Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 06:52PM

When I was young and we had few temples, I heard lots of stories about spiritual manifestations in the temple. Stories of deceased people appearing to relatives in the temple, etc. So with all the new temples I would have expected to hear lots of stories but I hear crickets. Just an observation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 07:20PM

The spirits got tired of slumming it?

Last time I was there I heard two spirits say, "Thank God we're dead and can leave whenever we want."

Also, Mormons were so busy "learning something new every time they go" that they were oblivious to the apparitions from the few spirits still willing to part the veil and suffer the boredom.

I haven't heard one of those visitation stories in forever either. But, of course, who is going to tell me?

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 08:50PM

I experienced the same.

Deceased family members greeting the living.

Strange and mysterious stories of documents appearing so work for the dead could be done.

Visions of multitudes of dead people witnessing their vicarious baptisms.

Even Satan and his minions gathering at the gates until the temple president casts him out.

Maybe nothing happens because they're recycling the names?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 09:02PM

Nice list. I heard all of those all the time when I was a kid-- and always in hushed tones.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 09:15PM

The dead have been very quiet since Michael Jackson died. They decided to beat it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 09:35PM

If you'll go regularly to the temple, you're probably likely to buy into an MLM scheme.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 05:25AM

I heard all sorts of “the veil got thin” stories in the 70’s and 80’s. But there were less than 20 temples in the whole church in those days. Temples were mysterious places. Now you can watch a session on YouTube.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 06:18AM

I heard those stories from my convert friend back in the mid- to late 70s. I remember back then she got on a bus with other teens from her ward to travel a great distance to the Washington, D.C. temple. Back then on the east coast, a temple trip was a special event.

Posted by: Elvis ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 12:35PM

Personally, I have better places to go.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 12:46PM

I was once in a session in Provo sitting next to an Elvis impersonator. It was quite the juxtaposition for me. He was obviously in the jumpsuit temple outfit.

Posted by: heartbroken ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 04:03PM

Yeah, I remember back in the 70s hearing a story of a young man who saw dead people while doing baptisms for the dead. I was very disappointed that I did not see dead people when I did baptisms in the temple when I was a youth. Not fair.

I think the myth was started to attract people to the temple, just as people are attracted to places that are supposedly haunted. Ghost tours are very popular. Maybe the temple should start having ghost tours.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.