Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:06PM

In a certain context anyway. If you know how to count, 2+2 is not 5. But what if you don't and everyone around you thinks it's 5? What if truth is nothing but a collective delusion?

Are our delusions so much superior to those of the Mormons? Are exmos really ex or are they disaffected Mormons with the same brainwashing? Maybe we're an online ward with a liberal bishop (CZ) who doesn't do tithing settlement.

I mean, we all grow up in the same education system where we were brainwashed to trust authority and taught to revere science as a kind of orthodoxy full of clergy in white lab coats. Notice all of the Covid discussions. Mormonism, before it sold out, stood in contrast. It was a magical world where priesthood was real magic. This level of belief became unsustainable after the wheels fell off (cuz science). It turns out that facts get in the way of delusion for most people. Then the metaphysics of belief stops working.

It's not that delusions are bad, it’s that (according to Donald Hoffman) they are all we have. The Q15 are trying in vain to hold the old delusion together, but their faith is bogus or it would work. So fuggem, I'm out.

Is the church true? Sure, as true as Santa Claus and supersonic flying reindeer. I kind of miss the eggnog, but I think there's something in it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 06, 2021 01:19PM

It's only as true as each person needs it to be.

So far, no one who has trusted in gravity or Newton's three of motion has been disappointed, so presumably, there are some truths that exist.

I find it soothing that gravity and Newton's laws work no matter your racial background, gender, social status, or sexual orientation.

Not that we know it as a certainty, because The Cat hasn't told us yet, but it's possible that gravity and Newton's law are universal.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.