Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 05:36PM

I have. Late 80s and I was 18. Orem City Jail. Strip searched, found a pipe I had bought that day in the SLC head shop just down from Temple Square and put next to a man accused of molesting a child. All night he tried to convince me to have the cops put me in his cell with him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 09:34PM

Any guy that hasn't been in jail once by the time he's 30, really hasn't pushed the envelope. Learning how far the envelope can be pushed should be a required course.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 09:44PM

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 09:51PM

It took a strip search to find the pipe?

"What do you know, that looks just like the one Brigham Young had."

Date: September 15, 2021 04:40PM

It isn't about size for smoking.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 09:52PM

I said something that I didn't think was funny or flippant, but "Moose", the Clark County Sheriff's Sgt who'd been called by the deputy for guidance, thought I was trying to be a smart ass, so I got to spend the night in jail and got to eat french toast with a big spoon, lest I use a fork to wreak havoc amongst the prisoners and guards.

It was in the summer of '64. I was mooning over a member of Las Vegas mormon royalty.  I got off work at the Thunderbird Hotel and knew she might be at her summer job, as a clerk in a drug store on the Strip (The Strip is so totally different now!), south of the T-bird.

I drove down to the drug store and found her car parked in the back lot, so I thought I'd wait for her to get off work and talk to her.  I had about 40 minutes to wait.

10 minutes into the wait, a Sheriff's patrol car (back then there were two separate police agencies, the Sheriff and the Las Vegas City police; they combined a few years later) rolls by and the deputy stops and engages me in conversation.  I did not want to tell him that I was waiting for a girl to get off work so I could talk to her.

His main concern was, "Hey, where were you last night around 8:30 p.m.?" I told him that I'd been on an informal date, at a dress rehearsal of the re-opening of Flower Drum Song, to which all the Thunderbird hotel employees who wanted to could attend for free.

But he was really bugged because I wouldn't tell him exactly why I was there in the parking lot.  Of course, I was totally embarrassed about the possibility of him dragging me into the store and confronting Sis. Royalty!

So then he asked to search my car and I told him to have at it.  He apparently thought that a length of rope that I had in the back, maybe 1/2-inch by maybe 12-feet was suspicious...  

About this time I brought up the issue of what had I done to warrant being detained, searched, and questioned?  He flipped open a notebook and said that at roll-call that evening, they'd been told to be on the lookout for a young male Hispanic, about 5'9", 150 pounds, black hair, black-rimmed glasses, and devastatingly handsome.  I had to agree with him that it sure sounded like me...

Then he radioed in and asked to have "Moose" meet him at his location.  A few minutes later "Moose" rolled up, and lined up, 'patrol car driver's window to patrol car driver's window'.  I was sitting in the right front seat of the deputy's car...

Moose listens to the deputy explain what's been going on and references the gas station armed robbery that my doppelganger had committed the previous night.  After which, Moose looks past the deputy, gives me a stare, and asks me where I'd been at the time of the robbery.  To which I responded, "On a date with the Mayor's daughter..."  Moose looked back at the deputy and uttered a simple contraction of two words: "Book'em!"  And then rolled off into the night.

So the deputy handcuffs me and then we have to wait for a tow truck to come to impound my car... during which time, oblivious to what's going on, Sis. Royalty gets off work, gets into her car, and drives off.

When we got to the county jail, I had to drop my britches and get squirted with flea powder, then I was placed in a cell, where I didn't really have any trouble falling asleep.  The next morning I got the opportunity to go to breakfast with all the other guests, after which I called my mom and I told her what was going on and to call the Bishop, who called the Stake President, who called the Undersheriff, Sis. Royalty's uncle and he sprung me.  Of course, he had no idea I'd been wanting to talk to his niece...and truthfully, I have no idea what his opinion was anent Lamanites mixing with Tender Mercies.

They never did call the Mayor's daughter, who'd been a very close friend the last two years of high school and whom I really, truly had taken to the Flower Drum Song rehearsal the night before.

In retrospect, it would have been a lot smarter for me to have prefaced my response to Moose with, "Look I know you're going to find it hard to believe, but I was out with Mayor Gragson's daughter last night. Honest!"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 10:02PM

my former wife & daughter did a tag-team effort accusing me of violating a no-contact order, a friend bailed me out; the judge tossed it bc what I had sent was legal documents.

I was arrested in Sequim, transferred to the Seattle jail where I was bailed out; the bail amount was refunded, I repaid friend for the bail cost.

Honest divorce? Mormons aren't so keen on that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2021 01:03AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Tea Wrecks ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 10:48PM

Is this a rhetorical question?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: September 13, 2021 11:22PM

Si--juvenile. No record now.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 02:49AM

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 02:23PM

I've only been in jail once and I was 12 years old at the time. The scoutmaster had arranged a tour for us to show us what would happen if we didn't follow the law. Yeah, it scared most of us and I still remember it decades later.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 02:33PM

Spent time in a reform school when I was 15. I have spent overnighters at the government bed and breakfast(jail) till someone would throw my bail.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 04:21PM

As for me, two DWI's and one marijuana bust.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 11:50PM

I doubt it. :)

Why are you saying this (again)? I thought you were a cop?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 12:14AM

He was a cop as well as an alcoholic. I don't know but would guess that the latter came first and his stint as a police officer followed.

DWIs and marijuana arrests are not crimes of moral turpitude, so they wouldn't have prevented a career in law enforcement.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 12:41AM

I didn’t know this.

I have an extra bit of compassion for people with alcohol or drug problems who find religion. Whatever it takes.

Date: September 15, 2021 12:52AM

Yep,

There's no doubt that in some cases religion makes a positive difference in people's lives although frequently the old addition has merely been replaced by a new one.

Date: September 16, 2021 12:20AM

I just thought Lot's Wife has had such a circumspect life she'd have nothing to contribute--my bad!

There were a couple of decades, almost, between my chemical misadventures and my L.E. career. I overlooked overnight lockups for "protective custody." I remember waking up twice in the hoosegow, but don't know if it was two wake-up calls on one occasion, or two separate events. Such were those days.

The Department knew those things right from the outset. AA is not a secret society, but one should not disclose his AA membership on a public level. What defies "public" varies among members and circumstances.

I eventually found my way (somehow) into 12-Step Recovery. We probably disagree as to whether the addition of organized religion to my addiction recovery was for the better or worse--going from the generic "Higher Power" to the more personal YHWH.

(LW: In a deleted thread, you punned "admonitions" with "munitions," which I thought was cute.)

Date: September 16, 2021 12:56AM

"Cute" is what I aim for. Always.

Date: September 16, 2021 01:08AM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 09:23AM

Cute?

Or acute?

Date: September 16, 2021 10:38AM

Date: September 15, 2021 01:56AM

Oh, I'm surprised. Both DUIs and drug offences would preclude a career in law enforcement in Canada (although now marijuana is legal here). Even if only charged and not convicted the same is true, which seems a bit harsh I admit.

caffiend, the first time I saw this comment from you, the other day, I thought you were kidding. Now you said it again and I became curious. I'm sorry now for getting personal.

But I was right about LW, wasn't I. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 01:56AM by Nightingale.

Date: September 15, 2021 02:02AM

I really don't know any details about caffiend's experiences; he'll have to clarify if he wants to do so. My guesses are. . . well, guesses.

Date: September 15, 2021 02:14AM

Well, he's mentioned a few times that he was a cop and I've noticed twice the comment about the DUIs and etc. So we don't have to guess about that and he obviously doesn't seem to mind putting it out there. Of course, he's anon here so...

To be clear, I was referring to his sub line that mentions you when I said I was right about you (posting here).

It's probably obvious, I'm just making sure. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 02:14AM by Nightingale.

Date: September 15, 2021 04:04AM

. . . that I try always to post in threads in which NG is involved.

Date: September 15, 2021 06:43AM

Hahahahahaha.

Date: September 16, 2021 12:54AM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> caffiend, the first time I saw this comment from
> you, the other day, I thought you were kidding.
> Now you said it again and I became curious. I'm
> sorry now for getting personal.

No need to apologize. On this board, everything about my life (except my superhero activities) is open for discussion.
>
> But I was right about LW, wasn't I. :)

Yes. You were right. I was wrong. I hang my head...

Date: September 16, 2021 12:58AM

Date: September 16, 2021 01:28AM

A bluesie Cash as I've never heard him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3QDDlWmR9Q

Date: September 16, 2021 02:11AM

I love that piece.

In fact, the whole American Recordings series he did at the end of his life is spectacular. By the last album he was losing some of his vocal strength and control, but in the first four his life experience and a tendency to move slightly towards the blues end of the spectrum yielded exquisite results.

Sam Hall, Hurt, Sunday Morning, God's Gonna Cut You Down, Dehlia, Walk the Line, Don't Take Your Gun to Town, Tennessee Stud, Mercy Seat, . . . What can one say?

Date: September 16, 2021 10:39AM

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 12:26AM

I won't go to jail unless I'm mistaken for my twin sister in a police line-up.

Date: September 15, 2021 04:40PM

Hahahaha! Lets hope not.

Date: September 16, 2021 12:22AM

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 10:45AM

Yes, I've been in two different prisons.

The first was Alcatraz....in Maximum Security. It was quite the experience. We went on a tour of Alcatraz and the guide wanted us to get a feel for how it must have felt to be there for 23/7. No toilets, no water, no bedding, no windows; just a steel sheet on the floor. When they shut the door, it was a pretty weird feeling. It was the longest 10 minutes of my life.

The second time was in the Utah State Prison in Medium Security for a psychology class field trip.

The prisoners had painted their own murals in the cafeteria. It was all about animals being killed, such as deer hunting. It was an ugly green inside there too.

There was a question and answer session with a few of the prisoners. One of them was asked what he would do if he gets paroled. He said he would go back to doing the same thing that got him there.

Quite the learning experience.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 12:09AM

Alcatraz is quite an experience isn't it. Even in the summer it is COLD. The kind of wet cold that goes straight to your bones and stays there. Not a lot of sun and when that is long term that will get to you too. All the claims of it being haunted aren't surprising.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 12:49PM

When I was a high school senior, we visited the Virginia State Penitentiary in Richmond, months before they closed it and tore it down. There were still prisoners there. They showed us death row, and even the electric chair, which some of my classmates sat on.

I will never forget that experience, especially since they closed it so soon afterwards. I remember seeing birds flying in the main prison pod and the decomposed remains of a mouse.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 05:39PM

Too smart for the coppers.

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 10:39AM

One night I went to jail for rolling doubles 3 times in a row.

Trust me, it really wrecked playing Monopoly.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 01:02PM

LOL. :)

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:19AM

Horny Jail. *BONK*

Posted by: KJLE ( )
Date: September 19, 2021 12:33PM

I’ve visited a locked up criminal tho. He didn’t pay tickets. & ignored court dates.
Finally got an attorney & paid & served his time.

Date: September 20, 2021 12:09PM

Funny the term "serve time."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.