Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 12:37AM

https://www.ksl.com/article/50243084/former-bishop-accused-of-abusing-teen-at-girls-camp

From the article:

"The church reported these allegations to law enforcement as soon as they were brought to the attention of local leaders and the individual was immediately released from his leadership position to allow him to focus on his legal defense," church spokesman Sam Penrod said in a statement.

So he was released to focus on his legal defense and not because he was a pervert?

Mormonism continues to display its moral bankruptcy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 01:20AM

just when we think they can't sink lower...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 01:37AM

*Zip*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 02:16AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: September 17, 2021 01:38AM

*Zap*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 02:15AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: September 17, 2021 02:15AM

I doubt many are sufficient nerds to read the articles about this joker and the Nampa bishop who was likewise revealed as a suspected child molester, but I do. And the "spin" that [I] caught here is at least as egregious in the Idaho case. Thus. . .

------------------
That article informs us that the accused child abuser, "Dylan Kevin Whiting. . . served as a lay bishop in the LDS church from December 2019 until January 2021. . ."

That word "lay" is important, isn't it, implying that Whiting is not clergy or even an official representative of the church. Also, he was only a bishop for a year--and that hardly counts, right?

----------------
The article continues, "the two individuals in Whiting’s case are known to him personally rather than through his church involvement."

Again, the church wasn't part of this. It happened on Whiting's own time.

--------------------
Then there's this gem: "In the LDS church, a bishop is an unpaid leader of a local congregation. . . Bishops usually serve for around five years. . ."

Whiting is "unpaid" and hence not a real church employee; and having served for only 20% of a normal tenure, he isn't even a real bishop. My heavens, Whiting just walked in off the street.

------------------
“. . .Church officials immediately took steps to remove this individual from his lay leadership position in the Church. . .”

Did I forget to say he was a "lay leader" in the church and not, for instance, chosen under divine guidance?

------------------
These church press releases are impressively cynical and manipulative, written so as to make the reader believe there were only tenuous connections between Whiting and the LDS hierarchy. I'm not sure we can call this "spin" overt dishonesty, but it is certainly dissimulation.

Date: September 17, 2021 03:08AM

Where's the door to the ChurchCo department of disinformation?

Does it have an office number & a phone number?

Who's in charge there???

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 01:11PM

The church ministry of informative likely get trained my ex spook masters of propganda and dis-info. They seem to be experts at the spin.

At least their law firm can churn out the dis info like making a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 03:05AM

Why am I not surprised that the church spokesman is named Penrod?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 06:22AM

Why does Girls Camp always have to have a priesthood leader present? When I worked at an overnight Girl Scout Camp, the female leaders could run the camp just fine on their own.

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 11:22AM

What if someone were to get hurt? The olive oil head rub looses all its magic powers if applied by a woman.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 04:59PM

Plausaable deniability
The organization is NEVER responsible for the actions of the members period! period! period!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 08:41PM

Kirton McConkie to the rescue! They will find an LDS judge to hear the case, too. In no time, it'll all soon be tickety-boo (after the church pays its secret settlement). Whew! that was close. But we've saved the church's "Good Name."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:29AM

I'm assuming your reference to Kirtland-McCostco is with regard to a civil suit brought by the victim(s) in either or both cases because I doubt the lord's lawyers would get involved (and be paid by the church) with regard to whatever criminal charges are filed and prosecuted.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:44AM

Didn't old Joe pin Fanny in the barn?

This predator does his deeds in the kitchen.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 01:13PM

He raised the pole and docked the ship.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 02:18AM

So much for discernment.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:39PM

The only thing that surprises me about this story is that not every Bishop is a sexual predator, in an abusive sex CULT that forces its members to sing the praises of a sexual predator.

Posted by: Cold-Dodger ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:42PM

The church was no better than the Catholic Church while it was taking advantage of my cognitive disorder to torture me for jerking off as a teenager? Of course it was. <sob>

Posted by: dwindler ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 08:46AM

And to think that we now know that this HEALTHY personal practice performed at least 150 times a year helps to prevent prostrate cancer, so there's that !!!

"Mom, where are all my magazines?"

Date: September 18, 2021 01:04PM

I hope the victims recover as much as possible & realize this was evil done by an evil, self-centered perp.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.