Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 01:07PM

I get lonesome is one
The other is to see how subtly I can plant doubt into the subconcious computer of the other attendees.
Most of the peole who attend regularly haven't got a clue as to the true purpose of the oragnization which in my opinion is total 24-7 control over the minds and wills of the members.
I have no doubt that one day my subterfuge will come to light and I will be called upon to answer for my deception. But that is OK because I will have played out the game for the maxumun enjoyment.
This should bring forth comment from among members of this forum

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 01:26PM

You will be discovered and turned into the Authorities for severe punishment.
BTW have you completed your ministering assignment this quarter?

Date: September 16, 2021 01:31PM

PHIL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You will be discovered and turned into the
> Authorities for severe punishment.
> BTW have you completed your ministering assignment
> this quarter?
Yes I hit on the RS presidency 3 times to no avail

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 01:31PM

Whatever works for you.

If I am lonesome I just get a really good German Chocolate Cake so the Mormons at church are safe from me.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 02:02PM

I too have attended church out of loneliness, and to see if I could get that old time feeling.

But after a while I realized I wasn't doing myself or anyone else any good. I did not believe. I never again would believe. I had no business being there. But I know what you mean, feeling lonely and isolated.

As for putting a seed of doubt in anyone's head, that is something I would never do.

This is the age of the internet. Anyone wanting to find out the truth of the LDS church can find it with a few clicks of the mouse. There are no secrets anymore.

So I can only assume people who keep believing want to keep believing. Far be it from me to enlighten anyone.

Date: September 22, 2021 01:21PM

loislane Wrote:
> I too have attended church out of loneliness, and
> to see if I could get that old time feeling.
>
> But after a while I realized I wasn't doing myself
> or anyone else any good. I did not believe. I
> never again would believe. I had no business
> being there. But I know what you mean, feeling
> lonely and isolated.
>
> As for putting a seed of doubt in anyone's head,
> that is something I would never do.
>
> This is the age of the internet. Anyone wanting
> to find out the truth of the LDS church can find
> it with a few clicks of the mouse. There are no
> secrets anymore.
>
> So I can only assume people who keep believing
> want to keep believing. Far be it from me to
> enlighten anyone.

AW come on!
Do some enlightening

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 03:40PM

thedesertrat1 Wrote:
> I get lonesome is one

Mormonism in my opinion is the worst church to attempt to stave off the demons of solitude.

So many other churches are so much more inclusive and inviting to people who will commune just for community.

Mormonism is more like going to McDonalds for company than a bar.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 03:51PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Mormonism is more like going to McDonalds for
> company than a bar.

That's a great simile.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 04:29PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> So many other churches are so much more inclusive
> and inviting to people who will commune just for
> community.

I agree with this. Why don't you try it desertrat? You can go in as a visitor to a mainstream church and people will perhaps say hello or send you a smile but won't be overbearing or pushing expectations on you. That's my experience anyway. They might have activities you can join in with such as meals or other types of general gatherings (however, perhaps less so than usual because of the pandemic but maybe some still find a way to still do some activities safely).

You can just look up any of the churches in your general area and read their web sites to see what their basic beliefs are and what types of meetings and activities they have. Most, if not all, in my experience, don't hound visitors to join or to attend meetings or activities but just leave it up to you to make your own choices. I know that is a new concept for Mormons and members of more controlling faiths.

In my experience with the Mormon church, where I didn't find people to be all that friendly, I certainly didn't expect them to provide me with pleasant company because that isn't what they're about, in my experience. I could have more enjoyable interludes with strangers in a grocery store line-up.

I predict that you could find some company desertrat if you branch out a little. Look online for groups in your area, perhaps of folks who share your interests such as art or photography or bird-watching or singing. Many groups are finding ways to stay connected such as online or in person in safe settings. There are also organizations that help set up telephone visitors for people who are on their own.

Try it - you may be pleasantly surprised.

I always had that awful pressured feeling with Mormons that I wasn't meeting their expectations and that I didn't fit in and that they didn't care about me except just as a number. Who needs it? There are other better ways to find company. I hope you find one soon.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 07:13PM

ChurchCo is the franchisor, the wards & stakes are the franchisees

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 07:45PM

as I'm an introvert. I never enjoyed going to church. I'm shocked when people say they miss the sense of community. I hated going to activities, but my husband "made me." I assume I was lonely in the years after he left, but I didn't have a lot of energy to be lonely. I was just suicidal is all. I felt like mormonism was forced friendships. My "husband" told my daughter, "Your mother never was happy as a mormon." Nope. I wasn't. I thought I HAD TO BE MORMON.

It seems to me that you are living with someone you feel you need to go to church so you can continue living there. Isn't that what you've said before?

Well, we just want you to return and report anything new and interesting like Secular Priest does. Like how is going with them trying to get members to get vaccinated? Have they been talking about it at church?

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 05:54PM

....with "friends" like MORmONS, who needs enemies.....

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 11:28PM

Date: September 19, 2021 04:21PM

Actually I have on occasion attended Universal Unitarian meetings and I found them to be quite open and friendly.
However there ar enot many of them near orem Utah

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 20, 2021 07:51AM

For the same reason you don't find vampires near garlic farms.

OP is only doing that which has been done in other worlds. Might get away with a black apron on Halloween.

Posted by: Josephs Myth ( )
Date: September 19, 2021 05:56PM

Posted by: Tea Wrecks ( )
Date: September 19, 2021 06:46PM

Wahrheit macht frei ?

Posted by: Maca not logged in ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 05:35PM

I'd say just don't take what's said too seriously, this is my trouble while everyone else is dozing off, my ears capture everything and I get annoyed, GC is coming and it's all going to be a guilt trip and very negative by a bunch of old men laying on being disappointed in how people are not obeying more, covenant people and pondering your sacred covenants bla bla bla. But most everyone will say inspiring it all was, etc. And if you ask them anything they'll not remember anything

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 06:53PM

I can understand being lonely and just looking for some activity outlets, but I’d suggest trying almost ANY church but TSCC. If you lean left politically, try an Episcopal Church, or Unitarian. If you lean more to the right, try any big mega church. Any large church will have all sorts of extracurricular activities, and no mandatory tithes, no assigned callings. You give what you like (including zero), and volunteer and participate in what you like (including nothing, although that would defeat the purpose of going for social engagement).

After my wife passed I attended a grief support group for a while at a local medium sized mega style church. They were so busting at the seams that there was never any clingy “are you coming back” kind of interaction. No guilt trips.

I also go to an Episcopal with my daughters now and then (mostly Christmas Eve and a few other Sundays). The people are always friendly and happy to see us, and likewise no guilt trips or demands.

Like TSCC, I’d suggest avoiding the JWs, and tiny “independent” churches. But almost any traditional non-cult church will let you engage on your own terms. So if you want to go, please don’t go back to TSCC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.