Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 05:45PM

This individual was particularly toxic, beyond the anti-vax lala land. He was the one that would read HIV obits, chortle, and then play a snipped with "another one bites the dust." Sounds like karma caught up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 06:08PM

"(CNN Business)Conservative radio host Pastor Robert "Bob" Enyart, who swore off Covid-19 vaccines, has died from complications due to the virus, his co-host announced on social media Monday.

"It comes with an extremely heavy heart that my close friend and co-host of Real Science Radio has lost his battle with Covid," said co-host Fred Williams on Facebook.
In October, Enyart won a lawsuit against the state of Colorado over its Covid-19 restrictions, CNN has reported.
In a phone call with CNN following the ruling, Enyart said, "We have a right, even an obligation to worship him (God), and that's without government interference."

Co-host of Real Science Radio????? You can't make this stuff up.

Now he can worship his God in person. Win/Win

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 06:25PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 07:12PM

I thought it was the Moon that is a Harsh Mistress !!

Date: September 14, 2021 07:20PM

That was just up until Glen Close boiled the bunny rabbit. The moon pales.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 10:35PM

Bob would be proud of you, EOD.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 08:00PM

I've never heard of him but this story about skeptics and refusers keeps getting repeated. Here's hoping some folks learn from it? (Not holding my breath).

I'm mystified at the "my body, my choice" type attitude. I see those signs here in B.C. too at the anti-vax protests outside hospitals and other health care venues. This type of protest has previously either not occurred or has been insignificant or not publicized because childhood vaccines, etc - kind of the way we've always done things, since the onset of the "miracle cures". Our discussions here have helped me understand the mindsets and motivations of the skeptics/protestors/refusers somewhat.

The last several generations have grown up with vaccines and other effective medicines and life-saving medical interventions and I assumed that everyone was on board with them. And also that there was agreement about basic science.

When you hear scores of people all over the place screaming the same negative phrases against science and medicine and see them taking out their ill-educated ire on health care workers and even patients and family members of patients it's shocking and disheartening. Obviously, thousands of people didn't simultaneously come up with the same baseless objections - they are getting it from similar sources. It's quite appalling to see some of their sources that they choose to follow rather than the experts who actually know and practise the science.

I get the impression that some people think they sound so learned when the reality is the exact opposite, tragically. And it's beyond frustrating to witness the absolute lack of any logic or consistency from the rabid antis and anyone else who is adversely influenced by them. The screaming antis I have zero patience for - nothing can justify such behaviour.

I would be embarrassed as hell to have been so publicly intense about a particular viewpoint and to be proven so badly wrong. Dead wrong in fact. And then it's too late. Way, way too late.

It's a train wreck. Over and over and over and over. Every single day.

I remember a particular shift I worked as a nurse, not long after I had just graduated so I wasn't all that experienced. It was a night shift and we were short-staffed. I had 16 patients - SIXTEEN - and no orderlies or practicals as we were used to as students (and now that's par for the course here in many facilities, no such staff or not many). It's not just a fable that all the bad things happen at night - patients' conditions worsen, people fall going to the bathroom, etc. Even just looking after all the IVs and keeping up with dispensing meds and changing dressings on time are daunting tasks. Then I had a patient fall out of bed. He was very heavy and I couldn't get him back into bed and nobody was there to help me. I had to sit him up in a chair and then rush off to look after other pressing needs. What, you'd think, could be more important than ensuring his safety, taking his vitals, helping him back to bed, etc. The answer is there are a lot of other urgent demands coming at you simultaneously and you have to constantly assess priorities and deal with them all quickly, accurately, professionally. That's all just on a general ward where the patients aren't critically ill.

Caring for one patient in ICU is intense, time-consuming and demanding. Nurses, doctors and allied health personnel have feelings about their patients, people they don't even know, and they care about family members too. There is a picture I've seen a thousand times now of an ICU doctor in scrubs, down on his knees, head propped up by one hand, the other hand holding the phone while he informs a family member that their loved one has died. It's become an iconic image now, documenting the pandemic in Canada and the toll it takes on staff, physically, emotionally and mentally, as well as families left behind.

I was also a volunteer with the police department and one of the duties was to accompany officers on calls to inform family members of sudden deaths, usually in accidents. The hardest one for me was after a plane crash, difficult in the sense of how traumatic that is in general and how terrible for the survivors. It was exceptionally difficult for all of the emergency personnel as well as the civilian volunteers to hold it together in the face of so much grief. You can't be the one who cries no matter how hard it is to squelch your tears. That is just one incident that comes to mind, still, years later, when I relate to how first responders and medical staff have human reactions and emotions for their patients and the family members. Besides, just as a human you can easily put yourself in the place of those experiencing tragic loss.

It is compounded when you think this didn't have to happen, whatever the circumstances. It's so unnecessary. It's such a waste.

Imagine what a tragedy it would be if there were no vaccine against COVID-19 and even higher numbers of morbidity and mortality were occurring. But the greater tragedy is all the people who didn't have to die, either if they had opted for the vaccine themselves or if someone else, whoever transmitted the virus to them, had done so, thereby limiting spread to the extent that it's humanly possible right now.

We can only hope that something changes. Fast.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:57PM

So what I am hearing you say is the real problem is deliberate short staffing by hospital corporations.

Date: September 16, 2021 12:20AM

No it's not deliberate. It's an actual shortage of personnel.

We don't have hospital corps or for profit health care. It's all government.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 12:22AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 05:22AM

It's not like you can hire any old person to be an R.N. or a physician. They have to have the proper education, certifications, and training.

Posted by: L.A. Exmo ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 10:01PM

Pastor Bob was a real piece of work.

- He "proclaimed himself a 'right-wing, religious fanatic, homophobic, anti-choice talk-show host.'"

- "In 1994, Enyart was found guilty of child abuse and sentenced to 60 days in jail after he spanked his soon-to- be third wife's 7-year-old son with a belt for refusing to take a shower."

- His "Real Science" program "focused on 'science to debunk evolution and to show the evidence for the creator God.'"

https://gazette.com/news/controversial-denver-pastor-bob-enyart-dies-at-age-62/article_c6cd29a0-156c-11ec-9d47-93431e649400.html

He was known for his AIDS-related grave dancing back in the early 1980s.

"He was all about harsh final judgments. Indeed, a regular feature on his defunct TV program 'Bob Enyart Live' found the unrepentant homophobe gleefully reading obituaries of AIDS sufferers while cranking 'Another One Bites the Dust' by Queen, whose lead singer, Freddie Mercury, succumbed to the malady."

https://www.westword.com/news/bob-enyart-covid-death-update-12337203

Yahoo News noted that Pastor Bob is the FIFTH right-wing radio host to die from Covid in the last six weeks. It’s almost like this is becoming a pattern or a trend…

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 10:31PM

>>>>Yahoo News noted that Pastor Bob is the FIFTH right-wing radio host to die from Covid in the last six weeks. It’s almost like this is becoming a pattern or a trend…

It's not like that type has the ability to recognize a trend and interpret it correctly. Just saying.

Between all the anti-vax preachers and radio hosts who have died from this, I hope more people snap out of their misinformation bubbles.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:31PM

Ugh.

Wonder who's dancing now.

Date: September 14, 2021 10:54PM

Good grief, that isn't just being a run-of-the-mill piece of crap, that is like cartoon villain level of evil. I wouldn't wish a COVID death on anyone, but I'm not going to deny I won't be losing any sleep over this slime's poetic demise.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 12:22AM

Will they be playing, "Another One Bites the Dust" at his funeral?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 04:15AM

Darwin at work.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:03AM

do you still have constitutional rights after you pass away?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 01:52PM

And I feel no sympathy for he and his fellow toxic deniers.

Date: September 15, 2021 02:30PM

I'm just listening to the updates from New Brunswick where the health officer is saying that the amount of resources needed for COVID-19 patients leaves fewer for non-CV patients (as we already knew and it's not just happening in NB). I'm stymied that so many people don't seem to understand that aspect of the pandemic. Or they just don't care.

On a different note, I reminded myself this morning that not everyone who contracts COVID or who dies from it is an anti-vaxxer. Some have had one shot with their second one pending. Some were fully vaxxed but still contracted the virus. Some are immune-compromised and couldn't get vaccinated.

So it isn't a given that every death is a result of a person's poor judgement. Granted, this doesn't apply to the person who is the subject of this thread. Just saying it's not a congruent group.

The Premier of New Brunswick is calling, as we speak, for church congregations in that province to aim for a 90% vaccination rate.

I continue to struggle with the reality that so many church types are in the forefront of the noisy anti- crowd.

Religion continues to skewer itself in some fairly obvious ways. I have always been under the impression that the two anchors of my life, the worlds of faith and medicine, shared the basic tenets of "First do no harm"/"Love your neighbour". Turns out I was wrong, again. The nurses' union here in B.C. is speaking out against vaccine mandates in hospitals, saying nurses shouldn't be forced to choose between a vaccination and their job. I was shocked when I heard that yesterday - that there even are significant numbers of nurses who are still not vaxxed but who continue to work in health care settings. Visitors aren't allowed in many areas and often family members aren't given the opportunity to say good-bye to loved ones due to infection controls. But some of the nurses are on shift, unvaccinated? Wow.

The reasoning of the nurses' union? There's a shortage of nurses so the government shouldn't mandate the vaccine for them, because if they choose to quit, or are fired for refusing the vax, the nursing shortage will get worse.

To me that's like saying I want to work in the OR but don't like the masks and the union coming down on my side, telling hospital admin that surgeries are backed up so I should be able to assist with ops despite not being masked up. The fact that this could well harm the patient is secondary to union officials?

Colour me gobsmacked.

On Monday, a NB govt minister said:

“At some point, we have to call this pandemic what it is. A pandemic of the unvaccinated, spread by the unvaccinated to innocent others, others who have done their part. There is a tiny number of people who cannot get vaccinated. For everyone else please step up; for your province, for your family, and for yourselves,” said Dominic Cardy, N.B. Education and Early Childhood Development Minister during Monday’s news update.

There is quite a high percentage of population vaccinated in NB but they are seeing their case numbers rise and are dealing with a UK variant which is predicted to make things worse. They're trying to get out ahead of it by this push to get more people vaxxed.

The Premier of New Brunswick just said "We have a solution [for COVID-19]. We are asking people to take advantage of the solution" [vaccination], to prevent ongoing transmission of this potentially deadly infection.

The Chief Medical Officer of NB stated that they're following "the science of how vaccines work". "We're trying to address a critical need for people to get vaccinated. We're trying to address the need to make sure we can continue to offer services in our hospitals, in our ICU's."

It's not a difficult concept. You'd think.

And not unfamiliar to a population that's been vaxxed up the ying-yang since birth. People aren't thinking straight. Or are completely oblivious of basic facts. Or both.

Sheesh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 02:35PM by Nightingale.

Date: September 15, 2021 03:42PM

The end of your first paragraph says it all.

"Or they just don't care." Bingo. Selfishness is a virus' best friend.

Date: September 15, 2021 03:45PM

A cancer patient had his surgery cancelled literally minutes before he was scheduled to enter the OR because the last ICU and surgery beds were taken by Covid patients and heart patients have died for lack of a post surgery beds. It sickens me.

Date: September 15, 2021 04:08PM

I know, LR. I've heard of patients needing surgery for brain cancer being cancelled. It's unprecedented and truly terrible. Not only are the grave diagnosis and impending surgery exceptionally stressful, a cancellation is almost beyond endurance. Not to mention the real potential for increased morbidity/mortality due to the extended wait times.

I don't know what the answer could be for the medical authorities (of any stripe). In medicine there's always a measure of triage, so to speak, as often personnel has to quickly determine the condition and needs of patients and rank them in order of risk and urgency. Sometimes you sit in Emerg for 12 hours and sometimes they whisk you in straight away depending on your reason for showing up there.

Do we start saying here's an unvaxxed patient in critical condition and stop to ask family, if present, why they're not vaxxed? If it's because they refused to vax we turf them out into the parking lot? It goes against the medical code of ethics to refuse care. I know that heart patients and cancer patients and accident victims can all be urgent too but the pressing question for medical staff is who is the most urgent, not why are they urgent or why aren't they vaxxed. If someone is choking or gasping for breath, or contagious and therefore a danger to all in the vicinity, including other vulnerable patients, they rank first in triage order. You have to keep them breathing, first above all other demands.

I understand the stance about who "deserves" to be treated first or at all but in terms of medical ethics sworn to by physicians and nurses and allied health personnel they can't just throw people into the gutter. Medicine isn't about who deserves care. It's about trying to preserve life.

There are many considerations to be made over and above anybody's initial reaction that one person "deserves" care over another. For most, if not all, medical folks, it's only a question of keeping someone breathing. All other considerations come after that point.

Perhaps some wish that government leaders could tell unvaxxed people with COVID not to attend hospital because they're not deserving of care but first, many people can't self-diagnose and therefore don't know they have COVID or the symptoms aren't obvious and second, it's a question of ethics and morality, whether we like that or not.

I'm not defending people's choice to remain unvaccinated. I'm just saying that a huge issue for most of the medical institutions is capacity - there's just not enough beds and too few MDs and nurses. The pandemic is over-stressing an already stretched system.

I could favour a solution such as putting up temporary wards outside hospitals for CV patients and staffing them with the military. In Canada at the beginning of the pandemic we brought in the military to help out in elder care homes that were understaffed when there were big outbreaks in such facilities. However, you have to consider the equipment needs and the specialty medical staff required to care for people on ventilators and needing isolation care - that's a specialty all to itself.

It's not black/white is what I'm saying. No matter our feelings it's a huge undertaking (understatement) to start refusing care to people in crisis. Breathing difficulties are at the top of that list. Anything else comes after that.

To be clear, my sympathies are absolutely totally with people who can't get into the hospital bed they need or whose surgery gets cancelled, always traumatic for a sick person and their loved ones. The pandemic has highlighted the already-existing shortages and crises in health care in even the most advanced of nations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2021 04:12PM by Nightingale.

Date: September 15, 2021 04:20PM

LR - I see where Red Deer is airlifting COVID patients to other areas (Calgary, Edmonton) because they're out of space. (I know it's a small town with limited medical resources).

As I wrote in a post above, the Premier of New Brunswick said today "we have a solution" for the pandemic - it's the vaccination.

People. Get vaxxed!

Meanwhile, on the national scene, some political wannabe is saying today that there's more risk from the vaccine than from the virus. I hope they aren't elected next week (too ignorant).

Date: September 16, 2021 09:17PM

Alberta went into semi lockdown again but it's nickle and dime..business will suffer more and the government is fucking it up further with a mixed message. Worst example of governance I've seen in the 50 plus years I've been following Alberta politics.

Date: September 16, 2021 09:34PM

Calgary mayor Nenshi had some choice words for the premier:

"Ahead of the province’s update, Nenshi blasted the provincial government on the deadliest day so far of Alberta’s fourth wave of COVID-19 infections.

“I have (worked with) six premiers, two prime ministers, I’ve worked with dozens of big city mayors — some of whom were embroiled in scandal and lots of trouble — and I have never seen a government this incompetent,” Nenshi said Wednesday afternoon.

“People are dying. Families are going through immeasurable grief and pain and this could’ve been avoided.”

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/ive-never-seen-a-government-this-incompetent-nenshi-blasts-province-on-covid

Hope you're hunkered down, LR. The numbers are getting scary. Even with all we've done well in BC, we're back up to over 700 new cases/day again.

Date: September 16, 2021 08:22PM

Thanks for the great insight, Nightingale. (An intimate friend of mine is an RN at one of the hospitals now passed the break point. I've been texting with her on and off lately. She's been, well, busy to put it mildly.)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 01:56PM

Posted by: ohnevermo ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 05:46PM

Here's a really weird idea. Some people need to see what COVID does to people. Why not (with permission of the family) show the progression of the disease step by step as someone goes from mild symptoms to serious ones, including intubation, etc. until death. It's a lot harder to argue with visual evidence in your face.

Date: September 16, 2021 05:56PM

ohnevermo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a lot harder to argue with
> visual evidence in your face.

You would think. What evidence and how much of it would it take for the most intransigent to accept any new information?

I've read and heard a lot of comments such as "there is no pandemic".

That's when I nearly give up all hope.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:27AM

I was always taught never to say anything about the dead unless it’s good.

He’s dead.

Good!

Posted by: squirrely ( )
Date: September 19, 2021 01:32PM

John Wayne said "Life is hard. It's even harder if you are stupid." Seems to fit Pastor Bob.

Date: September 19, 2021 01:48PM

One way to cure the hardness is by dying.

Which Bob did.

Perhaps not his preferred outcome at this time.

Posted by: ByeByeChurch ( )
Date: September 19, 2021 05:26PM

We need a virtual reality show to immerse people in the reality of what suffering from Covid is like -- complete with the insider's view of the ICU and what happens to a patient who's on a ventilator.

And I do mean VIRTUAL REALITY -- the actual program.
A video would be at least helpful, but we need a total immersion in the experience, kind of like "The Ghost of Christmas Future"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.