Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 20, 2021 09:40PM

You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Some people just don't have enough sense to live.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/20/health/us-covid-deaths-surpass-1918-pandemic/index.html

(CNN)Despite all the scientific and medical advances of the past 103 years, the Covid-19 pandemic has now killed more Americans than the 1918 flu pandemic did.

More than 675,000 people in the United States have died from Covid-19, according to Johns Hopkins University. That surpasses the estimated US death toll from the deadliest pandemic of the 20th century.
"If you would have talked to me in 2019, I would have said I'd be surprised," said epidemiologist Stephen Kissler of the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health.
"But if you talked to me in probably April or May 2020, I would say I would not be surprised we'd hit this point."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 20, 2021 10:22PM

If we didn't have masks and vaccines, the losses may have been comparable as a percentage of total population. But of course we aren't out of the woods yet.

As for leading a person to knowledge, there's no way to make them think clearly because they are using their mental faculties to justify not thinking.

"What a piece of work is man."

Posted by: Henry B. Eyeroll ( )
Date: September 20, 2021 10:34PM

Covid City has recently passed Boston and is now the #24 city in the US. Americans from all over the country, especially Florida, are flocking to it for its quiet atmosphere as well as its low taxes, traffic and crime rate.

At around 1,500 move-ins per day according to the CDC, Covid City expects to surpass the following cities on or about these dates:

El Paso - 9/22
Oklahoma City - 9/24
Nashville - 9/29
Washington DC - 9/30

and reach 700K on or about 10/6.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/forecasting/forecasting-us.html

(The unofficial mayor of Covid City, Herman Cain, was unavailable for comment.)

Date: September 20, 2021 11:04PM

Date: September 20, 2021 10:54PM

but we do.

It reminds me of those old colonial era British Raj movies where the good crusading doctor tries to cure native people from a disease and the witch doctor pulls out all the stops to stop him.

But 21st Century America isn't an uncontacted tribe.

The witch doctor doesn't care if the tribe lives or dies.

He just wants to maintain his position of power and influence.

It usually takes some kind of reverse psychology or faux voodoo to convince the tribe to take the vaccine and stop people from dying -- at least in the movies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2021 11:08PM by anybody.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 20, 2021 10:54PM

That is a sad milestone.

I lost two family members in the Spanish Flu pandemic, but none as yet to Covid (knock on wood.)

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 01:17PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a sad milestone.
>
> I lost two family members in the Spanish Flu
> pandemic, but none as yet to Covid (knock on
> wood.)
My question is and always has been
What percentage of the population has died from this epidemic as compared to the percentage population in 1918?

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 02:01PM

"always has been"?

Nonsense. In March 2020, your question was

"Where is the comparable panic over car deaths??"

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2297061

In 1918, there was no vaccine for the Spanish flu. We have covid vaccines now. We also didn't have advanced medical technology in 1918. So the "percentage of population" argument isn't really comparable.

Stop trying to minimize covid. You're only making a fool out of yourself.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 12:05PM

I hope we don't see that number, but if the US reaches 2.15 million Covid deaths, then the percentage of the population killed by Covid will match then exceed that killed by the 1918 flu.

Let us hope that enough people pull their heads out, so that it never gets to that, though frankly, I can't imagine it won't.

Currently there is a roughly linear relation between deaths due to Covid per 100,000 population since June 30, and how a county voted in the 2020 election, where the death rate is 9 times as much at the right-leaning end. This can't end well:

https://twitter.com/charles_gaba/status/1439959053162229762

Tyson

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 01:59PM

It's also hard to compare, since we have an additional hundred years of accumulated medical advances at our disposal now, so a lot of people who might have died of covid in 1920 had it been around survived it in 2020/21 And the big game changer is we have a vaccine for covid. How many people would have died if we could not develop a vaccine?

Agreed that the raw death count is misleading because we have a much larger population now.

Date: September 21, 2021 03:09PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2021 06:32PM by anybody.

Posted by: Space Pineapple ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 05:27PM

I wonder if the mental defects committed to living in denial Lala Land get it at this point .... naw, I know they don't. More disturbingly, it is pretty clear the mouth-breathers don't care either. Well, until they're gasping for life in an ICU unit.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 21, 2021 05:49PM

The mouth-breathers don't care until they can't mouth-breathe anymore.

Date: September 21, 2021 06:28PM

than living.

What does your life matter when you are going to heaven anyway?

At least you'll have the chance to sacrifice your life for the tribe and prove that you're on the Lord's Side...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.