Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 04:04PM

Given that he claimed that he's "a type of deity," I think an insanity defense will likely be proffered.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 04:27PM

Prophecies about God sending destruction by fire seem to be overblown.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 06:35PM

I'm guessing that he is an anti-masker and anti-vaxxer.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 07:34PM

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 07:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2021 07:37PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: September 05, 2021 06:57PM

Why not simply say that The Spirit moved him like it did Nephi? He could phrase it somewhat like this:

"I was constrained by the Spirit that I should burn the churches; but I said in my heart: Never at any time have I torched a building. And I shrunk and would that I might not burn them. And the Spirit said unto me again: Behold the Lord hath delivered these buildings into thy hands. And now, when I had heard these words, I remembered the words of the mormons which they spake about me in the church. Therefore I did obey the voice of the Spirit, and took a match and lit it, and did set fire to the buildings."

If they don't accept it and drop the charges, that would be an acknowledgment that Nephi, that great prophet, would have been arrested and arraigned in Utah on murder charges, and possibly be evaluated on his mental health.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 11:28AM

You had me there for a few seconds, D.O.!!

Mormons would respond to you with one word: Purpose!

They accept that Nephi’s apparent law breaking had a divine purpose.

And it’s not just mormons who do this.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 12:24PM

True, but Utah law enforcement wouldn't know or care. All they would care about was nabbing the perp going around beheading people.

Updating to a modern scenario -

St. George police find a prominent wealthy mormon, LaBan Christensen, headless and naked in the street. (His blood alcohol content is three times the level for DUI purposes, but this detail is never released to the public. Can't have a scandal.)

Soon after, the Utah state police announce that a suspect has been captured. He was covered in LaBan's blood, was wearing LaBan's clothing, and carried a bloody machete. His name is Niephyy Sorensen and happens to be the son of a St. George stake president, Lee Hy Sorensen.

Even Lee Hy, with all his connections, wouldn't be able to spring Niephyy; after all, LaBan's family would be locally powerful as well. Niephyy's "the Spirit made me" defense wouldn't hold up in any court, not even in Utah.

"Prophetic purpose" only works with 2600 years of hindsight. If a modern-day Nephi was loose on the streets, Utah mormons would be terrified and demand he be locked up and eventually executed.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:01PM

Well, if that's the way you want to look at it, why not just go ahead and say it: "The Book of Mormon is fiction!"

Go ahead, I dare you!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.