Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonsometimes ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 12:03PM

It’s been 8 years since myself, DH & our 4 children left. I used to be a regular poster but with recovery I have needed the forum less & less. I’ve been wondering what TSCC is currently like? Is the mass exodus still occurring? Any big changes we may have missed in the last couple of years?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tiger ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 12:11PM

My experience from England yes, but maybe slowing or coming to the end.

All the youth in my stake I knew when I was in the youth programme 15 years ago are out pretty much. I can count on one hand the ones still active.

Very roughly anyone under 40 is either gone or semi active/culturally Mormon.

Handful of diehards remain but the congregations are aging and the senior management of ward and stake are getting older.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 02:14PM

Not enough left to leave in droves.

They're trickling out.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 02:40PM

What are the conservative and liberal estimates with regard to the percentage of the 16 million 'mormons' who attend 75% of scheduled snackerment meetings?

Posted by: Tiger ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 03:41PM

In the UK there's at least an 80% inactivity rate. Id suggest its possible an even higher % now.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 04:44PM

Wow. Nothing to write home about then.

Talk about busy work. Sending out the mishies to "convert" the world and yet the newbies aren't active, or not for long. That's about what I observed during my brief stint with the Mormons. One big reason, I believe, is because it's bait-and-switch. I learned about that type of con in high school law class. Too bad I didn't spot it when I first met the missionaries. They have to duck and dive and avoid and lie to get people into the font and then delay rolling back the curtain for as long as possible afterwards or else new members quickly flee.

It's a stupid way to run a church.

However, maybe their billions convinces them otherwise. For now. But days of reckoning eventually arrive. The one for LDS Inc. would be a fascinating one.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 03:42PM

With covid, it's kind of hard to tell. New stakes are still being created, FWIW.

About 2 years from now we should have a better idea. My gut feeling is yes, still leaving in droves. Actually, wouldn't sheep leave in flocks? As in "I'm getting the flock outta here."

I'll see myself out.

Posted by: Anonsometimes ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 06:42PM

Lol! That’s funny, “getting the flock outta here!”

What does FWIW stand for?

Date: September 06, 2021 07:11PM

FWIW is the acronym for “five willies in willow”, referring to an old English proverb about putting too much faith in beer.

Posted by: Nuggett ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 07:23PM

FWIW = For What It's Worth

Date: September 06, 2021 08:19PM

Yeah, sometimes this what it means…

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 03:11PM

I'd bet that the "new" stakes are just consolidations from existing stakes, like the time the church announced "two new stakes" in Spain, but all they had done was consolidate three existing stakes into two, re-named them, then claimed that they were "new," pretending that it demonstrated growth. This is how the church rolls.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 07, 2021 12:38AM

I think the church is going to cause a huge amount of temple burnout by building way too many temples. When that happens they are out of tricks.

Date: September 08, 2021 06:48PM

Closing out a semi-annual conference with a big whoop-de-doo about new temples is a real thrill ride for both leadersheep and the flock.

And by now they have probably figured out that they can all get a big drug-rush with just the announcement . . .screw actually building the temple, like Russia and Budapest.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 01:51PM

So out of 16.6 million "on the books"
maybe 4.4 million active or somewhat active (a bit over 25%)
Guessing Utah 2 million "on the books" and 1 million active
States close to Utah: forget Colorado (my state- just tiny % LDS)
Wyoming, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona - guess 500,000 active? out of 1.2 million members
Only 22 out of 50 states have 1% LDS or more "on the books".
But in some states the vast majority are inactive.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/mormon-population-by-state.html

So the "actives" breakdown like this:
Utah and nearby states 1.5 million
Rest of world 2.9 million
The world is a gigantic place.
World population will exceed 8 billion next year in 2022.
Away from the LDS stronghold in mountain west, there's about 2,800 people for every active LDS person.
Worldwide, "the church" never really established any significant growth at all after centuries of effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 01:54PM by mrx.

Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 02:07PM

I noticed that California has almost 800,000 LDS members "on the books". Actives? possibly only a quarter million. . . .

The number of LDS members in California could quite possibly nosedive in future decades. Due to incompetent politicians, the state is not run by geniuses, but by bungling fools. Many people are leaving California. Many LDS members are leaving as well.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 02:22PM

Droves are passe!

Many are leaving in Beemers & Acuras;those who can't afford leave in Toyotas, Fords, & Hyundais. Those leaving in Hondas don't wish to be ID'd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.