Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 04:32PM

Our larger family includes many behaviors like this across species and even in related non-primates.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/pregnancyparenting/why-do-primates-carry-around-dead-infants/ar-AAOtNYB

And The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints doesn't consider a human baby a real person unless they take a breath.

So no abortion unless it is an extreme situation like incestuous impregnation, yet that child could live and breath possibly.

But a Mormon couple has a child stillborn, they name the child, they mourn their child all the rest of their days, but no temple work for them and no child of record.

I know. I have a sister who we were forced to mourn for for years because my mother wanted it. Not exactly carrying around a dead baby, but close.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 05:24PM

No abortion, but the baby isn't viable unless it takes a breath. I now many people who have had stillborn babies and all of them consider them one of their children. It was heartbreaking for every one of them. They all named their children, too.

Not like the leaders give a shit.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 07:33PM

two questions:

- How many different explanations/apologies have been tendered by leaders for this policy?

- How/when did this policy take effect?

'For Sure' this one won't change... Maybe

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 10:45PM

Short answer: The Mormon leadership lacks empathy.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:21PM

In my family, back a few generations, if a women head a still born or a miscarriage, many times the infant would be named and an appropriate church funeral held.

As far as genealogy tracing, many times the same named would be used over and over when multiple miscarriages occurred, which was somewhat common.

Confusion reigns if one is a serious genealogist.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:48PM

In my family's genealogy still borns are listed as still born but usually no names.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 09:17AM

My understanding is that abortion is allowed in certain cases. I know because my mother had a bishop sanctioned abortion.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 03:30PM

And so I don't understand Mormonism. If we had a preexistence abortion should be 100 percent wrong in Mormon theology. But a bishop gets to decide if a child gets to "come down" like "gentle rain" or not.

Makes no sense.

Preexistence but a baby doesn't get recognized without a breath. How many on old records of babies have been sealed to parents without taking a breath?

Mormon leaders obviously have no really good theology but just a collection of beliefs that aren't really encoded in a book or understood outside of handbooks and appeals to authority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 03:31PM by Elder Berry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.