Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon again ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 05:55AM

good-looking, brick, 4000 sq. ft., two-story home steps from university with 25,000+ students in middle America; until recently, used with signage out front that mimicked signs of next-door educational neighbor. Scroll to page 4 to see that it was indeed the LDS Institute of Religion.

https://www.cbrep.com/listings/commercial/202104651/503-Melrose-Iowa-City-IA-52246

If it sells for asking price, TSCC reaps under $1m.

Being sold at this time, why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 09:02AM

Silly!! They outgrew it!

You can hear the church bursting at the seams!!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 09:30AM

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 10:51AM

This post jogged my memory to lookup the institute building near my old college. Looks like the church still owns that 2 story house conversion.

Posted by: kenc ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 04:16PM

Ellensburg, Washington restored a 2 story house for an institute in the late 1960's. I was baptized in 1970 and attended institute classes and church there.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 08:15PM

I was heavily involved in the Institute scene when I was in college. At the time it was quite enjoyable. It was a place where you could drop in at any time to find friends and chat. And we chatted about all sorts of things. SO here;s the question (no hearsay, please): are students at non-BYU schools allowed to talk about things like we did? Theology, current events, how to engage with the non-Mormon world. One suspects that the decline of the Institute system would be tied to ecclesiastical restrictions on what students could and could not talk about there.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 12:09PM

My favorite Institute story is when one of my brothers, back in the '70's, said "The Institute of Religion is where they teach you about other religions then tell you what's wrong with them."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.