Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 12:21PM

During my lifetime I have seen and heard of much evil committed in the name of religion.
From the child brides of Short Creek to the mass murder and suicide in Jonesville. An I continually ask the question Why do human beings go for it?
I think that it is because we have been indoctrinated since childhood into believing that there was a pre mortal existence, a mortal existence, and a post mortal existence. Two of the three are unprovable
If I can convince you that I can control what happens to you in the post mortal existence then it is probable that I can get you to do anything that I tell you during this existence.
Also if I can point to your misfortunes and convince you that a specific group or culture is responsible then I can incite you anger against that group or culture to the point when, at my command, you will indiscriminately murder them.
This has happened more than once in the history of the world. A few examples would be the Spanish inquisition, Brigham young and his Danites, Adolph Hitler and his gestapo to name a few.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:29PM

You are correct on both counts. According to an NPR story that aired in 2010 or 2011 (I can't remember now), the creation of religion was in fact used to control the behaviors of members of a particular human group. As the NPR story noted, there were no police in the history of early humans so early leaders found it useful to threaten those who didn't go along with them with revenge in the hereafter.

With regard to the scapegoating of different tribes, the BBC is reporting this morning that Etheopian soldiers and police have been exterminating members of the Tigrean tribe living in the province of Tigre. Since the press were not let in to report on what was happening in that province, the evidence is only now surfacing as both bodies and survivors have been showing up in Sudan which borders the province on the west.

Ultimately, I suspect that human beings are animals that are very superstitious and tribalistic and whose leadership appears to be largely incapable of self-reflection and the admission of both counselling and encouraging destructive behaviors towards other human beings deemed to be not part of their tribe.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 03:05PM

It's a small step from state sponsored religion to state sponsored terrorism.

Date: September 07, 2021 10:05AM

Isn't Christianity state sponsored? Emperor Constantine was pretty much the state.

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 07:43AM

MMM ?

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 10:35PM

If you believe in Harvey, a 6 foot tall invisible rabbit you are deemed crazy.

If you believe in Jesus, Noah, Abraham and so much religion - a vast cauldron of fairy tales and outright lies - you are all right and a good person?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 07, 2021 10:57AM

Religion is "Safety in Numbers". You have to pick the popular belief because believing the same as everyone else is what lets you claim to be sane. Numbers are THE proof you are right.

50/50 is the worst number because it makes it impossible to tell who is right, dammit.

"Mormonism isn't a cult. Cults don't have 15 million followers!" And that is why they cling to the lie, "fastest growing church". That gives them credibility and they know they need to find some somewhere, cuz, numbers-wise, things are tough. So built temples by the dozen. Numbers. Get those missionaries out by the thousands to be seen. Numbers.

Date: September 07, 2021 09:06PM

"You've been hoodwinked, baby!" - Boingo

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 11:49PM

Tell us what the bible says about abortion.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 07, 2021 12:29AM

One and the same in my mind.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 07, 2021 10:31AM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If I can convince you that I can control what
> happens to you in the post mortal existence then
> it is probable that I can get you to do anything
> that I tell you during this existence.

At least you included the word "probable." Good for you. Jumping from religion to Hitler is a leap of faith. Literally.

Date: September 09, 2021 02:13PM

I would have thought this rather hyperbolic, but religion is the opium of empire. It's a tool of empire. That’s why it's not taxed. Religion gives white supremacy legitimacy so it can commit unspeakable atrocities abroad.

The Christianity of Trump and the Christianity of Biden are the pipe dreams of crack heads. Bedtime stories for the masses. You think an enlightened being came here 2000 years ago to start this stupendous mess? He would have known better.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 02:26PM

A god born asexually as an asexual man took the form of their own image to be convicted of crimes and receive a capital sentence for us.

No thanks.

Posted by: BoydKKK ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 08:45AM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> A god born asexually as an asexual man took the
> form of their own image to be convicted of crimes
> and receive a capital sentence for us.
>
> No thanks.

His version of "suicide by cop"?

Date: September 11, 2021 10:57AM

Being God is like "Groundhog Day".

Date: September 09, 2021 02:45PM

So maybe we should thank George Washington for leading his Taliban against King George to give us "religious freedom", which curiously seems more like a life sentence.

Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 03:41PM

I read a saying once but can't remember who said it. Some of you might. It goes something like this:

Good men will generally do good things, bad men will generally do bad things, but to get bad men to do good things and to get good men to do bad things requires religion.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 06:10PM

Gordan B always said the mission was to make bad men good and good men better - he left out how "good men" lie for Lord etc.

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 06:12PM

No one mentioned the middle east and religion. Religion works really well in this part of the world. No evil in Syria, Beruit, Isreal, Afganistan etc...

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 01:23PM

squirrely Wrote:
> Gordan B always said the mission was to make bad
> men good and good men better - he left out how
> "good men" lie for Lord etc.
I give reference to lying for the Lord.
THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS
AKA Don't LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 07:23AM

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 09:56AM

I see religion as being a deeply human endeavor, in which the best and worst of humanity, and everything in between, is manifested.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 04:18PM

Not to mention all the child abuse enabled by abusive religions like the one we inherited, unfortunately, which still, to this day, forces kids to sing the praises of a serial rapist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.