Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 05:38PM

After listening to some church headquarters insider interviews it’s apparent the church is just a big compartmentalized machine where rank is pulled. It’s really not that different than the military.

There is a paid clergy at the top. The leaders in Salt Lake all are paid and given perks. Other than having to travel a lot and sit in a ton of meetings the jobs are not as demanding as they would be in a business that had to be competitive to stay afloat.

Certainly not as demanding as being a bishop who has to make a living, run a ward and help raise a family. Being a bishop or stake president is far more stressful than being a GA. You don’t have to worry about making a living or insurance as a GA.

The church is simply doing what you are told and the closer to the prophet you get the more rank you pull. The higher up you are the more Royal you get treated. No way can people in such a pampered bubble have any idea what the world is really like.

It’s a machine that’s only interested on keeping the next generation in. That’s really the objective. Keeping the American members in so the machine gets fed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 05:42PM

You are right. And many of them started out their non-church careers on the top anyway. So indeed they have no concept of having to cooperate and compromise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 06:01PM by slskipper.

Date: September 16, 2021 08:47PM

You have to answer to stockholders in a publicity traded corporation. You have to be competitive in the marketplace and keep your customers happy.

In the church you follow orders from the top. At the top your church members think you speak for God. Leading a bunch of suckers is easier than marketing a consumer good or service in a competitive marketplace.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 05:53PM

being a bishop is terrible for the whole family. DH and I were still in our late 20's. He was doing post-graduate work and was on a stipend. We had 3 youngsters, one an infant. The bishop was desperate to move out of the ward and when we moved in, he immediately started working on the SP to call DH.

It was SO bad. He was such a good bishop that he forgot he had a wife and family. I was put up on some so-called pedestal as the "mother of the ward" and when I was gossiped about because I went to work full time, I was so frustrated by the whole sorry mess that I asked for a divorce. That got hubs attention. But it was a terrible time for us. Oh, he got a church stipend, doncha know. I think it was $20/month for some travel reimbursement or some such thing...haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2021 05:54PM by gemini.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 07:20PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> being a bishop is terrible for the whole family.
> DH and I were still in our late 20's. He was doing
> post-graduate work and was on a stipend. We had 3
> youngsters, one an infant. The bishop was
> desperate to move out of the ward and when we
> moved in, he immediately started working on the SP
> to call DH.
>
> It was SO bad. He was such a good bishop that he
> forgot he had a wife and family. I was put up on
> some so-called pedestal as the "mother of the
> ward" and when I was gossiped about because I went
> to work full time, I was so frustrated by the
> whole sorry mess that I asked for a divorce. That
> got hubs attention. But it was a terrible time
> for us. Oh, he got a church stipend, doncha know.
> I think it was $20/month for some travel
> reimbursement or some such thing...haha.

title for my next book:

NO ONE WANTED TO BE BISHOP, SO I WAS SELECTED...

Date: September 16, 2021 08:50PM

The worst calling in the church. Anyone who wants to be bishop deserves the calling.

Date: September 16, 2021 07:10PM

If U get your sleeve caught in the gears while the machine is running, You'll wish you'd gone in nude.

Date: September 16, 2021 08:52PM

I don’t think there are too many people at church headquarters you would want to see naked.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 06:51PM

But then another body part gets caught. You can't win.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 07:16PM

Yes. You are right.

But in the beginning . . . Seems to have started as a grand MLM selling the BoM. When their star product became tarnished they did indeed become a machine. The foundations had been laid and the transition from Incorporated Church to MegaCorporation Masquerading as Church was nearly seamless.

I was always told that Satan lead you down to hell "little by little, one step at a time." Apparently so does Mormon God.

Date: September 16, 2021 08:57PM

It was a theocracy in the beginning with grand ideas of building Zion. It started to become a machine when the church decided it needed cash tithing and had extra money to invest. The church became a business after that. It no longer was dreams of the United Order existing in the state of Deseret using it’s own language and growing Zion by keeping your ten wives pregnant.

Date: September 16, 2021 08:19PM

When a ChurchCo leader makes a mistake (don't they all affect someone, often grievously?), does ChurchCo make things right, even according to their basic, core values/claims?

All too often, the answer is NO,

bc that would infringe on their claim of inspiration/description - discernment which they claim is their basis.

If their (claimed) discernment-discretion isn't reliable, the whole mess turns to (very smelly) poop.

The Book of Mormon & the PoGP are little more than sad jokes now, the D&C is a mumbo-jumbo of ideas & directions from Joe, a known pedophile.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.