Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 11:06PM

Just happened, minutes ago.

It was gentle, with some rocking back-and-forth, and some of the normal earthquake sounds in the walls, etc.

This is meant as a head's up for anyone in the SFV to do whatever is your normal earthquake checklist, because although it is VERY likely a solo quake, it could also be a precursor.

Stay safe.

EDITED TO ADD: Democratic Underground says it was much more pronounced in the South Bay, near LAX.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2021 11:16PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 11:17PM

Scary. Stay safe.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 11:33PM

They are calling it 4.2 centered in Carson. Just enough to get your attention :)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 11:44PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 12:29AM

STOP PLATE TECTONICS NOW !

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 02:40AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> STOP PLATE TECTONICS NOW !

I don't think that's a very practical idea, but at least it would be less divisive than the "NUKE THE WHALES !" campaign of the 70's and 80's.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 08:02AM

Oh no! It must mean we're in the Last Days! Disasters everywhere!!!! Better buy some more guns!!!!!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 04:52PM

I have the CA Earthquake alert on my phone.  It went off before I felt the earthquake, telling me, "There has been an earthquake in your area; you may feel it..." or something like that.

And sure enough, about six seconds later, I felt it, here in North Disneyland!

So hopefully, if and when the Big One hits, enough smaller ones will have given me time to train myself to react to the Alert by stepping into a doorway.  Or maybe I should just practice kissing my ass goodbye?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 18, 2021 05:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>     I have the CA Earthquake alert on my
> phone.  It went off before I felt the
> earthquake, telling me, "There has been an
> earthquake in your area; you may feel it..." or
> something like that.
>
>     And sure enough, about six seconds later,
> I felt it, here in North Disneyland!

"North Disneyland" isn't all that far away from the epicenter. It is probably closer to you than the San Fernando Valley is.

> So hopefully, if and when the Big One
> hits, enough smaller ones will have given me time
> to train myself to react to the Alert by stepping
> into a doorway.

It would be excellent if you are able to make this an immediate habit during earthquakes.

One bit of advice: Shards of glass can "fly" from breaking windows, etc., and these can be potentially lethal. It is really important to keep this conscious knowledge in your trained response, because you need to keep your face and neck protected (via your arms, a blanket or a bath towel or a sofa cushion, etc.) to the maximum possible while the actual quaking is happening. If there are toddlers or animals about, they need to be swooped up and protected too.

[EDITED TO ADD: During the Northridge quake, our cat Sekhmet "disappeared." After the shaking from the main quake had subsided somewhat, we finally found her in the bedroom, UNDERNEATH THE COVERS AND THE TOP SHEET, in the EXACT center of the bed, so scared that she was causing vibrations throughout the entire bed. We had to pull most of the bedding off to get to her and start reassuring her that all was now going to be well. Northridge was THAT kind of quake.]

Once the actual quaking simmers down, check all of the gas connections wherever you are to make sure that no leaks have been created.

If it is a bad quake (you will come to realize this as it is happening) then turn off all electrical usages. (This means: don't flip on a lightswitch, etc., and if you can pull electrical plugs out of outlets, this is a good thing to do. If it is dark, use flashlights, NOT candles! And be sure you have actual shoes on your feet!)

P.S. Earthquakes tend to be "rollers" or "shakers." "Rollers" are emphatically better. It is usually the "shakers" that do the most damage. (Northridge was a "shaker," and it felt pretty mean.)

If you are in a bad "shaker," it may be a good idea to evacuate wherever you are, and--once you get outside--be careful to avoid downed electrical lines and glass. If you possibly can: Wear shoes!   

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2021 05:45PM by Tevai.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.