Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: barcelona ( )
Date: September 09, 2021 11:35PM

Does anyone know the answers to these?

1) When membership records are transferred to a ward, what do they contain?

2) Do they contain information on the dates someone served a mission?

3) Do they contain information on what callings a person has had in their life?

4) Can current bishops see the amount of tithing a member has paid in the last 5-10 years, or a lifetime, from their records?

5) How do members bypass the ward to pay tithing directly to the church?

6) If members bypass the ward and pay the church directly, can the current bishop know the amounts?

Really curious if any ex-mos have been in positions to see what's in the records. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dot matrix printer ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 02:43AM

barcelona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does anyone know the answers to these?
>
> 1) When membership records are transferred to a
> ward, what do they contain?

Basic info related to church: baptism, ph dates, marriage and sealing, endowment dates
>
> 2) Do they contain information on the dates
> someone served a mission?

Yes, dates and name of mission
>
> 3) Do they contain information on what callings a
> person has had in their life?

No, but there was a "box" with former church unit name# and whether to contact prior bishops. Would flag the next church ward if there were outstanding sins and discipline not fulfilled.
>
> 4) Can current bishops see the amount of tithing
> a member has paid in the last 5-10 years, or a
> lifetime, from their records?

Yes, there is a member profile on tithes and donations that church leaders (bishopric/stake leaders can view)
>
> 5) How do members bypass the ward to pay tithing
> directly to the church?

They can send in donations/payments but the church reciprocates the financial data back to the ward.

Do you really think SLC will keep your donations a secret from the ward you're assigned?
>
> 6) If members bypass the ward and pay the church
> directly, can the current bishop know the
> amounts?

Yes, see answer above.

I would run the reports and discover mail in tithing donations. They couldn't be counted as part of the local tithing funding for ward budgets.
>
> Really curious if any ex-mos have been in
> positions to see what's in the records. Thanks!

My info is dated but this was true as the church FIS and MIS databases were online in the 1990s.

There was also a section which could not be accessed by the ward/financial clerks. This would have specific data about church discipline. I know about this because the bishop had to look up data on a particular individual. He had to call the stake president to get an access code. This opened another level which I would never been able to view.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 04:05AM

Never confess anything to a bishop. Maybe that’s an IQ test right there. If you want to get anything off your chest tell it to your dog. You can always trust your dog.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 08:15AM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 11:37AM

Can I trust my cat?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 09:19AM

bradley Wrote:
> Can I trust my cat?

Hell no! Have you ever owned a cat? LOL!

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 10:07AM

> 2) Do they contain information on the dates someone served a mission?

Yes, dates and name of mission

-------------------------------------------

Interesting stuff!! Having walked off of my mission five weeks into the MTC, I always suspected that my Bishops had more info on me than just my name, rank, and serial number.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 11:39AM

A bit off topic but my Mission President, had a lot of information about my formative years in the Aaronic PH. He knew that I was an F student and seminary drop-out. He also knew my scouting rank, which was short of Eagle.

When I returned from my mission, I had to present myself before my stake presidency and high council. My mission had faxed a ton of stats ahead of time with the number of convert baptisms. Even today I can't decide if it was between 15 or 20.

So the meeting started off badly when I failed to give the correct number- I was told to try again.

And I laughed out loud thinking they were joshing, but was told it was no laughing matter. That's when I was told that I had wasted the lord's time.

I never saw the report that was sent but I am sure that it rated me poorly as an obedient missionary. I was always in trouble and I never confessed until I was cornered by missionary snitches.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 11:43AM

In, say, California, what are my rights regarding learning/finding out the entire content of the church's file on me?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 11:48AM

You have the right to know your membership #.

Seriously, you are a volunteer of a private organization. They reserve the right to seek and compile whatever info they can get.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 10, 2021 12:14PM

I returned from my mish in 69, I guess that was before the 'reporting to the sp / sc' thing was started; I almost got laid on my way home, ja ja...

Date: September 10, 2021 11:09PM

I had to report to, and be released from my mission, by my SP.  That was in 1965.  But it was only a 5 to 10-minute meeting. He'd been a next-door neighbor for at about five years, so that factor may have had a bearing on how quickly it went.

It's not like you're going to say the wrong thing and get sent back . . .

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 04:40PM

>     It's not like you're going to say the
> wrong thing and get sent back . . .

But that's the nightmare we all had for many, many years after our missions. No?

Posted by: moremany-me ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 10:41AM

GNPE Wrote:
> I returned from my mish in 69, I guess that was
> before the 'reporting to the sp / sc' thing was
> started; I almost got laid on my way home, ja
> ja...

Sex is not a game but the same rules apply, just like in, say, baseball, work, or even bowling. You get a strike or you don't. You don't "almost" get laid. You either do or you don't.

I've "almost " gotten laid - on or off - numerous times.
But they are not recorded in my memory of actually doing it.

Good feelings though. Fine memories...

Posted by: moremany-me ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 10:29AM

Side A (activities)
Side B (boo yawl)

Some skipping (church)
Some scratches
Some stickiness

The records contain information on you
(You have to keep your own records [on TSCC])
(You wouldn't want to listen to theirs)
["'Church' records" - yuk]

The records contain WHAT YOU "OWE" TSCC in order of time/ talent/ MONEY/ etc....

NOT what TSCC owes you (which you will NEVER get), including honesty, decency, actual concern...

The records are ALWAYS against - not for - you.
The records are for leverage! It's a sick 'church'.

Posted by: money ( )
Date: March 09, 2023 04:39PM

Follow the money
(Don't follow me)

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 12:31AM

They can see your "RANK" (if you are/ were a BOY) - not sure about girls/ women.

I never believed in Mormonizm but still managed to become a "teacher", never getting the call to become a "priest" [as in priesthood]), and pass out the sacreligiousment or the call to go on a missing, so a teacher I remained throughout inactive adulthood where for years and years and years NEVER saw a Mormon, never thought of it/ one, and basically forgot it existed [this is before computers, the internet, cell phones, etc.].

Then, relocating full-time/ P.T. to mormon/ family/ old stomping grounds, thought, hmm, it's been an eternity since I last heard-saw anything LDS. I'll visit; check it out. Bishop says, hmm, I see here the last IMPOSITION (rank/ office/ achievement/ calling/ dance card) you held was TEACHER.

I though, hmm, that sounds good/ about right.
I think I'll stay a teacher. Then I resigned!

I'm still a teacher, preacher and reacher...

Mormoni keeps a record on anyone, for anything

I keep mine on side B, for •balance•

Date: September 12, 2021 12:10PM

It attempts to explain both how they collect it and then what they do with it.  Apparently, one of the things Jesus did before beginning his ministry was to attend law school.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/legal/privacy-notice?lang=eng&country=go

I found this site quite happily by accident. It is a bit useful to me as I launch a quest to find out what I can find about finding out what's to find out about what's in my Membership Records.

The most important useless bit of information I'm seeking is the name of the GA who interviewed me and restored me to Grace so that I could serve a mission.  

There are other bits and pieces of flotsam and jetsam that I hope come to light so as to amuse me.

I shall also inquire about purchasing the Second Annoying . . .

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 04:41PM

Maybe the GA was LeGrande Richards. My conversation went something like

"Your bishop says you are a cynic and a hell raiser" "Well you are going to give your mission president something to think about I believe .... good luck Elder. "

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.