Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 05:52PM

My neighbor across the street had a home birth recently, I believe. I don't know her except to say hi. I haven't seen her in a couple of weeks, but several different women have stopped by her house and one day the vehicle said something about a doula. That is not exactly like a midwife but helps with things.

With all the concern about covid, home births might be something that more women are considering.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 10:34PM

Amazing this is news. Home births have been common in the UK for years, probably in other countries, too. My youngest daughter was born st home there in 1966.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 08:29AM

I and my sister were born at home in 1960 and 1964, respectively, on the bed which later became my sister's ;-)

It's OK as long as there are no complications...

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 10:40PM

That seems like a good plan, especially if the nursing shortage impacts OBGYN departments. I wouldn't want to depend on the hospital not being swamped by covid on the due date.

It seems surreal that we're even discussing this.

I'm not picky about the place of conception though.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:59PM

Not that I'm advocating pro or con, but how about this for a thread topic?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 02:10PM

bradley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not picky about the place of conception
> though.

My, (DW's & MY) second child (a girl) was conceived on church property...

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:21PM

to postpone births because of how many COVID patients there are. I was wondering how they postpone births! I had a C-section with twins transverse lie. My boyfriend's DIL just gave birth on the 9th and the baby's foot was the presenting part, so she had to have a C-section. Can't imagine having a baby right now. I did have a neighbor who had a baby recently at home, too.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:46PM

What I've heard is that some hospitals are shutting down maternity wards because nurses (and other staff) are resigning if they're required to submit to COVID vaccinations. This doesn't make the national news much, but does show up in local media.

The remaining staff is overworked.

Getting back on thread, my better half and I had four home births: 1987, 1989, 1991, and 1996. We had two midwives: a senior and an apprentice. Each time, Mother (I mean, the "birthing person") was checked out by her obstetrician, and admission to a local hospital was prearranged if the midwife so determined. (Never was).

Fun(ny) fact: three were born in the bathtub! The "birthing person's" contractions slowed down at a certain point, and the midwife recommended a good warm tub. It worked! Contractions resumed in a hurry, and before we knew it, Son #1's head had crowned, and I caught him in the um...murky water. Mother and child settled down and relaxed in the tub. A while later, we gave baby a nice wipe down, Mom took a shower, and we put the two of them to bed. With variations, we did the same with two of the later childbirths.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 11:40AM

so I found that an odd thing to say. That was on the news here in Utah. I assume they postpone starting women who haven't gone into labor. My boyfriend's DIL didn't go into labor. She was due the end of August and they decided the latest date they could start her would be the 8th. I don't know how long she was in labor or if she was. We still don't know the weight of the baby. He is going to see them next week. They live in Denver. Everything was very tightly controlled at the hospital, which I'd expect.

I had 2 cataract surgeries and dentures last year in the midst of COVID. So then I catch it from my "husband" going to an art fair. I'm not very sick at all, though. I think it probably has to do with the vaccination.

Yes, my delivery was a big deal as they were a month early and I had toxemia and preeclampsia. They wouldn't even let the babies be in my room for 3 days unless someone else was in there with me. I couldn't have a drink for about 12 hours and I was DYING. I'd never go through that again. I'd make my "husband" bring me ice chips or something. It was HELL! But morning sickness was worse.

Just listening to what the new mother and father are going through over there in Colorado brings it all back. I'm so glad I'm not having a baby.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 15, 2021 11:49PM

I suggested to my DIL that she consider a water birth (such as in a tub or hot tub); she said it was too expensive.

I believe there's a practical benefit to that, but without any documentation (google this).

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 10:59AM

Our bathtub births were not "water births" as the advocates of those practice. In a water birth, the baby is born, and kept, completely underwater, and receives his oxygen through the umbilical cord. After he acclimates to the water--and life outside the womb--for a brief period, he is brought to the surface and breathing is induced.

I'm not sure what the advantage is supposed to be--a gentler, intermediate stage between the womb and the big ugly outside world, I suppose? (Tip o' the hat to Bradley and "Is the human race worth saving?")

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/waterbirth/

Interesting to note that the article refers to "the person" and not to "the mother" or "the woman."

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 12:08AM

My wife would yell and swear and throw frisbees.

And that was just during conception.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 11:34AM

I was home birthed on the kitchen table,..... actually it was on half the table, Dad was eating dinner.

Credit to Louie DePalma on Taxi

Date: September 16, 2021 11:32AM

The neighbor lady was out walking down her driveway this morning....cradling her new baby, so it looks like all went well.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: September 19, 2021 01:02AM

I am a midwife and covid has definitely made homebirth more normal and mainstream. Why go to a hospital if all is well? I have hospital privileges and work well in both environments so can manage things when they get complicated and require transfer to hospital. The hospitals are grateful we're trying to keep some people out of there at least, especially when things are already chaotic enough. ;-)

Date: September 19, 2021 11:37AM

thank you for the update that confirms what I suspected. Thanks goodness for alternative approaches during such an uncertain time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.