Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 04:06PM

I am fortunate to have extended family members who are skilled in the trades such as plumbing and carpentry and car repair. I've called on them in the past many times and always pay them for their work.

I have one project that has been on the back burner for several years now. It is a repipe of our old house. A family member is a plumber by trade and he has looked at it several times, given me an estimate and told me how long of a job it is. But, after 3 years or so, no movement has been made to do it. After calling last week, again, he seems to be putting me off yet again. I even asked him for a referral if he is too busy which I know he is. I think it is time to get at least a bid from someone else but I'm torn. I've never been in this kind of family situation and I certainly don't want to alienate anyone. Ideas? Recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 04:14PM

Yes, hire someone else. Your family member may be relieved.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 04:23PM

I've been told that an upgrade of an old system is the worst because there can be problems that aren't visible until the tear-down begins, and real heartache can occur in terms of just how much additional costing is going to be incurred. A relative might feel (and it'd be self-inflicted) that you'd be upset with him about the added costs and be all grumbling and take it out on him in the future.

As was hinted at above, he might be totally relieved for both reasons: re-piping can be tricky, with hidden costs, and family bonds could be strained.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 03:38AM

I couldn't have said it better myself, so I didn't.
It's all in that answer right there you have it folks.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 06:17PM

He doesn't want the job for whatever reason. It's no reflection on you, and I'm sure that his feelings for you have not wavered. Feel free to move on.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 06:32PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I even
> asked him for a referral

If he gives you one, then you’ve got your answer!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 06:43PM

Family members can be brutal when you leave "the church."

Date: September 22, 2021 08:51PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 09:12PM by kathleen.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 09:53PM

I was an electrical contractor, I tried to work ONLY in new construction.

fishing wires in a finished wall is most-often a no-win deal unless there's no other work available. that includes wiring for internet, computers & alarm systems!!

I told MANY would-be customers that if they wanted cat-5 or cat 6 wiring, I'd only do it with a complete upgrade of their older residences.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 10:11PM

Sounds like they can earn make more coin elsewhere and in less time. They gave an estimate to be polite. The job isn't worth it them.

Hire someone else pronto but you better have the money or it will be a real dragged out process.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 10:20PM

The customer usually pays a down payment (10%, up to $1,000, in CA) when the contract is agreed upon, and the contract defines how much and when the progress payments and the final payment are made. If you don't make a progress payment when it's due, work doesn't slow down, it stops.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 10:38PM

Be very careful with the contract. It might even be worth it to have a lawyer look it over for you, maybe your relative would be willing to look at it too. That is a really big job and lots of things could go wrong. Things like this come up on the court shows and shows like Mike Holmes Makes it Right. Everything has to be in the four corners of the contract, no changes unless they are written and both parties sign. There is no such thing as a verbal change to a written contract. Always include a "time is of the essence" clause and have specific things listed with specific times. Same goes for payments, you pay as you go for completed, correct work. Never give a big payment up front. Also, you want it to contain specific materials. Don't pay top dollar for crap materials. Check materials yourself. Check the license and insurance yourself.

Here is a short article, dig around under this guy and look for other things. I think he is great :)

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/holmes-on-homes/articles/get-it-in-writing-a-contractor-talks-about-contracts

And do keep me up on how things are going. I really want to know your experience!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 10:39PM by Susan I/S.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 11:11PM

Wow...I had no idea all the details of getting new pipes. Now it makes more sense as to the reluctance of my family member.

I'm going to do a lot more research on this whole process now.

Thank you!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 22, 2021 11:24PM

Feel free to write me if you need any help. I have been learning all I can about this kind of thing the last few years. There are a LOT of people out there that will take advantage of you. Watch all the Holmes episodes you can find, he really tells the truth and the whole Makes it Right is about him going in and fixing the crap work of others.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 12:25AM

He knows the job will be a can of worms and doesn't want to do it.
This is why I will not fix computers belonging to relatives.

Date: September 23, 2021 01:31AM

My sons are IT guys for corporations. I still call Geek Squad.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 01:54AM

There is a shortage of plumbers where I live. He’s probably busy and taking the higher paying jobs. I would just hire someone else and not mention anything and if it comes up just be honest and say I had to get it done.

Posted by: Ynamerom ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 03:26AM

Always. Get multiple quotes, for multiple reasons.
(When and Where possible)

A. Better all around knowledge/ wisdom/ perspectives

B. Good idea to compare services/ costs/ values/ offerings

C. Find more excellent, capable, skilled workers/ companies

D. Gives so and so a break just in case they are too busy at the moment, gives them breathing room just in case they feel they don't want to do it/ gives them an out, show them you are serious about getting er done.

Just a few thoughts. Maybe it is about money.
Maybe they are afraid they'll make too much or little,
Have you considered offering a bonus rate?

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 23, 2021 09:28AM

Get two quotes or better yet 3 if you can. We live in the South and had our crawl space encapsulated and some foundation work done last year. I received a quote from a well known (they advertise a lot) contractor. I told my architect son in law about the quote and he said it is too high. I got another quote for $4k less from a second firm. I showed it to the original bidder and he reduced his price by more than $4k. Quotes are elastic. The problem with a retrofit project are the unknowns. My son in law only designs new homes and commercial buildings as modifying older structures has been problematic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.