready to go. My uncle died in his late 80s and my dad died at age 76.

It just seems the more religious someone is,the more afraid they are of dying.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 02:11PM

Death is actually becoming more of a current topic in the exmo community because old coots like me are starting to part the veil or at least taking peeks at what awaits us on the other side. Knock three times and it's all over. LOL

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: September 04, 2021 03:53PM

"I would think someone with a firm testimony would be anxious to get to the other side to be reunited with his wife. No, not him."

Perhaps he was afraid of being confronted by Steve Christensen and Kathy Sheets on "the other side". Their blood was on his hands. If I believed in the god that he believed in, I'd be scared too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.