Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 01:42AM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/2021/09/13/byu-student-no-longer/

"The man who shouted a homophobic slur and defaced chalk art messages near Brigham Young University drawn in support of LGBTQ students is no longer enrolled at the school, a spokesperson there confirmed Monday.

The private religious school said in an email to The Salt Lake Tribune that the man was a student previously this semester but, as of this week, is not taking classes there any more. BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins declined to say whether he dropped out or was expelled."

"The incident occurred on Aug. 26 — a few days after BYU had drawn national attention for a controversial speech centered on the LGBTQ community delivered by an apostle of the LDS Church.

In that address, Jeffrey R. Holland sharply criticized faculty members and students at BYU who push back against the faith’s teachings on same-sex marriage. The apostle urged individuals at the school to take up their intellectual “muskets” to defend the church, especially “the doctrine of the family and ... marriage as the union of a man and a woman.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 02:25AM

Now BYU is expelling people for following the prophets. Par for the course, I'd venture.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 09:26AM

Holland’s talk really didn’t make any sense. How do you defend the church’s definition of marriage? Same sex marriage is the law of the land. The state defines marriage because it’s a legal binding contract. Just because the church disagrees with the state doesn’t nullify the reality of the situation.

So what exactly are BYU students and staff to do? What exactly is siding with the church leaders and how is that done? Holland wasn’t specific at all. It only can be inferred that Holland and the Salt Lake leaders find the gay lifestyle offensive and it doesn’t belong at BYU. I guess it can be inferred that if you want someone to quit, make them feel so uncomfortable they do.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 09:40AM

Those BYU staff and employees who feel the need should get Narrow Marriage Definition exemptions from the appropriate mormon chiropractor.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 10:04AM

I imagine all the GA's are telling Holland:
"Thanks a lot, a-hole. You made the situation worse."

Date: September 14, 2021 10:13AM

I predict at the October conference coming up, they will either ignore this issue or they will say something vague and cryptic that people can take to support anything (as usual).

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 10:22AM

I think the student has been quietly transferred to another church school- BYU-H or BYU-I. He may be encouraged to become a virtual learner and told to stay off social media. Yes, the church PR dept is embarrassed, but I think Holland has likely reached out to this young man and thanked him for taking his message to heart.

On my mission, we were frequently admonished or rebuked. About my midway point, the MP really went off the handle and railed against the introverted missionaries. He told us that he was tired of hearing about elders/sisters who coward or apologized for the church and or preaching the gospel. The MP commanded us to get out on every street corner and get the word out about the restored church!!! Whatever :D

Every mission always have one of those believe-it-all defenders of the church; even for the most looniest ridiculous parts of the church doctrine. This one elder got it into his mind to confront this evangelical type of holy rollers group which were popular when I served. They would pitch a tent and hold a revival.

He must have lost his mind because he went down there to call the attendees to repentance. Elder Zeal was so out of it that he attacked his companion, who had to call the ZL-AP's to come to the rescue. Yes, the police were called because Elder Zeal had lost his mind. It was embarrassing to the church as it made the news about a Mormon missionary disrupting other people's right to worship. Members were both intrigued and annoyed. I think Zeal's antics cost the church any good PR that it had been achieving with GBH's media campaign of Mormon commecials.

Naturally, the MP made an immediate round of "Don't you ever think of pulling off a stunt like this again" talks. He threatened to send us home for such antics.

I learned that this young man was sent to a church sponsored mental institution in UT and was back on the road to another church mission; all less than a month. Since I was going home, the AP told me that the MP was quite proud of the whole fiasco. It gave him quite the warm feeling to know that a young man really respected his words, unlike me.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 10:31AM

Holland's inciting speech reminds me of another inciting speech from a short time ago. The manipulated end up paying the price by reading between the lines and then acting, while the speech maker using the coded words stays untouched like "the Jeffrey" and "the Others."

Coding. It's a thing.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:50AM

Exactly!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 11:35AM

Yhe real problem here is that the rank and file membership is never never made aware of the final outcome of these issues

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.